The G with some Basics.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Re: The G with some Basics.

Post by American Beauty » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:23 pm

lol holy ! not only is it a Next call, but a Next call with 3 of a kind! My heart would be pounding. I'd be saying to myself, pass, please pass. :) Because I know if they pass, then me and my pard will rule, seeing I have 3 Next!!! <<<that's disserving of 3 exclamation points! ;) How sweet is that. :) :D

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:14 am

Now now AB, u know Josh would always have 3 spades when clubs have been turned down....one to loosen the sods, one to dig the hole, and one to bury the opponents.
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I would have thanked you all sooner but this week's been filled with fix-it-yourself projects. Now if I can just figure out a way to get my partner to call next....or for gods sake not to cross from the first seat!!! Being new to HW I'm stuck playing at the lower tables which is great fun but also comes with a whole load of frustration! Cheers everyone!! Hope your all having great weekends!!

Pat

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:22 am

Have had some wonderful IMs and emails about how players have improved their game. I thank you very much but i can take not one ounce of credit, these are basic rules and Hoyle is the guy ya gotta email to thank. Sorry have mislaid his address at this time but he knows he is the man. All the players and i did was post some % guide lines to help. There are the sceptics out there that will not accept that Hoyle works most of the time, approx 60-65% in the 1st seat. Crossing in the 1st seat works approximately 30% of the time. It is just plain common sense that if the Dealers P doesn't order it and the dealer turns it down, you gotta be loco to call the opposing colour unless you are very strong indeed. Keep improving guys it's getting damn hard to win out there. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G
Last edited by callme7 on Tue May 12, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Have just played 4 games with a wonderful player on the site, we lost 0-4 and for some reason my P just didn't want to call "Next" even though i know he is a next believer when the chips are down. He called it once and made it, he crossed in the 1st seat 9 times and got set in 8 of them. I replayed the games and found that if he had done the "Next thing" we would have won the Match 3-1. This is just a reminder that if you cross weak you will get slaughtered. Needless to say i was loaded with Next most of the time. In saying this again, don't follow next blindly as you do need to know when crossing is the thing to do. The dealer in normal circumstances won't turn the deal down lightly. Something for thought, if the dealer is loaded in next and they turn it down especially in a lower rated game where players don't as a rule stick to next, you will find the 1st seat will cross because they don't have any Next cards in their hand. What i am saying here is the dealer may well have done Him/Her out of a point. It's tough, just remember the power of the % call, it works most of the time. Good calling. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Todd Johnson
Active Poster

Post by Todd Johnson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Harden1313 wrote:Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I would have thanked you all sooner but this week's been filled with fix-it-yourself projects. Now if I can just figure out a way to get my partner to call next....or for gods sake not to cross from the first seat!!! Being new to HW I'm stuck playing at the lower tables which is great fun but also comes with a whole load of frustration! Cheers everyone!! Hope your all having great weekends!!

Pat
I cross from first with 10 queen all the time and make it. It depends on your offsuit, like if i have Ace queen in offsuit. People who call next every hand will get beat by players like me almost every game, we will exploit it. I don't follow Hoyle, I make my own rules. :)

Also, I find that people will have a stronger suit in the upcard, but will pass only to call next and get euchred. king, right, offsuit ace is just as good to call from first, you just need to play it correctly.

There G goes again, throwin his percentages out there. Hehe...

-Todd

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:01 am

Yep you are right Todd, i cross alot of the time and make it most of the time, execution of the hand is paramount. But you still have to have some kind of hand in crossing and alot of the time you will be going against your P. With all things being equal Crossing doesn't work semi automatically like next does, when the dealers P hasn't ordered it and the dealer has turned it down it's a well known fact in those circumstances next works approx 60% of the time (Blindly) crossing doesn't work like that, far more thought has to go into it. You and everyone else can go next with no next cards in your hand on a daily basis and make it a hell of alot of the time, try Crossing with one or no trump it just doesn't work very well because most of the time your P is waiting for a next call. I watch so many games on this site and the real good players go next most of the time in the 1st seat, you included, the trouble with crossing is you really do have to wait for something of a hand in the 1st seat. Here is a challenge for ya, go blind next in the 1st seat for 500 games, then blind cross in the 1st seat for 500 games, you and i both know what will be a mile in front after the finish. I am not saying Crossing doesn't work, i cross more than most, a little more thought has to go into it because you are most likely leaving your P out of the call. Have fun. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G
Last edited by callme7 on Tue May 12, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi everyone, been a bit busy.....

