The G with some Basics.

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm

I would like to say thanx to the players who have IMd me for the help they say i have given them, also Kamikaze17 for your comment (wow an Aussie giving a Kiwi the thumbs up) some of the great Euchre players are Aussie's mate, Thankyou. I am going to reiterate a very important point i made at the start of this thread, (# 9, Players ask about this all the time) If you or your P makes trump alot of the time you have the benefit of a cleansed hand, i mean by that, discarding. I would like to deal with the double lead and what your P is ditching. If your P makes trump and the opposition say leads the offsuit heart and you take the trick, DON'T lead it again even if your P threw off on it, because if you do your P will probably have to play high for no reason, as the player that follows you will more than likely trump it. Any double lead is dangerous when trump hasn't been led whether it comes from you or the opposition. Another scenario. My P makes trump i have the lead and lead the Ace of spades offsuit, my P ditches the 10 of Hearts, i take the trick, DONT lead a heart back, i bet you your P has another Heart, the reason being is they had the benefit of cleaning their hand. If my P threw the King or Ace off thats a different story. Approx. 80% of the time when the person that had the chance to cleanse their hand and is ditching small cards of a certain suit, THEY will have another one, in other words they are TWO suited most of the time. There are other scenario's but i will leave it there for now. Hope this clears it up people. Hey if ya ever in doubt lead trump, OMG did i say that. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

LadyBusDriver

Post by LadyBusDriver » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:57 am

Not to confuse the Next issue, but just to say, I thought Next was only truly appropriate if the Bower was turned down. Just a thought in passing :D

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:25 am

Hi Lady,

If any Club is turned down and the 1st seat calls Spades, that is a next call regardless of the rank of card. The same is for the other colour, Diamonds turned down and Hearts called by the 1st seat. I don't want to complicate things but if the 2nd seat calls next it has a whole different effect, thats what you call "Crossing the Creek" although in strict Euchre terms it is still a next call. The reason it is called crossing the Creek or "Ditch" is you have probably called what your P doesn't want as they turned that colour down. Hope this helps a little. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

The Hobbit
Noob

Post by The Hobbit » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:06 am

just want to say ty for your help by what has been written in here. although i have basically understood next calls and the other i didn't realize the true value of them until this. Ty again. :D

The Hobbit

SaxyLilDevil

Excellent Forum The G Posted.

Post by SaxyLilDevil » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:16 pm

Garrry this forum you put together for people who have questions in the game of euchre is wonderful hon. And I in no way see it as you telling people how to play, just there for advice is all, so dont let the ones who say different get to ya hon. I am glad to have this here to look back on if I need it, And am sure there are many others who feel the same. Keep em coming G. :wink:

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 pm

I am deeply sorry if i have offended anyone with putting these basic tactics on Euchre in this forum. But by the ruckus in the lobby by a certain couple of players saying they are tired of me setting myself up as the euchre God, has seriously made me think what i am doing here. When i was approached a couple of months ago to do this i had reservations because when you Teach, Coach or try and help in different things it is very difficult sometimes not to push your personal view about something. I have gone to great lengths to keep my opinions on strategy out of it as i feel this comes from players learning the basics 1st and you go on and build from there. I also firmly believe that if you don't get the basics right you have no show at all in progressing in this great game or any other game, so i make no apology for that. Maybe the players that think this is as they said "rubbish" can enlighted us with some Basics of their own and by all means some strategy as a Bonus. But i am sad to say that will never happen because these players are still at the pre basic stage of this great game. :)

P.S. I have received many IMs and a few emails in support in the last couple of hours, ty people it is very much appreciated as i felt i had done you guys an injustice.

Eennie Meenie

The G

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:52 pm

Garry,

fact is this topic is 3 pages long and it aint stopping. Good work.

Amal
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

NanaGram
Big Poster

Post by NanaGram » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm

yes garry, very helpful. thanks a lot!

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Hey .... its ONLY 3 pages ... more please !!

Euchre Science forum presents euchre hands and takes polls on and discusses the optimal way to play (via statistical analysis of probabilities - interesting, very theoretical but bit dry)

- what about Euchre ART - a regular presentation of hands for discussion and poll how they could be/were played?? eg the aforementioned Andy Loner !!

Oh and remember ..Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means you are two steps ahead !!

