The G with some Basics.

Wharfie

Re: The G with some Basics.

Post by Wharfie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:10 am

Oh wow, i have just read this thread again from start to finish, it's amazing, 300 replies and getting up to 40,000 hits, hell that is forty thousand. It's got to be HWs biggest thread ever. Great stuff. The lonely Wharfman. 8) 8)

Dluke

Post by Dluke » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Question.

I bought this game for my PC, but now I have a Mac, yay. So I am using the trail version right now, only have two days left. But I noticed while in a game the last mini window most of the time the cards don't show up. They will have a green or red card shape or no card at all where the card is meant to be. This is one of my favorite feature on this game. I am just wondering if the real mac version has this bug fixed? The mini window is the score/last/ranks is the default order. Also when ever I create a game the preset is always set a certain way and resets every time to this setting.

Thanks, Luke.
Hey, Hi, Hello, Shlome !

The Hobbit
Noob

Post by The Hobbit » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Would like to know if G is still on the site? He started this amazing thread off. There is so much i would like to ask him, or some of the better players. Have read through it again, it's very informative, better than a book. :club: :spade: :mrgreen:

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:41 pm

It is so many months since i have written in here. Many months ago i started to watch a few players that take on a Loner, very very thinly. Iv'e compiled some statistics for you to have a look at, to see what you think and to see if it is really worth while to go so thin. Should they have taken their P with them? This has been compiled for information, not to name players or rubbish the act. In 8 months i watched each player in 265 Loner attempts, here are the results. Each player had amazingly similar attempts percentage wise, so i am assuming they thought their chances were good. Here are the results across the board. Each player was within 3% in all statistics. They were successful 22% of the time, or in 58.3 loners which = 233 points. They achieved 1 point on 52% of attempts = 138 points, and got euchred 26% of the time which represents 69 games, or 138 points to the negative. So, we have 233 points from the successful loners, plus 138 points from the 1 point hands, and a negative 138 points for the euchres. Total being minus -32 points. If they had taken their P, i know they would have gotten 1 point on 73% of the time, (194 points) 2 points 24%, (127 points) and been euchred 3% of the time. (-16 points) Points wise this equates to 305 points, with the differential equating to 72 points, with the attempted loner losing badly in the stats. All Players made an amazing loner about 1% of the time. All i say is, think very hard whether to take your P if the loner looks very thin, but don't be shy in having a go. Keep the wafer thin Loners coming guys.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eennie Meenie

The G

Bucky
Active Poster

Post by Bucky » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:21 am

I agree, keep the thin loners coming. Saves me having to think about the lead.
"Life is full of little surprises" ~ Pandora

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:19 am

I would like to comment on the two players who are rating nics in the early hours of the US. morning. You need to take a very close look at yourselves, because what you are doing is just not possible in real life in the game of euchre.
I have played Euchre for dozens of years all over the planet with the best and know what can be done in the game. The most disturbing aspect of this is, they all rate at over 75% and 90% win ratio after their provi 20 games, EG. 15-5 17-3 19-1 16-4 18-2, you get the picture, it's just not possible to rate every nic like this in a row. I would kill for 70 provi nics to be like this :D , but certainly would never think of doing what you two are doing. The ugly thing is, they keep adding new ones, about 90 now. They only play amongst themselves, and all the nics intertwine back to playing each other, so you can see what this will turn out to be. If this doesn't stop i am forwarding the list to Admin, i will bet a million dollars they are all from the same two accounts. I won't and can't mention names in here, but i know who it is for sure. Cut it out ladies and play fair like we do. In case there are players out there that think it is possible, it isn't. These two have lost a few games but have never lost a session in over a year on HW, now, someone tell me that is possible. :lol: :lol: :lol:. If you two need help there are plenty of good players on here that can do that for you. If you don't need help, stop what you are doing and just play better.

Eennie Meenie

The G

Euchre Buff
Noob

Post by Euchre Buff » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Wow, this is still going.

Buff :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:14 pm

It's been awhile since writing in here, but I would like to add a few more comments about blocking. A few players fairly well up the Euchre tree keep saying that if you don't block, your game will improve out of sight, sorry guys, that's plain wrong. I do agree however, that over blocking will kill your chances of winning, as about 70% of blocks are wrong anyway, but a very well placed block with the score in your favour can be a big winner. In my opinion the two or three top players on the site at this time are blockers. So, what do the non blockers say to that? If these players stopped blocking they would have a rating of about 2600? In that case, those non blocking players have a lot of ground to make up. or maybe if you guys threw the odd block in now and then, you would catch them up. If you are a total non blocker, you don't have all the Euchre tools available. That is a huge tool to throw out of the Defence kit in my opinion. I very much believe you must approach it with an open mind. I have seen Euchre championships won and lost from blocking & not blocking, but please don't tell me never to block. Bad choice. In all the years I have been on here, iv'e never yet seen a total non blocker dominate the top position. Make your own mind up about it, because if you love the game you need to experiment with both. :) :)

Eennie Meenie,

The G.

