The G with some Basics.

Todd Johnson
Active Poster

Re: The G with some Basics.

Post by Todd Johnson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:42 am

Ratwhowillbeking wrote:There goes Todd and his ego again tryin to show off--or at least make it sound like he's better than he is :D

Players trying to learn need to crawl before they walk--and shouldn't think too much about ordering your opponent with JK off Ace or crossing with Q10 off Ace.

If you are still trying to get out of the 15/16/1700s, stick with calling more than you are used to, try to call next more than cross, and figure out which hands you should lead trump with and when you shouldn't. Then work on reading cards and your opponents styles--you will naturally pick up on when and how to call on really weak hands and how to make those calls.
Besides the smartass remark, he is right. Listen to this man, he has watched millions of replays to learn how to play. :lol:

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:51 am

Ratwhowillbeking wrote:Players trying to learn need to crawl before they walk--and shouldn't think too much about ordering your opponent with JK off Ace or crossing with Q10 off Ace.

If you are still trying to get out of the 15/16/1700s, stick with calling more than you are used to, try to call next more than cross, and figure out which hands you should lead trump with and when you shouldn't. Then work on reading cards and your opponents styles--you will naturally pick up on when and how to call on really weak hands and how to make those calls.
This is probably the best advice I've seen to date.

Also, keep these words in mind:

...you will naturally...
[/size]

Euchre is a game of instinct. Therefore two things must work in your favor in order for instinct to flow. First off, you must feel comfortable with your partner. Have you ever noticed how you play better with someone you enjoy partnering with? One thing I always tell a new partners is that I need to be able to lose with them before I can win with them.
I won't explain why, just think on it.
And secondly, do the same for your partner. Be supportive. The more comfortable you feel, the more likely you will try calling even though you know it might fail.
It is written.

Ratwhowillbeking
Noob

Post by Ratwhowillbeking » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Ahh good point, I missed the obvious… having a partner you are compatible with is crucial, and this usually takes more time than when you play 3 random games w/people. Stick with partners you are comfortable with

As for The Novice’s wondering where the top rated players are…. Todd is the highest rated player in hardwood. Don’t let that fool you though-whenever he sits down against Rick and I, we will embarrass him for the fourth straight time and he’ll be watching replays again (although never admitting it)

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Todd admit it, maybe not to you! ;)
lol remember when you used to ask me to play and I would say yes, ...but will you still love me tomorrow?

Ratings..,
yEaH, they're all about as big as your egos. heh
;)

all the universe conspires to assist those who are in persuit of their destiny

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm

I just love this sideshow, where do i bye tickets for the main event. I have always preferred watching to playing, stuff the replays though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Replays are invaluable tools.
Robby just made an amazing loner. I had to watch the replay.
Upcard was coming to me, it was a bower, the Jack of Hearts. Watching the replay, by removing the avetars I can see that he had in his hand the Ace of Hearts, the rest of the Aces with a King and with that -- decided to go alone. Looking at all the other cards, including the upcard, which was discarded of course, there was only 4 trump dealt that hand. When I asked what possessed him to call the loner, he answered
Robby wrote:I seriously said what the hell.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Ok something has been bugging me for along time. Players that call trump, or their P calls trump. The 1st trick is secured let's say with an offsuit, i lead the Left Bower and my P trumps it with the Right and leads the Ace of trump back to secure the 1 point to this stage. Unless you are pretty sure you can finish the hand off with good offsuit or trump, Leave the lead with your P when he leads the left Bower, there is nothing worse than players doing this scenario and having no offsuit and stunting your chance of 2 points. By all means lead the Ace back if you are pretty sure you can get the two. Have faith in your P. There is nothing worse than leading a low offsuit that hasn't been led on the 4th card, you are gambling that your P will take it, leave him/her with the lead after the 2nd trick has been secured, this puts you in a much better position to take the 5 tricks, your P may well have 2 aces and never get to use them, they may not, but remember you still have the Right Bower and the point is yours anyway. Not only beginners are guilty of this. Hope this helps a little. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Yes never understood that play Ennie unless you know you have TRAM by taking the lead away from pard. Like wasting a point card and why not take 2 if you can or have a possibilty to get 2, why settle for less.

