Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:36 pm

lMAO love ya sense of humour.

Eennie meenie,

The G

maggs_01
Active Poster

Post by maggs_01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:33 pm

CouLd I have coffee 'n doughnuts with the next game? Or possibly a loner or 2? :mrgreen:

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:51 pm

I started playing euchre 18 months ago - learning from patient p's, reading what i could, and slowly from my many many mistakes. - if this outlining of "the basics" was around then - it would have saved my p's from baldness from relentless hair pulling !! Still learning euchre - and addicted - now tell us about playing with bad cards !!

ALSO A REQUEST

Now that evening euchre has become an unpleasant venue, i may move to hearts or spades - please oh please write a "basics" for those games Mr G !!!

Cheers
(nearly)Sweetness n Light

[/b]

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:28 pm

On any given day i can be so bad at this game, i don't even need bad cards. I think what the hell is going wrong here and then realize i drift away from what i know i should be doing. Sweetness there is no recipe for bad cards but a point to remember is THERE IS A CALL TO BE MADE ON EVERY DEAL, just find it. Different players have different ideas of what bad cards are, to me a bad hand is four 9s and a 10, i get excited over picture cards and Bowers. A quick reference, if the opposition turns down Black you gotta be very strong to go Red. ( they are wanting Red or have nothing) If your P turns down Red, you gotta be very strong to go Red. (P is wanting Black or has nothing) GL. :)

PS. It sounds as though you really enjoy the game. I believe there are about 30 outstanding players on HW, don't be afraid to ask them for help, different players input is very important because no one knows it all and never will. I will name some for you. DeWayne, Amal, Tamara, Bre, Clint, Andy, Vonnie, Steve, Brent, Justin, Josh, Lucky, Todd, Chris, Zed, Stacey, Russ. There are more but these spring to mind. Not one of these players would say no to helping you or anyone else. There is always one or two of these players on at any one time.

Oh as for Hearts and Spades Basics, i am still laughing. sorry can't help you there. :(

Eennie Meenie,

The G
Last edited by callme7 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 pm

Well i shoulda known better to put players names on the block, but i really feel these players are damn good, but have had peeps saying why isnt He or She there. I made the list for players that wanted help and i feel these are the Boys and Girls to do it. This is not a rating List.
There is a special call in Euchre called "The Andy Loner" this is a must for all players, all you have to do is P with Andy and go for a ride. (thin as) I remember a few months ago partnering with Andy and he went alone in Hearts and i was thinking Holy hell i have got the Hearts loner not Andy. My hand was, Left and Right Bower of hearts, queen of hearts, Ace and King of spades. Andy had Ace & King of clubs, King, 10 & 9 of trump, needless to say he got the damn thing. The up card was a club which i turned down and the 1st seat passed. I wondered why the 1st seat passed, there were four spades in the kitty, the 3rd seat had the rest. Andy has the knack of doing this on a regular basis. He figured with me turning it down (which is rare) i gotta have some red stuff around, and he was right again. Please guys don't use these names as a rating list, all i am trying to do is put names forward that i know are good at the game and will help players if they want it.

Eennie Meenie,

The G
Last edited by callme7 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:35 am

I am sure there are many many fine players - and many who would help newbies and wannabebetters - ie those of us who get stuck on 1650/1700 nics !! But, you know what, egos and other things get in the way of asking (well for me anyway!!)

Of course recognising, getting a game with them and watching their play - and then replaying games to watch it again is good BUT maybe they could wear big flashing signs... or tattoos on foreheads (or maybe i SHOULD read profiles )so i would be sure to pay attention !! Kidding !! Or maybe, (lordy am i really suggesting this??) they could play "just for fun" with people who enjoy the game and who wanna improve, but who are not fussed about losing/gaining ratings in the process..

I am not sure what i am saying here( lol) other than it feels like there is a "clique" of good players, and as a private person, i dont "do" cliques.. but i enjoy good fair games, with good players in a congenial environment !!

So keep posting Mr G !!

and dammit, your mission for 2007 (?) learn spades and hearts too !!

