The G with some Basics.

callme7
Active Poster

Re: The G with some Basics.

Post by callme7 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 pm

I said i wouldn't say anymore on the 7s up option of the game, but a lot of my friends and many other players still won't play here, the best Euchre site on the planet because they don't have this OPTION, umm Jonas, OPTION. I believe that any kind of card game played, the most popular option of that game should be available to be played. I do realize that the USA. plays the short version and i am not knocking them for that, but the short version of this wonderful intriguing game is like riding around on a Motor Scooter, Jonas i want my Rolls Royce back please. I see the last reply in the 7s up thread is from EUCHREtimesTWO, an extremely talented player and friend. I don't want to see this guy leave the site AGAIN like YOUNG HERO did. All my life i have played the 7s up game, which i believe is the real Mckoy. The wonderful thing about 7s up is that you have a potential of 9 trump, 8 long suit and 7 next cards, the kitty has 12 dead cards, a whole suit can be dead. Brentie can even go alone with no trump and actually get them, hehehe. Yes, you will still get bad runs, you will still have bad days, the one thing i can promise you with this game, you will not be Lonered off the ball park, that's the beauty of this game. I have put this posting in this thread as i believe it will be accessed more. :) :)

P.S. Jonas i wish you and your family a great Christmas and New Year, now get back to work on our 7s game. :mrgreen:

Eennie Meenie

The G

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:23 pm

I agree.

Spades and Hearts have so many more options than we do.

Spades
Partners
Partners-mirror
Partners-suicide
Individual
Individual-mirror
Cut
Disallow Blind Nil
End game 200/350/500/650/800/950/1100/1250/1400/1550/
No Nil
Nil 50 points, No passing
Nil 100 points, No passing
Nil 50 points, Pass 1
Nil 50 points, Pass 2

Hearts
JOD
Disallow sun/moon
Spot Hearts
Always Pass
Timed Game
Partnership
End 100/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/1000 points

Euchre
British Rules
Cut
STD
Play to 15

Ok that means the score is Spades 13 Hearts 7 (if you don't include the insane game end options as 1 for each) Euchre 5

Yet we paid the same as the other games but have the least amount of options.

Go figure. Thanks for the Dark Horse but I'd prefer new Euchre options.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Knock Knock, who's there? It's Jonas G, iv'e got 700 decks of 7s up for you, they tell me you have been doing a lot of bleating for them. Thanks mate, about time you came to the party. Yeah well I have been doing a lot of work in Spades and Hearts, but was told you guys needed a 7s up fix, so here i am. Any other requests? Yes please, don't wake me up. :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

Crocker

Post by Crocker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:52 am

I just don't believe this amazing thread. Congrats to all of the players who have contributed. where is this G guy, can we play with him? I have been on the site for about three months and consider myself mediocre at the game, but love it. i was told by others to check the forum out, so glad i did. Euchre and 500 are our national games in Australia and are played very extensively throughout the country. I have read the other threads on the 7s up drive, now that would be an amazing change, as i and most Aussies would take to it, like a duck to water. There are many things i will change in my game after reading this, thks G and all contributors. Crocker. :wink:

GTO RACER
Active Poster

Post by GTO RACER » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:09 am

That's the prob... you never know where G is..... ;) watching playing...... hint hint....

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I was going to put this LEAD scenario in the Forum a few months ago, but held back to obtain some more statistics from you guys by watching, and how you handle it. It's a favourite NO NO lead for me, and works 90% of the time. When my Father tried to teach me this game, i think most of his instructions fell on deaf ears, but this one was basics to me, see what you think. This particular lead happens more often in the early stages of the hand ie. 2nd or 3rd lead, i consider this just as bad if not worse than a double lead at the wrong time. Ok, I pick up my deal, spades are trump, i'm two suited. The 1st seat leads the king of diamonds, my P plays the Ace and takes the trick, 3rd seat throws off 10 of hearts, i throw the 9 of hearts off. My P leads back the Ace of hearts, in my opinion and what the stats say, THIS IS THE WORST LEAD POSSIBLE, it won't survive the round 90% of the time, don't take my word for it, try it. If i were my P, i would lead back either trump, or the next suit, in this case would be clubs. The main reason for not leading the ace of hearts back is because if i am two suited, and by throwing the 9 off, it's a damn good bet i will have another heart, also the 3rd seat threw a heart off which makes it even tougher for the Ace of hearts to survive. Of the games i watched to gather stats for this scenario, i included 1500 to 2050 games, i found that in many many cases players were set because of this lead, by this lead i mean, when i or my partner makes trump, if you have the lead early in the hand, DON'T lead the suit of which your partner is throwing small cards off, not always possible but it will be your downfall in most euchres. I found most of the Top players never led this scenario if they could avoid it, it was 2nd nature and basic to them, but dozens and dozens did. The ace can be a hindrence if not played at the right time. In most cases i found that the partner could have led trump, then a small heart could have been led by the other P to take the trick with the ace of hearts later in the hand. I know it's not always straight forward as we like it to be, but if you avoid this lead like the plague it will certainly help your game. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Ahhh

The Seduction of the Ace!