JUST DUST

PS - By the way I think this has been an excellent post in here and will help many players to improve their play if they read through it and wade over the some of the neg. comments about it. Good info in my opinion.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Euchre Buff
Noob

Post by Euchre Buff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:02 am

jus want to say that this thread has turned out to be so dang good.
thanks G and the rest for information that is like a library. i am sure you will come up with more stuff in the future but it is truly great to be able to scour around in here,
thanx. Buff. 8)

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Thank you Buff. Yes this is pretty good information that we all need to look at from time to time. One thing i will say though, if HW introduces the real mackoy, 7s up, alot of these Basics get watered down a little, eg. Crossing becomes a little easier, the "Next" call is still important but have found if the deal is turned down, alot of the time you can go with your own hand and Cross successfully. You have the Potential of 9 trumps being out there, also the Kitty has 12 dead cards as to the 4 now, very interesting. Please HW, hurry it up. Basically though the same rules apply. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:36 pm

7up's will change the strat. a lot I think and really make it a popular game amoung the players, bet half the games played will end out that format.

JUST DUST

Have 5 hearts and the bid and still get euchred or not get the euchre on the op. LOL.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Wharfie

Post by Wharfie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:45 am

i am a Kiwi living in Auckland and i find this site amazing. The forum is excellent, in particular this post. G whoever you are this is like a reference euchre book online for us Dummies. your reference to the next call and crossing the ditch is great, but as you are a Kiwi you would know that with the long deck we play with these calls are not so important in my humble opinion with the 7 up deck, but they certainly are with the shorter one. are you around much to help players that are not so great. good stuff kiwi. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wharfie

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:17 pm

Ok I have something for you all. I just got jumped for leading next in the 1st seat when it was picked up by the other team. So I'll put it on the table for discussion. When you're in the first seat and trump has been picked up by your opponents what would you lead? I know it depends on what's in your hand of course so I'll give you two possible hands for say spades being trump. (though I'd like to have a general answer for the average hand too)

1: J - 9 hearts, Q of clubs, 10 - Q diamonds

2: A-Q clubs, A-9hearts, 9 spades

I've always thought it's pretty much a gamble when you lead and don't have much in your hand. Because the next suit has one less card out I think the chance your p has one goes down (increasing the chance of making his trump good) and it makes your random throw turn into more of an educated guess instead of blind chance. Am I right or do I need to rethink this? Hope I explained it well enough. :?

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:03 am

Pat, i don't profess to have all the answers but in your 1st scenario i would lead either the 9 of hearts or the 10 of diamonds. There is the possibility of 5 next cards being out and normally if the opposition make trump and you lead next the player probably won' t have it or has the Ace to it, remember they have the advantage of a cleansed hand (discarding) they more than likely won' t have next, this is a general % rule and not always correct. I know you are cleaning a suit out but i feel that 1st hand of yours won't take a trick anyway. If your P makes trump try leading him trump or next, lead the opposition the long suit, meaning the other colour from trump, 6 in #. Over many thousands of hands it' s a fact that the pair making trump will have less next cards than the opposition, this isn't rocket science, make what you want from those figures. Hey we all know this script will get slaughtered at times but you can get on the right side of the percentages with it hahaha.
Scenario # 2. i would lead the Ace of hearts or the 9 of spades, although the 9 of trump won't take a trick Pat, you have two off aces and they could well figure in the finish. This is a generalization and i hope it helps a little. Ps that have Paired for many games together probably have a strategy worked out but this will start the ball rolling. Point for thought, count how many times the opposition make trump and you lead the ace of "Next" it gets trampled on about 7 times out of 10 on that 1st lead. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

maktub
Active Poster

Post by maktub » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:01 am

callme7 wrote:Scenario # 2. i would lead the Ace of hearts or the 9 of spades, although the 9 of trump won't take a trick Pat, you have two off aces and they could well figure in the finish. This is a generalization and i hope it helps a little. Ps that have Paired for many games together probably have a strategy worked out but this will start the ball rolling. Point for thought, count how many times the opposition make trump and you lead the ace of "Next" it gets trampled on about 7 times out of 10 on that 1st lead. :) :)
And that is precisely that reason I tend to hoard my aces. (old Heart's patterns die hard.)
In this scenerio I find myself doing something very unconventional. Knowing that the Ace of Clubs is very likely to get trumped... actually, let me take this one step further... knowing that any club is likely to get trumped, I lead it. I would most-likely lead my lower one in hopes that my Ace might make good later, thus being an unconventional lead. I lead it counting on it being trumped, thereby giving my little 9 an opportunity... maybe a slight possiblity of being useful. Because almost always it will be the person to the left of me that takes it and then he/she will probably lead out with another ace of something I don't have. And even though their partner could trump it, they won't; it being an Ace. Then wham, in comes my 9. Or they'll suck up my little nine with trump, but at least I cleared a way for it and gave it a fighting chance. Because everyone knows how easy it is to underestimate My Lil 9.
However, note that many would lead the 9 to flush out trump in an attempt to make their Aces good.
In the first scenerio it almost doesn't matter what you lead, cuz that hand just sucks. ;)
It is written.