The High-Rater Huddle

Eennie Meenie
Noob

Post by Eennie Meenie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:23 pm

Excuse me American Beauty, just because you got it wrong, and you did, how dare you try and stop me having my opinion on here. I won't be advised or threatened by you for correcting your post which was totally out of the ballpark. We can do with less of that. As i stated, if you are going to make a post, do your homework and get it right. As far as i am concerned your post was done with no thought at all and you deserve all the critisizm you get. As for getting personal Susan, forget it i am only expressing my opinion as strong as i can because you started to water down what you stated as the post progressed. I am looking forward to your next post with a little more homework done. Garry.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:58 pm

Garry, I address an issue I felt needed to be addressed. Can you not address the issue itself without saying my name?
Garry wrote:Excuse me American Beauty
Addressing me again:
Garry wrote:If you want to make dumb statements....You have made a fool of yourself... unqualified rubbish just to hear yourself talk...comments about something you know nothing about.....How dare you....you got it all wrong ...

BTW, I did not water down, I merely changed. That is what this discussion board is all about.

Eennie Meenie
Noob

Post by Eennie Meenie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:06 am

All of your comments made on the subject were obviously plucked out of thin air with no grounding at all because you would only have to have played and set on a big nic ( as you said you have done ) to know the opposite is the truth to what you said. I feel i answered them with the respect they deserved, None. I don't believe for one minute that you are a stupid person or a liar, but feel your Posts in the future should be better prepared for discussion. I have been on the site for only one year and have read the Forum with interest over that year and have never replied to any post because i believe they were honest discussions of things happening. I don't believe this is the case here with your comments, thats why i have responded to your outrageous statement. I believe a little bit of incitement happened here. I have not got personal in anyway with you Beauty, i just felt you needed to be told in no uncertain terms, GET IT RIGHT, and feel if you couldn't handle the heat i have poured on you, stay out of the kitchen and don't make statements you can't back up.

Eennie Meenie.

Sterlingchick123
Active Poster

Post by Sterlingchick123 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:17 am

The evolution of this post was great. (Except for personal attacks.) I have a better understanding why people would host and go get lower. I still would never do it. That's my choice. Hearts may have a different culture, and that is, not doubt, biasing me.

There are many things that someone could fall prey to at this site. The rating is NOT an indicator of who's the best player. The rating is an indicator of someone's ability to limit risk and maximize reward. Just like investing money!!!!

I still do see some correlation to integrity, and ethics. but less than I did before this post.

Bottom line - Who am I to judge your practices? In the scheme of things, stepping back, its a very subtle question of right and wrong.
8)

p.s. Thank you to original posters for bringing this issue to the forum!

Sterlingchick123
Active Poster

Post by Sterlingchick123 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:21 am

And I know all about losing 25 pts and gaining 10. Most of my games are like that for the simple reason that few people in hearts play high nics in pard games that often. I don't focus on the slow climb, I focus on making my game better. One card at a time. 8)

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:57 am

Sterlingchick123 wrote
The rating is NOT an indicator of who's the best player. The rating is an indicator of someone's ability to limit risk and maximize reward. Just like investing money!!!!
This is the exact frame of mind one needs to be a professional poker player......no need to be the best in world...just better then the players he/she plays with.
always play your best, and keep counting.....

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:47 am

American Beauty wrote:I feel conservation is a better word.
Again, you show the side of you that fits your nic name :)

I prefer the word preference. :)

Eennie Meenie
Noob

Post by Eennie Meenie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:00 am

I believe a Rating is something you use as a guideline along the way to monitor progress. If i have a good rating overall it tells me i am doing something right with the game of Euchre. I have never seen a lucky player continuously around the Top of any Game or Sport, ability plays a part in everything we do. Quite frankly i would be very happy to play unrated games, (and i do) but feel the best players on the site are not there.