One of the biggest problems for me seeing as I'm in the 1550-1650 range is the vast amount of people playing in that point spectrum that refuse to call next unless they're holding a monster hand and in turn chew you out for doing it and getting euchred. (of course they're also the first to compliment you when you make it as well) A lot of this complaining has unfortunately made me more timid to call next when I'm thin, which is funny since I do much better when I regularly call next and call suit for my partner when they're dealing. Oh well, live and learn..and grow a pair may be the advice I need!! :D

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 pm

Pat, don' t be totally blinded by next that you can' t see a good cross when it' s there. But as we have said before, once the deal has been turned down, all bagging aside, you do need some kind of a hand to cross, because if you haven't, most of the time you will be set. You are calling for yourself if you cross in the 1st seat. It would be a bonus if you hit your Ps hand. I get into a huge amount of trouble with my Ps for crossing, but the fact is i do make it most of the time. Don' t worry about your P having a go at you. Todd gave a good example of a cross call, to me that hand is a luxury cross hand. Keep calling it and don' t worry about the Euchre. As time goes on you will get to know what will get you through. Good luck. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Ratwhowillbeking
Noob

Post by Ratwhowillbeking » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:01 pm

There goes Todd and his ego again tryin to show off--or at least make it sound like he's better than he is :D

Players trying to learn need to crawl before they walk--and shouldn't think too much about ordering your opponent with JK off Ace or crossing with Q10 off Ace.

If you are still trying to get out of the 15/16/1700s, stick with calling more than you are used to, try to call next more than cross, and figure out which hands you should lead trump with and when you shouldn't. Then work on reading cards and your opponents styles--you will naturally pick up on when and how to call on really weak hands and how to make those calls.

TheNovice

Post by TheNovice » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Why is it that the top players on hardwood do not try to post tips. That is the ones I want to hear from.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:56 am

Hi Novice,
Do you not think the top players have given anything to this Forum. Name the players you think are the top ones and i am sure they can give you a different perspective on things. Very good luck :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Cadienne
Active Poster

Post by Cadienne » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:36 am

The ones with top ratings might just be starting with a new nic so they will have a low rating. Also the nics here in the forums might not be the nics used in the games.
If you want the rainbow, you have to pass through the rain.

In2ition
Active Poster

Post by In2ition » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:58 am

The Novice,
I can count at least 10 people i know of on this posting that have 1800+ ratings and have contributed either their opinion of a varied form of play that has worked for them, or supported something someone else has added that has worked for them.
Playing well and earning your way to high nics is not something we wish to keep secret. In fact it is extremely frustrating that there are not more players with higher rated nics as it can be very difficult to fill 4 seats in a game above 1900 sometimes. It is in the high rated players interests to see that more players get up there so as to ensure more higher games are played. It is the only way to keep the ceiling raising.
People that mock high rated players in lobby or in game and automatically assume that they must be cheating, will receive nothing but a short reply, if not a hasty boot from the table. People that come to a game and ask if anyone is willing to help them out after the games are done with, will 9 times out of 10 receive a warm welcome and a helping hand. It is only through this forum that i went from a 1500 average to a consistent 1900+ bunch of nics. I asked for help with sincerity..... was willing to go through the motions of re-learning how to play euchre (not just toss cards) and watched my ratings increase time and time again.
So i throw the ball back to you The Novice. If you are sincere in your yearnings to learn a better game, and find out why people can achieve those ratings you speak of, then either Private Message someone on here, or find a high set game in HW and ask politely if someone is willing to play a few games with you and help you improve your game. You will find that the players are very approachable and keen to see more players rise through the ranks.
Confucious Say : War not determine who is right.... War determine who is left!

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:59 am

Hi guys. Novice, just thought I'd say from experience on here that the people giving advice in this thread and others ARE top rated players. I introduced myself back in January and was happy to see how warm everyone was and how willing they are to help. I'm trying to apply their advice right now and have yet to start asking for direct help like In2ition, but plan to pretty soon. The common traits that most of the top players share are not only a love of the game but also a desire to help others grow as players. Other than a horrible hiccup in my games this past week I've seen a big change for the better in my play. :lol: Now the key has been to just get in as many hands as possible and learn from my screw ups and successes. Just ask for help and you should get it Novice. :wink: