The G with some Basics.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Glad the Post is being of some help x MISSY x. What you are doing most of the time when you call NEXT, is calling what the opponents don't have or want. (Bagging aside) When you cross the RIVER as you call it you are probably calling what they are strongest in unless you have them in your hand, and even then it's a tough call to succeed in unless you are strong. Double leading is the curse of Euchre players especially when you lead them at your P and Trump HASN'T been led, you will probably help set yourselves unless your P is strong. The main damage a double lead does is it makes your P play a very high card to take the trick, a card that shouldn't be played to trump in on a double lead. If the 4th player has trump they don't have to play it, now your P has the job of leading something that the player to their left won't trump with that little trump.
Have fun. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

x MISSY x
Big Poster

Post by x MISSY x » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:31 pm

ohhh shoot its not river wt heck was i thinkin..I meant crossin the creek hehe yea i kno i kno im a blonde.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:09 pm

/me kicks Missy.......... :lol:
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:24 am

!!!!!! WhaTzz with aLL this KissIng Going On! BaHHh HuMbUG !!!!!!

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:34 am

Point for thought. What do you do when struggling like hell to get a reasonable hand. One thing i am doing alot lately is ordering the deal from the 3rd seat if i have a pretty good hand of what's turned up. I do this for two reasons, (1) am fairly sure the dealer will turn it down. (2) basically have no next if my P called NEXT. It also stops the dealer bagging my P which everyone seems to be doing at the moment. I detest the 1st seat not calling next for me when they have a Bower. I had a P the other day that crossed on me 8 times from the 1st seat and got set seven times, then he said he was weak in next with the Right Bower and a couple of off Aces, four times, but crossed with a crappy hand of Left Bower and Ace and similar hands. As a rough guide the right bower in the next seat is roughly the same as having 3 cross trump excluding the right Bower, try it. Those two hands are roughly a 50/50 scenario. Ordering from the 3rd seat is not wise if you have Next and you know your P will call it. I know you can't go next all the time but you have to call to win and crossing weak is suicide, the opposition is waiting for it. If possible don't let the 2nd seat call unless you have them covered. It's a tossup whether you think you can get the dealer by ordering, or can't support your P in whatever they call other than what the dealer turned up. Put it this way, how many times have you sat in the 3rd seat and thought wow i have the dealer cold here but they don't pick it up and your P passes, boy couldn't you just throw up. This is just another point for thought. Remember that this call goes with a 3rd seat curse lmao, and i suck bigtime with cards at the moment so am trying different things, some work some don't. All difficult unorthadox scenarios with a 9s up Deck are tough. Good ordering. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Yeah, I find myself doing that too, because of how many times I have regretted not doing it! So, if I'm holding some decent trump of the upcard and especially if I have an Ace off, I am more likely to take the chance and order the dealer in 3rd seat. And I have to admit, a lot of this depends on if I can trust my partner to call or not.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:44 am

There was a noise coming from the Lounge area, something similar to a Deck of cards being shuffled. As i approached closer i found Jonas dressed as Santa Claus shuffling hell out of a deck of 7s up Euchre pack. Wow you made good Jonas i said, "I always make good G" he left 500 packs of them and said, that should do you for awhile. I immediately rushed into the HW Lobby and in my clumsyness and excitement tripped and fell, then i woke up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Eennie Meenie

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:22 am

Would just like to say thanks to everyone that posted on this thread. The reason it has gone on for so long in my opinion is that it's about the game of Euchre itself. Have plenty more to talk about but might hold off and see if the HW Gods introduce the 7s up game, then we could really go to town. If you have anything to add just go for it, someone will help you. In the meantime have a great 2008, good cards and happy euchreing. :) :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:42 am

I know I would like to see it, think it would be more competitive.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

callme7
Active Poster

Re: The G with some Basics.

Post by callme7 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:21 am

This is an email i received from a very unhappy Lady about leading Trump and not leading trump.
Hi G, I am really fedup with Ps telling me how to play, some say lead me trump and others go crazy when i lead, what the hell am i suppose to do? For Gods sake help me out here, have really got to love this game.
I replied to it this way, she has been playing for six months.
Hi ------, When players say in their profiles, lead trump P, don't lead trump P, i am sorry to say in my opinion they have very limited knowledge of the game. There are so many different scenario's that take place within a game and need to be acted on accordingly.
Players that want trump led to them all the time will never be able to play thin or execute a thin hand. To be successful with a thin hand you have to be able to get tricks with your offsuit or take the opponents trump with your offsuit. Players that don't want trump led to them will come into huge trouble when a hand is begging for trump to be led to them, in time you will learn to gauge this. Don't let Ps bully you into their way of playing, the great players have their own Euchre print.
Even though i mentioned it earlier in the Forum i will say it again, in General if you have a Bower lead it, don't worry about your P screaming at you. If you or your P orders up the opposition and it's not a block i believe it is imperitive that trump is led here if you have one.
In time you it will get easier. Form your own format on how you play the hand out, experiment that's the only way. All i will say is be flexible and get to know if trump needs to be led or not, don't be a lead trump, don't lead trump player, because you will never improve your game, that's a promise. Gl. :) :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:24 pm

