leading trump

sweetsusanna
Noob

leading trump

Post by sweetsusanna » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:15 pm

It puzzles me when a player leads trump if their team has not called it. I was just in a cutthroat game where I called it twice but one of the other player opened up by leading trump. I won both hands easily because, God bless her, she helped me out! I also see this in regular Euchre and for the life of me, I don't get it! Can someone explain the strategy behind leading trump if you or your partner has not called it?

NanaGram
Big Poster

Post by NanaGram » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:35 pm

The only time you'll find me leading trump to the opp's call is when I think I have enough trump to set them. I have often had the opps call trump when I was sitting there with both jacks and an ace or two.

At that point, if it is my lead - yeah, then I would do it, trying to pull big trump out of their hands. The danger of leading trump to the opps is that you are also pulling trump from your P's hand. If your P is short-suited, that nine of trump is a power play, lol.

brbrockway
Active Poster

Post by brbrockway » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:39 am

The other time I have seen trump led by a non-caller is when the non-caller has right-bower - particularly when the caller goes alone. I am not saying that this is the smartest play - frequently it is not.

Before I came to Hardwood I had only played Socially in Real Life...Before I learned better, I would occasionally lead trump when the other team called. Over the months - I hope I have learned better. :wink: Perhaps this/these players are relatively new to Euchre...or at least more competitive Euchre Games with players of very high skill level (Ratings aside). Maybe we as a community can (kindly) help them out similar to I was helped out by a couple members of the HW Community.

tepake
Noob

Post by tepake » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:45 pm

I think player's who do this are simply trying to speed the game up. They don't believe they can set so they just try to get all the points out as quickly as possible.

It's meatball euchre.
Signature? We dun need no stinkin' signature.

TPK

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:45 am

Being one of the uninformed who lead trumps regularly i guess I should point out that I don't have a nagging urge to lead trumps, nor am I euchre suicidal. I simply see it as the best lead on certain types of hands. A simple example is when I hold Aces in the offsuits. Well, if I don't want them trumped I need to remove trumps. Seems a logical enough move to me. But if you still think I'm dumb...so be it. Love ya and leave ya :idea: :shock:

HotPoker4MyEyePlease
Grand Master

Post by HotPoker4MyEyePlease » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:43 am

I too will lead trump (if I have enough to set I think) or also in the situation where I like to get the trump out to set with off suit A's. Very good point Terry... from one newbie to another :wink:
ImageImage

wardet el sa7arah

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:24 am

Terry's response to this question was close to perfect. If you are the 1st to open a lead, and the person to your left named trump, lead trump right into them approximately 50% of the time is the perfect play. These times to lead trump may be if you have a hand packed with aces or when you have more than 1 trump. If you bleed out the right, and your partner has protected left.....then your in really good shape. Many times you and your partner will both be 4 suited, and leading will draw out your partners left, well, it would have got pulled anyway from the other team.....and you made statistically the best play you could make.
always play your best, and keep counting.....

RockTosser
Active Poster

Post by RockTosser » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:15 pm

Simply put, there are MANY, MANY ways to lead a trick or hand. I'll play my hand to the best of my, and my partner's ability. I just hope it's a partner who can play with me :P

Now... when I get those great 9 10 Q 9 9 hands.. watch out for that opening power lead - 9 :lol:

sugarlipped

Post by sugarlipped » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:02 pm

I only lead trump when the opps call it if I think I can set them. However, when I order up an op, and my partner does lNOT ead trump, I get very frustrated. If my p makes trump, and I have the lead, I will rarely lead trump because I am not sure how thin a hand my p my have....and I dont know the strategy that my p is using....so I will lead something I think that I think my p may not have.....not a suit that has already been led because that will just force my p's trump out.
Last edited by sugarlipped on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:24 pm

I will lead trump if the opponents call it.. IFFFFF I have ACES!!!

why? so they have a chance of being what they are.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

V_Raven
Active Poster

Post by V_Raven » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:10 pm

in my limited experience if they call it across the table u may be robbing the opposing team of thier trumps ... and as was pointed out by american beauty making your ace good ..... there are only 24 cards normally it is not a good idea to lead them but if you know the odds use em ...... i dont do it often but bet money if i lead em against the call that tehy not gonna make it at least 50% of the time.......
good luck good gaming
http://www.bright.net/~double/hoyle.html

cdoggg674
Active Poster

Re: leading trump

Post by cdoggg674 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Leading the opponents trump is ignorant even if u have aces, u are only helping ur opponents make their books by doing so. Now if u have a set hand then sure hit trump but having ur aces by u leading trump and the opponents called it u are not gonna drain them of their trump by leading them, u will only help them

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm

cdoggg674, that is just too funny.

Eennie Meenie,

The G

cdoggg674
Active Poster

Post by cdoggg674 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:23 am

Yea it is funny that playing for many years behind bars that anytime my p would lead the opponents trump because he had off suite aces would he ever drain them of their trump and not only would they get their point sometimes 2 all because my p had 2 off suite aces he leads trump and drains me of a possible cut only to help the opponents. Yea lets lead the opponents trump for them saves them from haveing to do it duuuhhhhh!!! Now if u have enough trump where u can set them then sure but if u have one trump and 2 off suite aces leading trump is ignorant but a good euchre player already knows that.

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:23 pm

I guess it must've been the euchre style that caused the incarceration cdoggg674, no trump lead often leads to being locked up in an ugly room.
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!