From my experience, I have found that Aces are MOST vulnerable in the 2nd hand lead, especially if you have 2 of them. (However I am an old Hearts player and I tend to hoard my aces till the end, where, after trump is spent, they just might have a chance.)

And I agree, if I have an Ace in something and my partner tosses off a 9 of that same suit, instinct has taught me not to lead back that suit wherever possible. Especially if I took the lead with an Ace, urgency insists on a trump lead next.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:27 pm

I agree here also for 2 reasons

1) leading trump makes since in this case, however your pard is not thinking you may be 2 suited (valid excuse) BUT...

2) Opt. also threw off a heart that's 2 hearts out of a possible 6 hearts PLUS the one they lead back to you... 50% chances are that someone is out of hearts and good odds you lose on the heart lead since opt. follows you.

JUST DUST

PS - Just my thinking here from your description of the play.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:48 pm

it's funny how analytical people can be of cards, but not of their own nature.

Anyway, I am finding that I will lead out an ace in 2nd lead if trump has been flushed.

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 am

Hey there's an A&B in your name isn't that like -10,000 style points LOL

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:30 pm

The discussion on Loppy Tables, runaway loners, players calling for 7s up, all of these things can be curbed a little, but once again HW has to do it. On the 1st page of this thread, which is two years ago now, i called for all games to be played to 11, which is fairly common in other parts of the world. I have never believed the loner is worth 4 points with a 9s up deck, it should be 3. At least with this scenario, one team could get 3 loners and still not win the game. Just remember though, the top players will still be the top players. Keep asking guys. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Wharfie

Post by Wharfie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:24 am

With all the moaning and discussion, on loppy tables, crazy loners, 9s up deck, you would think Jonas would introduce the 7 up option, surely this would stop a lot of complaining all in the one go, just a thought, i'm no expert, but the long deck stops most of this, most of the time. :idea: :idea: The Wharf Man.

Hoax
Noob

Post by Hoax » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am

I am not convinced that event he 7's up deck would take care of the issue. Last time I played my P and I were down 8 - 0. I said "Don't worry P - Hardwood will deal us a couple of loners to catch us up." Guess what - the next two hands were exactly that - back to back loners. My P and I then proceeded to win the game. I could understand that happening on an occaisional basis. Three games in a row is pretty far fetched. I felt I needed to head to the nearest lottery agent and buy myself a ticket. The RDG is :lol: . It just doesn't appear to exist. Until the cards are dealt in a random fashion it doesn't matter if you have 24 cards in a deck or 50.

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm not a euchre player, but here's my thoughts based on the discussions....

- a 7s up deck will help reduce the liklihood of a loppy table and will improve customer satisfaction

- loppy tables happen with random deals - players will have to understand this

- perception becomes reality

- I have no idea why SCE hasn't implemented the 7s up format as an option for you all, and to me its a no brainer next enhancement for this game. You've been asking for it for about 3 years now. I own licenses for spades, hearts and backgammon. I will not buy euchre based on the discussions on this topic.

Does that ring home to the SCE powers that be?
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:34 am

Have been watching some great 1900 & 2000 games in the last couple of weeks, but have picked out three very bad plays which cost the game many times (In my opinion). (1) I just don't understand why such good players, when they make trump, their P leads the left, you take it with the right, and lead the Ace of trump back with very little left in hand to carry it further, or finish the hand off. Leave the lead with your P, so that they can lead their aces if they have any, and you throw off. I just don't see the point in taking the lead off your P when you don't have any aces. (2) Players that make trump, they take the 1st three tricks and lead trump with the 4th card, this lead is 100% wrong if you have no show of taking the last two tricks. You are ignoring your Ps hand here, they might have the ace to your very insipid, eg. 10 of clubs. especially if a club hasn't been led. The opposition may have the ace, but give your P the chance, take the last with your trump. Different if all trump aren't out. (3) Leading a Singleton ace into a loner on the 1st lead, is the wrong way to play it. That Ace can take a trick at any stage of the hand, DON'T lead it. Different if you have 2 aces. :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G