Going alone on 8 and 9

What do you think about going alone on 8 and 9?

It is not ok!
27%
It is ok on 8, but not on 9!
23%
It is ok, no matter what the score is!
50%

Total votes: 60

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:18 am

This just comes down to a few want to change the rules because THEY don't like it. Sorry in a game I'd still do it if that is what is in my hand. I bid my hand. To make a ban on a legitmate play is not going the loss any better. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would expect you to do the same.

It's like winning the prize but not excepting the bonus because someone would think your being greedy. It's yours take it!

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:44 am

tepake wrote: If you watch football at all, especially college football, teams are often criticized for poor sportsmanship when they run up the score. That doesn't mean 24-3. It means 63-3. When one team is creaming another they will often put in the second or third team so as not to humiliate their opponent. And they will sometimes take the field goal instead of the touchdown AT THE END of the game to avoid humiliating them.
criticized by whom? fans of the loosing team....officals of the game??? football (college and/or pro) has been going on for LONG time, yet NO one has suggested making a RULE that scoring of this kind not be allowed AT ALL.....

And they put in the second or third string players to SAVE the first string players for the next game, has nothing to do with humiliation....CYB....first and formost....if my first string player is better rested cause he kicked your kester the first 3 quarters of the game, better for me!

I can take the criticizm, cause I know it is all part of the game....I bested you, and you don't like it.......oh well, maybe you will learn from it and best me next time.....

On that note, if a team is winning say, 8-0 or 9-0 should they be restricted to only one point if they take a hand????? More points would just be throwing it in the face of the other team.....how about 8-1/9-1....where is the line drawn?
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:40 am

If the option is there & you are fairly certian you can do it.. I say go for it! :)
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

tepake
Noob

Post by tepake » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 am

wildfire_36 wrote: criticized by whom? fans of the loosing team....officals of the game??? football (college and/or pro) has been going on for LONG time, yet NO one has suggested making a RULE that scoring of this kind not be allowed AT ALL.....

On that note, if a team is winning say, 8-0 or 9-0 should they be restricted to only one point if they take a hand????? More points would just be throwing it in the face of the other team.....how about 8-1/9-1....where is the line drawn?
Criticized by everyone who watches the game.

Anyway, do you not read the things you respond to? I don't favor changing the rules. I only said I consider it bad sportsmanship and I won't do it. If one point wins the game, take the point, shake hands and go on to the next game.

You can do it if you want to. I'm not stopping you.

Terry
Signature? We dun need no stinkin' signature.

TPK

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:31 am

I'm not sure you can make an accurate comparison between a game with a set score to win, and a game where you try to outscore the opponents.

In football anything can happen, and a series of mistakes can result in a 28 point swing in a matter of minutes. If you have not built enough of a lead, you can get outscored.

In Euchre, if you are sitting on 9 points, and you can win with 10 points, why would anyone choose to win by 2? Are there added stats? Is it considered a better win?

Unless you can make the argument that you have a better chance to make if you go single (which I can't think of a case), then I don't see a reason to do it.

I haven't really played Euchre much, but I understand this to be "rude" because it's simply a choice.

But, as has been stated... it is a personal choice and every player is free to do as they choose. It's not against the rules.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:44 pm

In my opinion, it's overkill. If you only need 1 point, why go for four except to rub it in the face of your opponent?

A gracious loser is one to be admired, a gracious winner even more so.

Sterlingchick123
Active Poster

Post by Sterlingchick123 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:31 pm

so its rude to the opponent...

and in euchre, in the name of good sportsmanship, its the opinion of some..that you shouldn't do it, and thats respectable!

i understand that but i would have never thought of that on my own.

i'm used to hearts where its protocol that even on the last trick after you have won, you duck points... no one ever questions that, i dont see voluntary trams by the winning team...EVER

i'm so darned hearts-saturated, but i guess there is life outside of that room.... 8)

jdub4key
Active Poster

Post by jdub4key » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:29 pm

No strategic reason to do it.
No proof yet that it increases your ranking.
No reason to do it.
Yet chuckleheads do.
Solution=take the option away.

HW ADMINS: PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR ALREADY ESTABLISHED PROTOCOL AND REMOVE THIS OPTION FROM EUCHRE!!!

Moordock
Grand Master

:/

Post by Moordock » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:12 pm

Again. You are asking to CHANGE the rules of the game.

Bad form or not, it's not against the rules. I didn't say it was a graceful ending to a game, but it's not against any rule. If it bothers you that some people do it, simply do not play them again. But why change the rules of the game?

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:51 am

Once again, Moordock and I are in complete agreement :D
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:20 am

Let people go alone on 9.....don't they know 13 in an unlucky number?! In later games they are doomed for failure....its probably built into the programme. I know someone that lost 16 in a row after going alone on 9 and making it :shock:
always play your best, and keep counting.....

tepake
Noob

Post by tepake » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:42 am

jdub4key wrote:No strategic reason to do it.
No proof yet that it increases your ranking.
No reason to do it.
Yet chuckleheads do.
Solution=take the option away.

HW ADMINS: PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR ALREADY ESTABLISHED PROTOCOL AND REMOVE THIS OPTION FROM EUCHRE!!!
You're posing a "Solution" without identifying a Problem. It's not something that's broken, it's just something you don't like. But since YOU don't like it should we change the rules for everyone? Remember that half the people voting here don't mind.

I don't like it when a player goes alone frequently. Let's make a rule to ban more than one loner per player per game. I also hate it when hearts are trump, so, ADMINS, PLEASE MAKE A RULE THAT HEARTS CAN'T BE CALLED UP. In fact, just remove the hearts from the deck.

The rules for euchre play on this site should be the same as they are anywhere else you can find a game of euchre. If you don't like people talking loners with 8 or 9 points, tell them when the game starts or don't play with them.

Terry
Signature? We dun need no stinkin' signature.

TPK

jdub4key
Active Poster

Post by jdub4key » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:32 pm

When I "revisited" this subject the poll was almost 50/50 on this subject so its not just my opinion. I just have been keeping it current. So its just not me; its more of your peers as well. As far as not playing against people that do it, that would almost impossible to remember. As far as it coming back on people that do that, all that the Admins have to do is acknowledge it works against people that do it and this will be a dead subject to me. Till then....................

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:57 am

I think you'll be waiting a long time, jdub4key, as I don't see the rules of the game itself being changed. How can HW advertise this as a Euchre site if they have fundamentally changed the rules of the game?

My view is that you're going to have to agree to disagree ... graciously, of course ;)
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Sterlingchick123
Active Poster

Post by Sterlingchick123 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:55 am

or maybe keep enlightening people one by one, like paying it forward, isnt it more about the rescue of human nature, than about a card game?

8)