Bucky
Active Poster

Post by Bucky » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:30 am

The players (that have high ratings) that claim not to ever block, and encourage others not to, are often seen at scores of 9 - 6 blocking. Maybe not every time.. but it happens.

Every game has a defense.
Nuff said.
"Life is full of little surprises" ~ Pandora

The Hobbit
Noob

Post by The Hobbit » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 am

Boy, it's been awhile since players posted here. This is the most amazing thread in HW. Have watched and learned so much from here. I used to hate Blocking, still do, but without a doubt you have to block somtimes. The real top players world wide are blockers. :twisted: :twisted:

Euchre Buff
Noob

Post by Euchre Buff » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Can someone help me out with the odds of calling Next in the 1st seat, or calling the other colour. I realize Next is the percentage call, but what odds are in it's favour?

:D :D :D

The Buff

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm

I would like to give an opinion in a certain scenario concerning the "Left Bower" to lead or not to lead, or lead a smaller trump you hold. I have had so many Partners say to me, G, why didn't you lead the Left. ( you don't have too ) If my partner makes trump and i get the lead, i will lead the Left in two scenarios. (1) If i have it bare. (2) if i have it with an off ace, let's me play my ace after i lead the left. I won't lead it if i hold a smaller trump with it and have no off ace, i will lead the smaller trump. My reasons are this, 7 times out of 10 your P will hold the Right Bower. This will let your P come back with an offsuit ace, which you don't have. Even if your P doesn't have the right bower, they will more than likely have the ace of trump. I just don't see the sense in leading the left in this scenario, when you will be guessing what to lead next, not having an off ace. Give your P the lead, your left will take care of itself. So many players swear, "You must lead the left" it's a fallacy. I have copied this from an earlier page, as players have requested about the "Left Bower lead" This scenario is my opinion, but it makes sense. :) :) :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Baluka
Noob

Post by Baluka » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:37 am

I am just an ordinary player, but hate it when players go all out and cheat. At the moment we have a rather large group of nics that are playing late at night US time and cheating their asses off. The nics have been reported by two players and admin are looking at it. What really annoys me is that they haven't lost a session on HW, that is rediculous. We all know you can't play Euchre for weeks on end and never lose a session. The nics only play each other, ( I know of 35 )when they get a good win ratio the person doing this makes another one up and plays with that. I just can't believe this person thinks we are that stupid to think they are playing straight. There isn't a euchre player on the earth that has stats like these nics. I am sure admin will do something about it, if they don't I will name every nic in the Forum, all you have to do is click on to their profile, have a look at their Ps and keep looking at all the false nics they have made up by cross checking each P played with. You then can make your own minds up. If any player wants to know all the nics to date, message me privately and I will inform you. Come on Amin sort them out. :roll: :roll: Baluka Boy

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:55 am

Baluka, I don't really think this post should be part of this thread as it's about tips and techniques and Euchre strategy - not about cheating. You should have posted this under a new or more relevant thread.

That aside, I don't really think your post makes a good case that players are cheating. I am glad you don't actually call out the players by name here.

The fact that two partners play with each other all the time and have a fabulous winning streak going does not prove that they cheat. They may just be very experienced players. In general, partners who play together often develop advantages over randomly paired partners because they take cues from each other. They may even take cues from how you play and learn how you inadvertently communicate the strength of your own hand. In so doing, you are amazed how they seem to know everyone's cards and conclude they must be cheating somehow.

I will liken this to Texas Hold 'Em. If you play that game often enough against the same players, you learn how they play and can learn if a player's raise is likely to mean they have a good hand or if they are bluffing and trying to steal a pot. Poker pros may even be able to guess your hole cards based on your actions pre-flop, post-flop etc. You may not realize how you reveal what cards you have by how you play.

If these players do cheat (which I guess would mean talking over IM or the phone) and you feel very strongly about that, just put them on your dislike list so you don't have to play them, but I just wanted to provide another theory for what is going on.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

Baluka
Noob

Post by Baluka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 pm

I can't believe your reply Brian. You need to check with admin or Jonas to see what I mean. What they are doing is impossible in the game of Euchre. I'm sure admin will sort it out as I have forwarded the Nics to them. They will see once they backtrack the nics. It isn't possible to do what they have done to the 35 odd nics, even more now. ( THEY HAVE NEVER LOST A SESSION IN HW OVER MANY MONTHS) It doesn't take a genius to track their nics. Not ONE player on the PLANET let alone HW has stats anywhere near these. These aren't two partners, it's one person, fact. I reported the same thing to admin about 3 years ago and they found I was right and all the nics were taken away. This player has made players very angry. Sure it's possible to have an oustounding couple of nics with great stats, it isn't possible to have 35 ---40 nics with outstanding stats with NO session losses in months. This is easy to track. (Session = series of games in a day. You need to leave this to Admin Brian, they will sort it. Baluka Man World series Euchre winner Lansing. :roll: