Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:38 am

Very well informed answer "up a crk" :roll: :roll:

Eennie Meenie

The G

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:10 am

well who was this player that carried you through all these game...she needs a medal or something :lol:

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:40 am

Medal was posted last week, she shoulda got it by now, damn i will have to get her another one. This player is continually blessed with amazing cards, just wondering if her and the dealer got something going. Any female dealers out there? 8) 8)

Eennie Meenie

The G

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:10 am

well i like to think this person has amazing skills...but whatever works :wink: and there is nothing wrong with being extra nice to the dealer :D

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:34 am

3rd seat callers, stop calling on crap and let the dealer get set. Even though i haven't played too much in the last month iv'e been watching with great interest players calling from the 3rd seat and getting absolutely hammered. (yours truly included) My excuse is that i am addicted to calling, what's yours? Remember that once the deal has been turned down and the 1st and 2nd seat have passed, why call unless you are extremely strong, they will nail you. In the last 150 games i have played or watched 76 hands were called from the 3rd and they were set 59 times or 78%. Most players that have played for awhile know that the odds of calling from the 3rd seat and getting a point is very difficult unless you have an excellant hand. My opinion is the 78% is not too far off the normal set rate for that seat. The Next call is approx 70% successful and it is genuinely thought that the 3rd seat is the same but the other way around, unsuccessful. It's a no no Boys and Girls. Happy calling. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Baluka
Noob

Post by Baluka » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:26 am

this blocking thing is a bad nitemare to me. can someone throw some more lite on this please. i seem to do it at the wrong time, and yet have watched games where the good players are very good at it. if i dont block they get a loner, and if i do they havent got one. dang there has to be a happy medium on this thingy. i know players have written stuff here but can we go deeper.
Baluka

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:55 am

Baluka if you are fairly new to the game don't even think of Blocking. Learn the other aspects of the game before you even look at it. Just remember that most Blocks are wrong and if you never blocked once you will probably be in front. But in saying this there certainly is a time to block with the 9s up deck. I tend to Block if we are 7, 8 or 9 and the opposition are behind a little, they turn a Bower up and i hold zero in my hand to stop a loner. Normally in those circumstances we will have two more deals so the chance of us going out on those are good. There are other times to block but they are personal views. Loners in general are a curse because i don't believe for one minute they are worth 4 points with the 9s up deck. In my opinion they should be worth 3 points with the short deck, hell every 3.65 hands dealt are loner potential, in other words they are a Dime a dozen. I also think that if you are well in arrears DON'T block, that's the beginning of the end for you. I can't think how to go into this much deeper but someone else might be able to help. Good Luck. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Doc
Active Poster

Post by Doc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:25 pm

I've only checked this thread a few times, but every time I seem to see something about blocking. And since I don't play alot any more, might as well give up all my secrets.

Convention says it's best to block when you have an advantageous position, and a loner on the part of your opponents could put them back in it or end the game. (assuming you can't stop the loner ofcourse)
Therefore the only real time I'd expect it is when we are on 9 and our opponents are on 7 or less. If eldest (left of the dealer) can't stop a loner, he should order it. This also acts as a form of communication to 3rd seat, since he knows his partner has one sure trick in the suit turned (otherwise he would have blocked). Therefore, if 3rd seat sees 2 solid tricks in his hand he can order it himself to go for the win.

Apart from that, you'll notice many ppl who only block when jacks are turned, and it works rather well for them since the right bower is such a big ingredient in a loner.

In the end though, there's no substitute for experience. The more you play, the more you should get a feel for when a loner is comming. Maybe it's just your brain recgonizing the cards in your hand and how an opponent had a loner the last time you had similar cards or just that it's been about 3.65 (or however many) hands since the last loner and you certainly don't have it.

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 pm

what the heck is a noob :shock: and why does it have it under my name i think im offended :lol:

Doc
Active Poster

Post by Doc » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:09 pm

It's for people that make really lame posts and fail to say anything interesting or insightful. :P

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:37 pm

It has to do with the amounts of posts you've posted. Noob=Newby. :)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

cowboyschick
Active Poster

Post by cowboyschick » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:35 pm

well then active poster must be someone who ramblings on and on and on and on and on and on....get the point doc :D

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:06 pm

It takes a very good player to throw off for the 3rd or 4th trick, but if your P calls Trump and the opposition lead the same suit twice in the early stages, DON'T throw a small Trump on the second lead, it will be wasted, throw off unless you have a high one, let your P take care of it. More than likely the player to your left will trump it as well so your small trump would be a total sacrifice. You will find that if you do throw off, that trump more often than not will take the next trick if your P leads offsuit back. If it doesn't it will surely come in handy at the end if the player to your left has another Trump, it will make them play it and your P will take the last with any luck if needed. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

In2ition
Active Poster

Post by In2ition » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:54 am

ahhh yes the "sluff". Gotta be the best way to turn a 1 pointer into a 2 pointer. Have faith in your pard for at least 1 trick! Everyone writes it in their profile, but very few seem to back it up with their playing style. If 1st lead is a 9 or ten offsuit, and you play next.... let it go in the hope your pard can pick it up and lead trump back to you drawing them out of the opp. There are no perfect scenarios in euchre..... it wont work every time, but if you made trump, you've got a few back there, dont waste them and watch your pard throw the ace that would have had the trick for you. Hunt for the 2 points every hand you play. You never know where they may come from.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:49 am

Have seen alot of the newer players in games when having both Bowers in hand and going for the Euchre, leading them out after each other and coming unstuck, when in my opinion should have SPLIT them. Remember this is a pairs game, bring your P into play, they may well have your offsuit or a small trump. Try and make the opposition use trump on your offsuit then they are in trouble. If the opposition have called without any Bowers it's a pretty safe bet that they have 3 Trump at least and good offsuit. Lead a Bower to start and then your best offsuit, you will be pleasently surprized most of the time with the result, but lead a Bower 1st because the next lead is yours and if you play an Ace they will have to trump it, i doubt very much on the 3rd lead that they will lead trump if they only had three. GL. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G