Selling Points of Euchre?

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Selling Points of Euchre?

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:45 am

Ok loyal Euchre fans? (How DO you pronounce that?) Here is your big chance. I'm ready for a change of some sort and downloaded the free trial version of Euchre last night and went through some of the tutoring. Similiar enough to spades that it makes me wonder if the difference between the two is worth it. I would like to hear some selling points from Euchre players. What do you like about this game? What's the challenge? And esp, whats the difference that makes it worth playing?

I'll be playing with it for the next 30 days but wanted to hear some seasoned points of view.

GTO*Racer
Active Poster

Post by GTO*Racer » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:29 am

Similar to spades? Are you sure you were awake? You can't find a faster more addicting game than euchre. I don't believe in spades any jack isn't what is really is. lol. Only in Euchre can you sit and grin by going next on a nine. smile from ear to ear when you get a canine and it works. Going alone w/no bauers is my favorite. And my next favorite is leading the opponents trump, makes them squirm and wonder what I have. And we can't forget the block call. Can't help but want to strut around when I call defense to find for sure that the opponent had a dead set loner. I love Euchre. I like Spades too, don't get me wrong. but it's boring compared to Euchre. Plus you'll find the nicest peeps like ME (LOL) in Euchre.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:51 am

Ok loyal Euchre fans? (How DO you pronounce that?)
U KER..
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

NanaGram
Big Poster

Post by NanaGram » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:30 pm

Hahaha, just get your butt into Euchre. It will sell itself.

You've got 30 days (or whatever, never understood that free trial thing myself) to see if you like it. You already like US, so no problem there.

My first advice is take the tutorial. Believe me, in a week or two after taking the tutorial, you'll be saying - "Hell, I could write a better tutorial than that", and of course you will be right - as a matter of fact, we are encouraged to write tutorials, but I don't know anyone who ever has. Anyway, by then, you will have learned the finer points of the game from the regulars in Smoots.

If you don't come to Smoots and tell us you are a new player, we won't know that you are new, we won't know that we should take you under our collective wing, and you won't know how much fun the game can be.

If you announce that you are new, people will speak up and offer to help. If you want to be a tourney player, please let us know. There are always TD's in Smoots, but they don't want it to look like they are trolling for new players.

So there. You have 30 days (or whatever). Show up every day, make noise. Get to know us.

Start with the Thursday night Guide's tourney. 9pm, signups at 8. Show up in Smoots and get to know everyone else who is there to have a good time.

:)

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Well! lol You U KER players are sure passionate about your game! I like that. OK, it's like spades in that you trump but I can see where it can be quite the challenge so I will see you guys around this weekend.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough for this but it will exercise my brain and make me smarter.

I think I'll have to work myself up for it! And believe, I'll make sure they know I'm new. Thanks for your advice :D :D

NanaGram
Big Poster

Post by NanaGram » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:05 pm

And don't forget to take the tutorial first, it's silly sometimes, but it gives you what you need to learn to play.

:) See ya in Smoots

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:53 pm

I know u asked for seasoned euchre players, but I couldn’t resist...

I'm a die-hard spades player, but euchre is more challenging to me then spades!!! I made a comment the other night while in game saying this is wayyy too much thinking for only 5 cards...

Unlike spades where all the cards are on the table Euchre doesn’t have all the available cards playing. That alone makes it more difficult.

And of course the Euchre players are always friendly...I don’t think I’ve ever played a game so far that there was mean peeps, nor have I ran across any quitters. There are plenty of people there willing to take you under their wing and show u the finer points of the game...

PSST if any games are boring GTO ur not playing the rite peeps hehehe!!!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:14 am

Selling point of Euchre: The people.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

GTO*Racer
Active Poster

Post by GTO*Racer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:37 am

That very well may be the case missy. Spades is frustrating because everyone gets mad at each other and it gets old being kicked. When I first started learning I coudln't even sit at a table. I was so offended by this. But since I reset once I got the gist and started over with my wins/losses and GTO is now 34 to 20 I seem to have no problem with this. Euchre players don't kick, they just leave if they don't want to sit w/someone. This was very shocking to me. They also don't throw games because they are mad. That is so frustrating to have someone bid 13 every hand and pass you spades on nil because they have a stick up their butt due to something that the opponents said. So I guess it's really not boring, just gets old when you want to sit down and enjoy a game.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:58 am

Best way to really learn Euchre is to ask someone that you know or willing to take the time to show you in a few social games with Bots. This helps you get the strat quicker and how the cards lay.

JUST DUST

PS - It is a fun game and not hard to remember what cards have been played ( LOL )
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Stan The Man
Active Poster

Post by Stan The Man » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:44 am

the bots are the best teachers out there, i have played more games with bots than i have online, is a good for beginners as well as "veterans" .

GTO*Racer
Active Poster

Post by GTO*Racer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:04 pm

I bet to differ that they are best, they don't play by strategy and pull trump all the time. They don't block loners or go alone (rare I think i saw it one time. Almost fell off my chair,) and they sure as heck know nothing about hoyle. lol They are not programmed to play offsuited euchre. Bots teach you the most simplistic form of playing euchre there is.

NanaGram
Big Poster

Post by NanaGram » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:51 am

Try this: set a table with bots and order up everything, even if you don't have one of that suit. You'll be surprised how many times you take at least three tricks on that hand.

I use bots to remind me of what I tell the newbies: "Trust Your P!" It will benefit those who don't call trump unless they have a sure hand - like both jacks and the Ace. Teaching newbies to call trump is probably the hardest part of teaching euchre. They're afraid they won't make it, lol. Wait til they learn that's part of the thrill.

You can do things with bots you wouldn't do with a regular P. You can try new things, or you can improve your regular way of play. No, they're not top-notch euchre players, but then neither are most of the P's we play with throughout the day.

No, bots will not make you a championship player, but they will help you learn your own style of play and let you practice moves you wouldn't make with a real Partner.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:02 pm

I agree the hardest thing to get used to in Euchre is the "no fear" factor and taking the risks. Could tell you how many times going on 2 trump and an ace or going for a loner and win the last trick with a 9. It what makes thing interesting. Yes you will get Euchred but you find you make it more often if you use ESP... LOL

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Frsh..I Love the game. The people (the ones posting to you on this thread.. Nana, Dust, Missy) were so VERY helpful and sweet!!
I agree playing a hundred games with bots REALLY showed me the basic concept. Yes they do not play strategic plays, but you begin to understand the concept after a few games. Try picking ALL options see how they differ. Though I havent been online much at all.. I moved and have been so busy with both the upcoming holiday and organizing a new house. I probably will not find time to play till after halloween. It is a pretty important day around this house! <wink>

The lobby of euchre is awesome, the people are sooo very nice... it is a whole other world from spades there.

Good luck.. and I know they will take care of you there!

Ps... I am anxiously waiting the coming of backgammon on PC from HW! That just rocks!! My dear friend and I from HW love to beat eachother up in backgammon on another site.. Having it in HW mode too will just be awesome! I hope they have it ready by xmas.. That completes my xmas gift list for him, and i'll be buying that for him hopefully!
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.