The G with some Basics.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Excellent question 2nd Heart and there are a couple of answers. If the deal is turned down and i am in the 1st seat and have 3 next trump with no Bowers, i would and do lead the lowest trump, remember there are only potentially seven trump out there. What you do is not wrong but if you have three trump and you lead one you will get rid of 3 or 4 of them with that lead, with a little luck. If you lead offsuit and your P had the right Bower you run the risk of the opposition stealing the 1st trick with a low trump. Or if the opposition has the right Bower they might lead it back at you if they secure the 1st trick from your offsuit lead. if i have an ace offsuit that should take a trick at some stage with any luck. You will find if it is "next" how many times your P will have the right Bower. If i do my Cronic Creek Crossing act most of the time i will lead offsuit unless i am strong, great execution is required when crossing the Creek unless you are flush with trump. Remember that you would have to have at least two very top trump if Crossing against your P. I just adore a good offsuit leader because that is the Heart of the game, trump takes care of itself, or not. 2nd Heart if that works for you by all means do it. Try the other way and let me know how you fare. Trump does have to be led at some stage and i feel that in your scenario i would lead trump, it can work both ways but you have three trump, clear some out of the way. Anyway i break the rules constantly and get blasted. GL :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

2nd heart

Post by 2nd heart » Mon May 28, 2007 10:32 pm

Thank you G. I'll give it a few tries. After all, if I lose I can always blame you. :wink: :lol:

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 am

There is a huge discrepancy between games here, in what will work in one game and what will work in another.

For example, in provi games (provisional) many of these tactics will not fly. First off, I will cross that creek so much in these games, simply because players are so afraid of calling. So, I look at my hand and think, hey, they passed, I got a card or 2, so I call, making it.. how many times? too many to mention. But would I do that in a higher-rated game? Prolly not.

Speaking of which, in higher-rated games.. I mean 17+ because there really is no distinction after that ... hear up! Quit the blocking! For every dozen blocks that is made, I got your stopper 2/3's the time. And if I don't then my p does.

Oh, ok, ill give you that one that got threw, but 1 outa 12, ...is it hardly worth it?

:):)

Happily

My advice to a beginner, call, call, call. test it out. Passing is like surrendering, unless of course you got all the jacks, then pass ;)

Get euchred! try it out. You'll be surprised what you can make it on with a little luck and a little faith in your partner. Try going next! Try calling for your p. Don't be afraid to call. Just give it a try :)
Last edited by American Beauty on Thu May 31, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:37 am

Umm there is no Discrepancy in games, it is down to the ability of each player on how they get the result. %s are something that come out after thousands or Millions of games not a day or a week. You can take advantage of the Beginner player that sometimes as you say, Doesn't call, so the better player gets to make it. Sorry but the % is still there for them if they know how to work it. The only difference between a 2000 game and a provi is the ability for one to reap that %, it is still there Buffs, grab it, call. The % of a certain hand will never change, but the result of that hand can vary depending on the ability of the player executing it. Hands and %s are extremely complicated but you can't have a different % for a player who doesn't really know how to play that hand out. That changes His/Hers % of ability of playing the hand out. Hence the Win/Loss ratio on HW. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

up a crk
Noob

BASICS

Post by up a crk » Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 am

American Beauty wrote:

For example, in provi games (provincial) many of these tactics will not fly. First off, I will cross that creek so much in these games, simply because players are so afraid of calling.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:07 am

If i may put my Pennies worth in here. I really don't think the beginners are afraid of calling, i believe and know alot of the time they don't know the true worth of whats in their hand, and without knowing the value of "Next" and "Crossing the Creek" i think there is a lable there that has stuck with them. The same goes for alot of learner baggers, they just don't think they have enough in their hand to call trump. I know several learners on HW that would't call unless they had 3 trump and one off ace and complained quite innocently that their cards were crap, i said may i borrow your crap please, i wanna go alone. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Wed May 30, 2007 12:43 pm

lol, so true. Well put.

Not understanding the value of what's in your hand, does indeed put one at a disadvantage and removes ones confidence to call.

Gotta know who we are playing with then, because if someone lacks the courage to call, calling next might very well get me euchred, or perhaps called a cheat like we so often see! ;)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Wed May 30, 2007 6:16 pm

Learning to call the cards....here is a hand which most of the aspiring players will pass...but why should I call it?...2 tricks from you, 1 from partner...equals a point.

There are a zillion variations, but I will cite this as an example and discussion topic.

Suggested hand....(bear in mind this is a good hand, many will call on less)

A spades
AK hearts
-- diamonds
K9 clubs

You need to be pretty sure that the percentages are in your favour ....having the A spades singleton improves the chances of the hand...anyhow, its your call, be brave and whats the saying...Fortune favours the BOLD...good luck.

This hand is a simple club call, expect 1 trick from a club (trumping a diamond), 1 or 2 tricks from the offsuits and if that fails 1 from partner...looking good eh? But what if I'm euchred you ask, well, did you jump back on your bike when you fell off? Of course you did !!!

GIVE IT A GO !!!........You'll make me happy if you beat me with good tactics rather than more than a fair share of good cards.
Last edited by Terry Brett on Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

In2ition
Active Poster

Post by In2ition » Thu May 31, 2007 1:22 am

a quick side note.... Provi is not an abbreviation for provincial.....Try Provisional! English 101 adapted for HW.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu May 31, 2007 9:17 am

How could I have overlooked it! I knew that. :D

Thank you for your correction. :)

there, fixed :)

lapizule
Noob

Post by lapizule » Thu May 31, 2007 2:23 pm

sorry to say but how about we all play according to our abilities and rest this case?
ok

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu May 31, 2007 3:25 pm

I can't tell you how many people have thanked me for giving them these simple tools!

It makes for more competitive games, fast and furious! sometimes calling on a the wings of a prayer only to have your partner have everything you lack!

I beseech all to equip yourself with these very simple, but logical tools... and let the games begin.

:)

Terry, what was the upcard that was turned down? And what seat am I in?

lapizule
Noob

Post by lapizule » Thu May 31, 2007 3:56 pm

I know the G started this topic and it was great but when there're so many 'experts' giving their opinion it's to much. The g has never mentioned rating or provisional he was doing great. He has never put any one down, respected all players and never a show off. You did a great job, The G.
We have to thank you (the G) for all your tips.
ok

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu May 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Yes the G did start the thread, but its not his and his alone. Everyone is intittled to give thier oppinions.

You can read them or not, if your tired of the thread there is a button at the bottom that says stop watching this thread you click that and you will stop being notified when someone posts to it.

Everyone in every game develops their own style. In pard games people who pard together regularly develop a pard style that works for the two of them.

There are basic tips and stratagys in all games (which is why we have built in tutorials in the games) and then there are some more complex ones that have proven the test of time.

If ANYONE wants to come and give a tip or question a tip given they are free to do so :) you can use it or not, but lets not start saying who can or can't post. All members of the discussion board are welcome to add thier insites to all posts done here as long as it is done in a discussing and respectful manner.

Thank you

I am woman I am strong

lapizule
Noob

Post by lapizule » Thu May 31, 2007 4:20 pm

OK I agreed with you wholeheartedly. Anyone is allowed to post and give their opinion. What gets up my nose is so called 'experts' blowing their own trumpets on this topic instead of giving tips and being helpful.
ok