Fooms as a form of Table Talk

jdub4key
Active Poster

Fooms as a form of Table Talk

Post by jdub4key » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:01 pm

This has been happening with increasingly regularity: an opponent will order trump and their P will foom them one of two things-either a kiss (which always means their strong in that suit as well) or foom the clovers, essentially wishing them luck cause they arent gonna be able to help. When I bring this issue up they act like im speaking a foreign language. Fooms should only be used after the hand is completed; to borrow a poker term that is a huge "tell".

Sassy Katy
Grand Master

Post by Sassy Katy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:55 pm

OOOOOO goodness, you may have been on a table with me and I can assure you I foom kisses to my pard or opps at random during the game. It has no meaning about what cards I hold in my hand, it is just when the mood strikes me to throw a kiss foom. I just think they are cute. I am not saying that somebody hasn't devised this system of communication, but if I am on the table it might look misleading - I don't use fooms to communicate - I just throw them randomly.

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:25 am

Seems that lately everyone is looking for some clue as to how people are cheating. As a TD I have even been asked to ask people not to foom. The way I look at it if someone is going to cheat they are going to cheat. If it isn't with fooms it will be with IM or with a phone call. Just like Sassy I throw fooms at random. You can't take away from the players that paid for the game and it is something that comes with the game. There are games I don't foom at all and other times I foom like crazy.

burgundyrose
Active Poster

Post by burgundyrose » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:51 am

I too foom the whole time playing! I love my fooms but totally does not mean im cheating! Without fooms I think its a boring too quiet game LOL. So my motto is bring on the fooms and lets have fun! :lol:

jdub4key
Active Poster

Post by jdub4key » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:41 pm

There is a pattern to how people do it and Im just bringing to peoples attention. Ive even called people out on this about 3 times this week and the cards back up what their doing. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:45 pm

I've seen it too, tossing the luck clovers or throwing a kiss immediately after a partner orders up. It is a form of communicating. I hate it. That is why I will foom only after a hand has been played.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Sterlingchick123
Active Poster

Post by Sterlingchick123 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:55 pm

i just started to play euchre and i've seen most often a positive foom to a pard once they bid, but the way i look at it, being the novice that i am, is that the cards are what they are and once trump is called its probly pretty likely that the pard can look at their hand and say,, oh baby, its all ours!

its like in hearts, when that last couple tricks before the end of the game, someone knows how its gonna END and says gg before its over..... quite frankly, i have always hated that also.

i dont see it as cheating, i see it as cockiness. the fooms irritate me if i let them....but that says more about me then them, am i taking it all too seriously???? if i let a couple fooms get under my skin??? :?

i'm enjoyin euchre, btw!!! 8)

jdub4key
Active Poster

Post by jdub4key » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:37 pm

In general the table talking has rapidly increased; fooms or no fooms. It is becoming a problem and the moderators/admin need to deal with it now before it gets even bigger. The game I just got out of my opponent called trump and says to his P, "fasten your seatbelts". So I say if you ordered the hand on something thin, thats tabletalk. Guess what he called it on - 9 and 10.

PS: Im glad someone agreed that the Fooms are being used as a form of communication.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 pm

It is a form of communicating. But in live play, the same could be said of a smile or a frown from your partner. In Euchre, everything has to do with the call. If I foom my partner a luck symbol after the call has been made, will that cause him or her to play differently than if I hadn't? That is where the question lie.

Glad you are enjoying Euchre, Sterling. :)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:50 pm

I think a pattern would be very obvious after a game is played and could be verified with a couple of games and using the replay. I know I use fooms all the time and for various reason but never to relay a message to my partner. If cheating is suspected I would consider reporting it for review but also in the same respect I want to be sure I suspect strongly so not just everytime I see something that was just lucky because luck does occur in cards.

JUST DUST

PS - try not to call wolf unless ya see da hair on his chinny chin chin LOL sorry couldn't resist
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:29 am

I, also, hate the ambiguous fooming, however I will say something that has not been mentioned, sometimes HW is slow and the fooms appear way too late. Be careful, the offending foom may be innocent.

tSuWho
Active Poster

Post by tSuWho » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:10 am

Fooming after the call? I find that hard to accept as cheating. Confirmation of a good call, no doubt about it. What I would look for are foom signals by pards before the call is made.. the obvious one of course being hearts.

But I think the best solution is to allow PONG and a Pie In The Face Foom..(/me hopes Jonas is watching) :wink:

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:36 am

good word, tS.

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:14 am

NoNoNo Silly String TomTom!! That would mean I ain't got chit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tSuWho
Active Poster

Post by tSuWho » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:18 am