Eennie Meenie

EzRider
Active Poster

Post by EzRider » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:13 am

I believe one reason this thread has been brought about, as one writer said it is an old issue, is because there really arent alot of Euchre players, compared with hearts or spades. at best, I have seen just over 200 players in smoots at any one time. the top 25 is usually controlled by the same 8 or 10 people who have been in euchre long enough to establish and build multiple nics, instead of constantly risking the same high nic. the odd 'newby' creaps into the top 25, but usually doesnt stay long because they are constantly risking their only high nic, or dont yet know it's a bad idea to play the odds and risk setting a 1700 table with an 1823 nic. as has been said repeatedly in these posts...a smart gambler doesnt risk more than he has to gain. and there are also too many 'bar huggers' that will play with lower nics while keeping an eye on new games, looking for prey. there was a time when I would simply leave the table if i set it and a number of high rankers sat as ops with a nic barely able to meet the minimum rating for the table. especially when I knew they had nics rated to my equivalent. Andy's 1800 tournament levelled the playing field for most of us, and was successful while it did run. several folks hit 1900 for the first time because it was the only way they could challenge their peers with similarly rated nics. the problem as I see it isnt in the huddle...the huddle has simply pointed out there is a problem...with the -75 to -124 rate a player can set. setting and resitting is simply the intelligent gambler's way around the problem. if silver creek really wants to see who the best players are, and legitimize the top 25, then the program does need to re-evaluated as per setting peramitters. I've personally been #1 on the top 25 many times, yet known of many nics rated higher than mine that were simply gathering dust because the player didnt feel the risk was worth an extra 10 pts, simply to keep it active and on the list. of course, I too have fallen prey to the bar huggers that simply pecked away at my higher rank when I was trying to build it higher...in the present system, if the suggestion of killing the table if the setter left, the vulture becomes the top of the food chain by playing the odds to their advantage. good gambling is simply....lose less than you win.

Ez Rider

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:43 pm

LOL. There is a solution I believe. One game won can be rated as 1 point no matter how high your partner or opponents are. Or lets just all play social games. Hell lets all play solitaire.
Why make a fuss about setting a high game then changing nicks? I mean not that you stole someones nick to make a game. Whats the fuss?! why do you care? if it makes people happy let them do it, it is a game no matter how often we forget about it. If it makes you miserable get back to solitaire. Or write a book. Or, my favourite, write to administration...
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:49 pm

Hey, I had to get you guys to the forum somehow. ;)

Welcome to the forum, fine Euchre Players.

Think I'll go write a book. :)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Eennie Meenie
Noob

Post by Eennie Meenie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:42 pm

You are the best Amal, thats what i am going to do, write a book and stay out of trouble. I love playing on the social table but i keep getting told i am an idiot for doing so. Maybe Mr. and Mrs. HardWood will give us all a Chrissy present and take all the points back they so lovingly dished out to us and come up with a system that compliments us all. I scored two tickets to the resurrection yesterday, wanna join me, front row i am told, could be fun.

Take care :) :)

G

Stan The Man
Active Poster

Post by Stan The Man » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:28 am

OMG ! dun go tellin amal shes the best ! now shes gonna think she really is :lol: btw Am if ya write a book ya think mebbe u can make it in english so we can actually understand it?

Tamara
Noob

Post by Tamara » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:17 am

This whole time that I spent on Hardwood was me trying to run away from stuff like this and trying not to deal with what I am doing right now. Instead of playing a euchre game, which makes me happy and satisfied, far from everyday life, human stupidity and gossips, now I have to arm myself with English dictionary to write this post. As you probably all know English is not my native language, therefore this makes me even angrier – because I need to give more of myself into it.
I just don’t get “what’s the problem?!â€
He bought my world :)

Stan The Man
Active Poster

Post by Stan The Man » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 am

thas it right there, ITS JUS A GAME, this is posed to be fun, u dont like the way someone plays.................DONT PLAY WITH EM!!! this crap about the high rated players or the low rated players or people who only play tournies, WHO CARES? we are here to have fun,everyone werried about "the best" WHO CARES? jus play the game ur way have fun n hopefully ya win p.s. DERN CROATIANS :lol: