I see what must be done here.........

the count24
Active Poster

I see what must be done here.........

Post by the count24 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:19 pm

I seen interest in 2 posts lately; "The high-rater huddle" and "Distasteful rating boosters". What's fair to do? Who's to say................?

I remember back less than a year ago I hosted a 1800+ double elimination euchre tournament in Glendas once a week. The set up was perfectly fair for all who participated....I paired up the highest rated nic with the lowest, 2nd highest with 2nd lowest and so forth. This way average rating would control points won and lost, giving everyone an equal opportunity to place on the top 25 list. I also monitored week after week who was with who to give players a chance to play with different partners (styles may match or conflict, forcing players to adjust).

This came to an end from lack of participation, players having no more 1800 nics. Seems now nics in the 1800s are a "dime a dozen" and I will be willing to try to get the 1800 tourney off the ground if there is a positive response to it. With this set-up someone is due to hit the 2000 mark....and everyone will be given equal opportunity (depending on luck factor).
always play your best, and keep counting.....

GTO*Racer
Active Poster

Post by GTO*Racer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:08 pm

I'm in. Only problem is that Saturday nights were worst for me. I always have company or we're company somewhere else. It's why I only played a few times. I also agree, it was very fair. It was enjoyable and it was full of skillful euchre players.

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:44 pm

Sorry that time was inconvenient for you....seemed to be what the majority wanted. Will try to get another consensus that could fit everyone (or almost everyone) in.

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:56 pm

Yey, about time Andy you do something about it. Hope this time we have even more players in it.
Look forward winning on it ;) hihihih
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

EzRider
Active Poster

Post by EzRider » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:33 pm

I have a spare 1800 nic if anyone wants to purchase it for Andy's tourney. wonder if E-bay would list it? :twisted: maybe post a new forum Andy asking folks which time and day would be best for them, and addy a link in your profile like last time

EzRider

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:49 pm

well....if Ebay can sell a grill cheese sandwich with Virgin Mary's face burnt into it for $28,000 and a cane that carries a ghost for $65,000.....a one of a kind 1800+ nic that belongs to someone as charismatic as yourself, I cant see selling for any less than a few million dollars. :lol:

If I get enough of a response to it...will set up post where people can state preferred time.

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:13 pm

I'm in, sleep im my eyes and all. Bring it on, just let me get last nights pizza and a coffee first.
Last edited by Terry Brett on Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:39 pm

the count24 wrote:a one of a kind 1800+ nic that belongs to someone as charismatic as yourself, I cant see selling for any less than a few million dollars. :lol:
And a guide once said that high rated players have flase humility. LMAO make it NO humility.

Speaking of E-bay, this is my all time fav:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5621298225
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

EzRider
Active Poster

Post by EzRider » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:47 am

it's taken me years to master this false humility thing. next on the list...faking sincerity. I thought I had it mastered with my first wife, but twould seem not. so, now I just play ukka. AHAHAHAHAHA bring on the games....*hick n god bless ya Andy...you wanna start the bidding?

the original Ez

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Amalthea - that Ebay item u posted, along with the $65K ghost cane, the $28K grill cheese sandwich with Blessed Virgin, $35K for 2004 soccer ball David Beckham sent over goal....were all purchased by GoldenPalace.com...they invest in silly "one of a kind" things for publicity.

EzRider - u reminded me of famous quote "The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made." Jean Giraudoux (1882-1944) French novelist and playwright

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:26 am

Just a thought....with the way HW has a propensity to throw up LONERS frequently, perhaps for the 1800+ tourney, either the long game (15pts) be adopted to give e1 a fair go, or just for the duration of the tourney loners are off the menu.
As we are all of a similar ability, HW idiosyncrasies should be minimized and the actual enjoyment of hard fought games should take the forefront.
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

GTO*Racer
Active Poster

Post by GTO*Racer » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:14 am

I don't agree at taking them off the table because there are too many times I go alone because it is easier to play my hand against two than it is to deal with a bad lead from your partner. (Not that they do this on purpose but hey you know there are backs on the cards.) That's part of the fun of playing w/the 1800 group. Andy usually never has a real loner, none of us do except maybe 1 in every 5 hands. It would also take the fun out of blocking longers.

EzRider
Active Poster

Post by EzRider » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:01 pm

I agree with Terry's suggestion 100%. in hard cards, you cant call trump or order the ops without having trump in your hand. and the odds of getting a loner in hw are phenominally higher than in hard cards. at least a 15pt format would allow the cards to turn if one seat is getting all the choice cards for part of the game. we've all seen it happen, and all the blocks wont save you on a 10pt game. 10pts, no loners...or 15pts and go nutz. I ran one of the 18+ tourneys last time and watched a game that was over in 3 hands courtesy of loners. no skill there, and very dissapointing to the losers who played very well to hit the semi's.

EzRider

gary
Active Poster

Post by gary » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:59 pm

i think the 1800 tourney idea is gr8 but i too have a problem with saturday nights. I like to hit the town on a saturday night and get my freek on being only 21 i find the temptation of all the beauties in the nightclub too difficult to resist.
any night from sunday to thursday is fine with me.

I hate the idea no loners or 15pt games for these reasons:

1)tryin to stop a loner is fun
2)stopping a loner is more fun
3)euchreing a loner is ecstatic fun
4)if ur losin by 5 or more a loner maybe the only thing to get u back in the game which makes game closer and more fun
5)i love blocking loners
6)1800 players should have a good idea wen a loner is out and thus be able to block not evry time but most
7)i think a 15 pt game is too long it drags on and i personally get fed up with it
8)and i love nothing more than to beat big nics by big margins ie: 10-0 wat fun for us wooohooo

:twisted:

p.s.: i know there are points in favour of no loners but im only listing the 1s for loners

LONERS ALL THE WAY WOOHOOO

Red Red_ Wine
Active Poster

Post by Red Red_ Wine » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:10 am

EzRider wrote:I agree with Terry's suggestion 100%. in hard cards, you cant call trump or order the ops without having trump in your hand. and the odds of getting a loner in hw are phenominally higher than in hard cards. at least a 15pt format would allow the cards to turn if one seat is getting all the choice cards for part of the game. we've all seen it happen, and all the blocks wont save you on a 10pt game. 10pts, no loners...or 15pts and go nutz. I ran one of the 18+ tourneys last time and watched a game that was over in 3 hands courtesy of loners. no skill there, and very dissapointing to the losers who played very well to hit the semi's.

EzRider
I disagree with your statement in it's entirety 3 days ago whilst playing in the pub I had 4 loners in two hands, two iffy but made and one laydown, which I did to my delight, The other went down to 4 trumps in one opposition hand. We only play British rules. By the way I left the pub 40 pounds up on the day, that's about 80 dollars.
Enjoy life