The G with some Basics.

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:40 am

ooooh sorry to take up too much bandwidth here, but i do have a doozy for ya G

My deal, K hearts upcard. Every one passes and the only cards i have are 10 hearts, K Q spades, and K 10 clubs!

I can't hold off a next call. and even if the opp cross, i've got bugger all. Can the dealer block as such???? and is it a wise move?

Seems to have happened a few times lately and i'm never really sure what to do. i've asked a few other people too..... leaving it to you mate! lol

Cheers

War not determine who is right... War determine who is left!

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:03 am

Ok Kam, in my opinion there are two answers to this. If i am playing in a regular game with a P that i know will order me if they have a couple of Hearts, or if they pass they are telling me they are Black or have nothing. So with this scenario and if the game is in a delicate situation lets say we are 8 or 9 and the opposition is 5 or 6, it's a block, pick it up. I would turn it down if we had just started the game or we were say 4 and the opposition say 1 or 2 or something like that. I believe it is very dangerous not to block at the delicate situation of 9-5 or 9-6 with that hand, because if they are successful they are 9 and have the deal or its game set and match my friend. Other players may well see it differently and i respect that but you have nothing in your hand to defend against the loner. 7 or 8 points with their deal is far better than 9 points and their deal, or the game. I wouldn't block with this hand early in the game. Hope this helps a little. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:12 am

In the last week or so i have played a few Provincial games with players that asked me to help them out if i could with the "Next" call and "Crossing the Creek". The one thing i noticed very quickly was the players in the 1st seat were very quick to cross the creek when they thought they didn't have a next call. I will say one thing to you here, if you don't think you can call "Next" DON'T cross the creek with a weak hand, Pass. (I hate that) You will be Euchred most of the time. I would far rather call Next with no next cards in my hand than call a weak "Cross". Just remember beginners, that when the deal is turned down you have to include your P in the calling round that follows, unless of course you are very strong in something you know will succeed. Totally opposite for the 2nd seat, Don't call "Next" unless you are very strong. Same rule applies here, i would rather call a Cross here with no Cross cards at all than go next. In time this will engrain your brain and you will become very good at it. Intuition plays a part in this game and you will get to know what is weak and what has a chance of succeeding. GL. :)

Eennie Meenie,

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:47 pm

Whilst playing some provi games this week i had some players asking about how to defend a Loner and what to lead. It's common sense not to lead a singleton ace against a loner because it tells your P nothing about your hand. What i would suggest to players that want an excellant example of this and what to play, go to page 2 of the Forum index and about half way down the page under the heading "Leading a singleton ace into a Loner" by Joe Andrews and a very good reply by Ezz Rider (Russ)
Hope this helps. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

lapizule
Noob

The G

Post by lapizule » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:11 am

I always though patch work was hard, now I see how wrong I was :) I think I better stop playing euchre and go back to take more lesson on partch work, so hard this euchre I normally play for joy and recreation, don't folow rules and holy or next and all that, thank you anyhow interesting now I am confuse and scare to play even for joy lol wd the G, Love your style, good work and I wish you also play with low rating people so we can experience from the Masters. Love your work.
ok

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:45 pm

hey lapizule... this is what differentiates the G and some of the people he mentioned in this topic from others. These guys DO play provi games. They start new nics and build them up, and they help out players whenever they can. I can not count the amount of times G has watched me murder a game of euchre... then recieved an IM from him with some advice about what i may be doing wrong, and an invite to play a few games with him. There are truly wondeful people on this site that enjoy parting with their knowledge and helping out players. Don't be shy to ask them for a few games lapizule. You may be pleasantly surprised.

lapizule
Noob

Post by lapizule » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Ty but he is never around when I am, and I do have multiple nicks, maybe that's why I don't get to mix with all the good players, as they only play they own level, I play most time unrate and I do know most of the players they don't know me, however I had practice next and 1 out of 10 I had been succeful, never the less, I wish you all luck and enjoy euchre any wich way you feel, good luck and one day I may come out of my cocoon and play other then unrate.( I want to refran I won't erase play with "high rating players") Since most time I play to relax and there for unrate nick for me is relaxing don't have to think, win or lose give me satisfaction and kill me lonely time. Some players I know and love them and feel so happy to share time with then. Thank you Hardwood you got a very nice site full of great players and great people, and you always ban :wink: the bad apples away I love your style. Best site in the net.
ok

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:13 am

Hi Lapizule, I am around alot of the time, mostly just logged on and not playing. I will do my best to help you with any query you have, don't be shy. Most of my Nic's have my name in the profile and i play at all rates. Just remember though if i can't help you there are great players on here that can, you only have to ask either of us. :)