Smiling
Sweetness n Light

maggs_01
Active Poster

Post by maggs_01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:07 am

Oooooooooh! I like that Andy loner! I woulda tried it tonight if I ever had at least 3 of anything. LOL

maggs_01
Active Poster

Post by maggs_01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi sweetness. There is no clique. Hardwood has a small membership so it looks like we all play mostly the same people. Some we make friends with and some we don't. We all try to play within our ratings so as to improve and learn off each other. As long as everyone in the game is nice, funny, quiet or whatever, just not abusive, anyone is welcome that works their way up. We all start in the same spot...having to get established. Some never make it above 1500 and that's cool too. And every one of us is subject to hardwood deals and big crashes. Then we start again at the bottom. And then there's some like me that just make stupid mistakes and blow everything! :oops: Either way, we're here to relax, have fun and hopefully have a great day in euchre! I play lots of times *just for fun* but with lower nics. I see no sense in risking what I worked hard for. There is nothing worse than playing against someone with a 1300 rating only to find he wins by a combination of luck and all the top cards. If I'm playing a 1500 nic or lower, I don't care, but no way will I risk a 1700 or 1800 nic against anyone under that rating. That's about where I stop. I have to get a lot better before I'll get any higher than the 1800's. And with people like DeWayne and Gary around, I may never get there unless one of them is my partner!

kid04

just a ?

Post by kid04 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:00 pm

i hav a queestion about a term. What is it called when lets say, your pard turns down red. What is it called if you then call black? Just curious
Thank You :D
Robby

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi Robby, Excellent Question. In general terms most players would tell you, "It's Crossing The Creek" (which it is) but i have always termed that as a Ps "Next" call, the reason being is that you have more than likely called your Ps hand. This is the same as the 1st seat calling the other Red, more than likely it's a call for their P. A thing to remember here Robbie is that in the 2nd seat you should "Cross the Creek" unless you are really strong in "Next" You are a good player so you will know what i mean, just see how many times your P will kill you if you call the same colour they have turned down, unless of course you have a hand that can make it on it's own merit.
Where most pairs fail in this game is they don't call their Ps hand enough (we all do it) As i wrote earlier once the deal has been turned down the calling then has to involve your Ps hand unless you are extremely strong or have a loner. Ok % wise once the deal has been turned down. 1st seat, Next. 2nd seat, Cross the Creek, 3rd seat, you have to be very strong to call from here. Dealers or 4th seat, you prolly in the crap.
Hope this helps ya. :)

Eennie Meenie,

The G

kid04

Post by kid04 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:59 pm

hey thanks i dont know all the terms and it helped a lot :D
Robby

Lucky
Active Poster

Post by Lucky » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:52 pm

:oops: Thanks G for your mention /me blushes

Sweetness I am around prolly 75 per cent of the time and am always glad to play with anyone thats kind enuff 8) to ask me jes try me hun
I most certainly dont have an ego or anything of the sort LOLOLOLOLOL
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Halloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:56 am

You are very welcome Les. Most of you Guys have amazing individual play prints. To me that is a sign of great Intuition, as we all know this game aint all luck. Excuse the pun, haha. :) :)

Eennie Meenie,

The G.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:30 am

Would just like to say that the players who IMd me with questions please put them in the forum for other players to view, sorry but i don't have the time to individually answer them. Have answered this time to the best of my ability. This way everyone can feed off them. I will not try and teach strategy to you as i believe this comes from learning the basics in anything, then you have to work from that, i think it's called trial and era, haha.

Eennie Meenie

The G

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:00 am

Well all i can say is that i'm suitably impressed!!! The time and effort you've put into helping us "low-raters" lol is commendable. I come across newbies in HW all the time and i try to do my best as far as teaching the basics, but you've covered the basics, and advanced technique in a very clear concise and easy to read way! i'll be using this link to pass on to others in the future. And if any of the "unranked yet high class players" ;) see me hangin round in the lobby, plz don't hesitate to offer me a lesson!!! i'd step up to the table with any of em if i get to learn something and enjoy a few games!

Wtg Callme7, Awesome effort (even for a kiwi ROFLMAO j/k mate)
War not determine who is right... War determine who is left!