After watching dozens and dozens of the better players being accused of cheating in the last couple of weeks i feel some part of the "Next" and "Cross" calls wouldn't go astray being repeated for the learners.
Beginners if you haven't read the earlier parts on the "Next"call in this forum it may well pay to do so before reading this.
I will make it short and sweet. The cards have been dealt and the deal is turned down, a Spade. You are in the 1st seat, this is the seat immediately to the dealers left. It's your call but it's NOT really. You are making this call on behalf of your Partner UNLESS you have a fantastic hand that can make it on it's own. If you call any Red suit here you better have a hot hand because your opponents probably have them. Call Clubs and see how you go, that is "Next" it's not cheating. Good players will call next with no trump in their hand although it's nice to have one. If you "cross" in the 1st seat (opposite colour that is turned down) you will be euchred most of the time, try it. It's the 2nd seats job to cross for their P, (The Dealer)Black turned down call Red. Gl and good calling. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Harden1313
Active Poster

Post by Harden1313 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi everyone, have a quick question that's been gettin' me. (I probably missed it somewhere in this post though) :wink:

Since reading this post and talking to a few people I've focused on being more bold in calling next and crossing the creek and after stumbling a bit it's become A LOT easier to do so. The biggest downfall I have is not calling (which I guess is the most common mistake). My question is this:

Ok, clubs have been turned down...say the Queen and I call next on Ace, 10, 9 spades and 10 club, 9 hearts. First, is this enough for a newer player to call with and if so, what's the best lead? Low trump? Low red? Low club? What if they're both red or clubs? All these similar situations have come up but each has the potential for being a disaster. Any ideas?

Is there a general rule of thumb for leads based on percentages that you would recommend for all next calls that aren't super strong? Now that I'm calling I have to figure out how to get those tricks with what I have and still give my partner his chance to take his share to get the point. Thanks everyone, this thread has been a great help to me!!! G you have put a lot of the things people had tried to explain in the past down here so I can understand, and truly having it click in the old noodle is literally like turning on a light. Way easier to see my cards now!!! :lol:

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 am

Hi Pat,
A next hand with three next cards is Royalty to me, rare to be euchred with them unless the dealer has bagged you.
The scenario you gave i would lead the 9 of Spades, remember there are only potentially seven trump cards out. I wouldn't lead a small Red card or the Suit they turned down, in this situation if i had a red Ace and only two small trump more than likely i'd lead the ace.(i know lead trump before aces Bla Bla) About 80% of the time the red Ace will take the 1st trick if black was turned down and vice versa) All things being equal and a bagging hasn't taken place your P more than likely has a Bower. The reason i would lead trump here is that the % is with you and your P, as the dealer turned down black. I know some good players with three next trump lead their smallest offsuit, i personally think this is wrong as there are only four potentially against you, leading the nine could wipe them all out. Remember %s are worked out over many hands, so if it doesn't work out this time it will work the next. Experiment as much as you can and CALL as often as you can. Remember the "next" call most of the time is a partnership call. You will find in time calling next with no trump at all and easily getting them. GL :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Ratwhowillbeking
Noob

Post by Ratwhowillbeking » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:03 pm

Clubs turned down and you have: A109 spades and 10 club, 9 hearts… definitely call it. I’m going to attempt a fairly detailed example of a rather bad scenario, but one which you can still make if you play correctly. I hope its understandable…

Start by leading a one of the low trump (of course this COULD be the wrong play, but it is the % play.) There are a few reasons it is the best move, but a big one is it collects a lot information that will help you the hand could go either way.

For instance, imagine a pretty bad result for this hand: opponent to the left plays QS, your partner has no trump, the dealer plays the left bower. At this point, your only hope to still make this hand is that your partner has at least one ace—if he doesn’t, you are euchred. The only way to make it is to assume he does so you might as well play on that assumption. You can also assume that the dealer does not have the other jack (if he did he would have picked it up—unless you got bagged hard, a possibility you shouldn’t worry about at this point)

So suppose the dealer comes back with the QD… most people would go ahead and trump it—which is the wrong move. You are working on the knowledge that the only way you can make this hand is if your partner has an Ace—the last thing you want to do is trump his only ace and lose your chance of making this hand. Instead, toss a low card and see what happens (that 9 hearts isn’t going to do anything to help anyways.) Let’s imagine this doesn't pay off and you get another bad result… the player to your left has the AD and takes the 2nd trick. He then leads the ace of hearts…both players follow suit and obviously you are forced to throw your remaining low trump on it…

Leaving you with AS and 10C. If you paid attention (and you should be), the remaining trump are the Right bower and the KS. You should be confident that the right bower is buried at this point – the dealer wouldn’t have passed the original club, and the opponent to your left would have played on the third trick to end the hand. However either opponent could still have the KS… so play the ace and take the 4th trick. Then cross your fingers and hope your partner has the ace. If he doesn’t then you are euchred (who cares! Both you and your partner had crap!) If he does then you just made a hand with weaker trump and less aces than the other team.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:39 pm

It can be very difficult to give good examples of the way a hand should or could be played out, as you don't know what cards are alive and what a player might lead. Excellant scenario Josh, i was going to give another indepth one but yours is better than the one i was thinking of doing. Nice Job. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G