cheers
SweetnessnLight

:D

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:17 am

Ok Boys and Girls up until now i have kept my personal opinions out of this, all the stuff i have talked about stands on it's own merit of %. But i am going to go a little into players bagging from the (1st seat) as this is the prime calling seat. I always watch games as much as i can as quite frankly i get more enjoyment out of watching than playing. In the last couple of weeks i have concentrated on some of the 1700 & 1800 games and some of the bagging that goes on there is amazing. I am not saying they shouldn't have bagged, but so many fantastic next calls were missed that the games would have gone the other way. What players have to remember is if you bag you are relying on the 2nd seat calling what you are bagging them with. Bagging V Calling is a no contest, calling wins by a mile. Plus you have probably made it impossible for your P to call from the 3rd seat if it gets there (which is a bad idea anyway unless ya gotem) but when they see a Bower come outa your hand and they have the other, OUCH. I truly don't understand if a Spade deal is turned down why the 1st seat wouldn't call next with the Right bower of clubs and one, even if you are 4 suited, it's a breeze. This happened dozens of times (other combinations as well) and their P was left high and dry with a hand full of next, in the mean time the 2nd seat has called not what the 1st seat thought they would and romped home for 2 points. I am mentioning this because i believe that alot of players are very wary of going too thin but their next call is mainly for their P anyway. Maybe you will get Euchred but over a good period of time this will work in your favour, i guarentee it. Bag for sure but not at the expense of a good next call. Remember you can be very thin with a next call, go for it. The worst that can happen is your P will say, I DON'T WANT YOU AS P ANYMORE. Go thin and win, just learn to execute the hand. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:26 pm

I whole-heartedly concur. Keep it coming. :)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

maggs_01
Active Poster

Post by maggs_01 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:10 pm

I seldom bag because I usually get caught in my own trap!

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 am

Do they cheat? Have been asked this question many many times. Cheats are increditably easy to catch. (a) Don't judge a pair of players because they make a few good leads and their calling is spot on for a couple of games. (b) If you really think they are cheating watch every game you can, if they continue to make perfect leads and calls, replay the games and see if you can pick up any abnomallies. No one can perfectly lead and call for dozens of games in a row, if they do and are not cheating they will come to a halt the next few times they play. Other things to look for, Avatars logging on and off at the same time, and i mean the same time within 10secs or so of each other, ( you can check this) could be on two computers. Loners that are stopped with the 1st lead on a ridiculous scale, Stalling, can't talk at the same time. Of all the Top players on here, and the others i know, there aint one of them that do this kind of thing. Don't be paranoid about cheats because i have found they are very few and far between. It's no good just going into the lobby and shouting such and such cheat. I have put this in here because i get asked on a regular basis. One request , please ask your questions through this post so we can all benefit from it. GL. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:04 am

um... er... buttttttttt

Some do !!

I will admit on replaying a few sus games - my suspicions have not been proved .. without a doubt lol - so i give benefit of that doubt .. buttttttttttttt...

Also I think if a partnership does not actively block or play defense (whatever you want to call it ) .. and yet manage to stop our loners .. consistently ... um er .. well i think a lot of things !! I imagine a conversation .". you got this covered ?? .. yes !!"

Hey its easy to out play me - and i give credit when its due and i dont mind losing in that way at all .. but sometimes .. its just not fair play .. it may be something else entirely - and, and, and

its just not fair ... wahh!!

but the world does not stop turning and life goes on !!

:D Sweetness n Light :D

Ps What about people going alone on 8 or 9 ??
Huh ???
Huh ???
I tell you the earth almost moves then for me - lol :(

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:35 am

Regular partners are the hardest to go up against and not think that something fishy is going on, and tourneys are the best place to witness this. People who play the 2v2 D.E.'s with the same pard every day are going to form a bond of sorts, an understanding between each other. I have done this myself. I know, with my regular pard in tourney's, from the first card she plays whether we're going to make it or not. I know whether we have the cards to euchre the opp. We've played countless T's together, and we know each other well. The amount of times we have been called for cheating, in our own league at that, is astounding. It's gotten to the point that i have this particular posting bookmarked, and the link in my HW profile on most of my nics! Whenever i get called for cheating i direct them straight to this page.

There's no greater feeling than making a NEXT call when you have absolutely no trump in your hand! I have to be honest here, i can just imagine the look on the opp's faces when i do it too! You know that they're fuming..... but as G has pointed out on numerous occasions, the percentages are with you. Sure it doesn't work all the time, and if you have none at all, well you can always call it a block, ;);) but over the course of time, you will end up ahead.

Most people call for cheating when HW is giving them "the hard cards". This site is famous for it. You get on a roll, and the program seems to take a vendetta against you. CHIT HAPPENS PEOPLE. We all go through it. Grab a provi nic and save your high ones if need be. Have a laugh at it.

I truly believe there are very very few cheats on this site. But there are people that play together all the time, and there are extraordinary runs of luck.

For all those that have called me a cheat in the last few weeks..... first of all, Welcome to HardWood, and secondly find your way to this posting, and read it! It really is not a difficult game once you accept there are ways to play it that will give you an advantage!

One last thing before i bail out of this,

G.... Sorry if i've drawn unwanted critisism to you by the comment in my profiles. You have bad runs of cards just like the rest of us. I promoted you to LEGEND status for the time and effort you have put into this posting, and the amazing follow up both here and in HW. Many a time i see you sitting in the peanut gallery observing. When you see a mistake i make consistently, i know my IM is going to buzz. I greatly appreciate it. Not only has my game improved immensley, but i've met a whole new circle of friends that are just as helpful. So while the profile comment has been removed, your LEGEND status remains as far as i'm concerned.

Keep it up mate.

War not determine who is right... War determine who is left!