Eennie Meenie,

The G

lapizule
Noob

Post by lapizule » Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 am

Thank you the G, they are a lot of very competitive players in hardwood, and I think you given great tips to all of us, sharing your experience is great, need a lot of practice to chieve a nice rating, I haven't play many people with big rating most time I play unrate, gets boring and frastuate, sick of sand bagging lol and yeah they never get they rating up , one of thing I have learnt in this game don't wait for the opponent to call your hand, yet u may get 2 points but also you lose many good hands, and I found that by playing unrate games I wont mention names I get to reply the games and I see how this most low lever players give they game away for not calling they hand.Euchre is a nice game, and many different way to play, and I also think you need a good pard to chiceve a good game. Of course cards are unpreditable, you may get lots of hand bad cards and in no time you get this nice loners and whoohoo. Enuff of this and I go back again on my unrating games, I need some one to push me and make me take my nice rating nicks out and play, don't ask me how I have got them but I do have a little more then low, lol for you maybe still low.cheers G keep up telling us good tips we love them.
ok

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:22 pm

"Hey Colin what colours do we follow today" reply, i am told Red is hot on the odd Tables and Blue on the even Tables. This type of conversation is very common in the Lobby. Come on guys you are far better than that. I think about 7million games of Euchre have been played on HW, i don't know the statistics as such but i am willing to bet the Tables are pretty close to 50/50. Now to predict what is winning on a certain day and time is a very unreal prospect. If you could do this we would have players with nics of 10,000 or more. One reason is that you might get two very good players playing a game and two very ordinary players playing that SAME game with a different result. Its like a Roulette wheel you could have 25 Reds come up in a row and if ya on it you win, it's called being in the right place at the right time, now to predict when this is going to happen is impossible. Use your skill thats what it is all about. The good players on here stay at the top, what keeps them there? The approximate 20% skill thats required. I have yet to see just a Lucky player stay around the top. Good players still have that good W/L ratio they don't have to chase Rainbows, although some try. Sometimes you can think that you can predict these things , then all of a sudden "Whammo" the tables change on you. My tip for here is just sit whatever colour comes up or ask me for a Tin of Black paint to throw around. Believe me you can't predict this. It will even out in the end for you, trust me. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

Euchre Buff
Noob

Post by Euchre Buff » Fri May 18, 2007 12:38 am

i have played quite a few lately with mixed results. alot of the time i have my p screaming at me coz i call wrong and get set. I would like to ask, if the opposition turns down red and my P passes in the first seat, the dealers p passes in the second seat why is it so hard for me to call what i want in the third seat? my cards are good, well i think they are. can you throw a bit of light on this. i know you have said something about this but i dont see why third seat calls are so hard to get.

Euchre Buff

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:07 am

I'm going to try and beat G to this one....... You shouldn't have to call from 3rd seat!!! lol simple as that. Two very simple reasons for this. A : Your partner should have called next. B : If your partner did not call next, then the oppostion in 2nd seat should have crossed for his/her partner (the dealer). 3rd seat is the hardest seat to call from. So if you are going to call from there, pray you have 3 guaranteed else passing may indeed be the better option. (Please dont shoot me fot saying that G lol)

Hope that helps ya out a lil Euchre Buff.... It's as best as i can remember being taught :)

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:05 am

Thank the euchre God that someone else is having a crack at answering these questions, nj Kam but ya hourly rate stays the same, 39c per/hr US. You are right in what you say about the 1st and 2nd seat, they should have done their stuff if they could. The 3rd seat is a no no unless you are strong, don't take my word, try it. But there is always a but, like if you are way out in front and you have an even hand try Next from there, at least there will be no Loner from the Dealer, it works like an indirect block but don't overdo this because if you are playing in a top game your P would have done the block from the 1st if needed. If you cross in the 3rd seat ya might as well rip ya cards up unless you have them or you luck out and they are dead in the kitty. Summing up, pass in the 3rd unless ya got em kids. Kill ya P later if they produce all the Next cards. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

callme7
Active Poster

Post by callme7 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:16 am

A tip for the beginners when going alone and have say, three trump and two offsuit. Ok hand consists of Left and Right Bower & Queen of trump, Ace Offsuit and lets say Queen of another Offsuit. Lead the Bowers and if after the second lead the opposition have shown they have no trump remaining don't lead the King of Trump, lead the Ace offsuit then the King of trump hoping you can fool the opposition into thinking you were two suited, they may well ditch your stopper after you lead the King of trump in the 4th lead. Good Luck. :)

Eennie Meenie

The G

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 am

Yup, I do this successfully all the time. And once even got a loner with 2 10 offsuits. I think we were all shocked on that one. ;) :) Even had to watch the replay. :)

I know you ask why would anyone go alone with 2 10 offsuits, but what happened was I meant to chose Hearts and ended up choosing Diamonds. The only stopper was a Q of H, which they ditched in favor of an Ace of Space, which was a suit I didn't have. (who wouldn't) And the other 10 was Clubs, which my partner held most of. Was amazing. :) ...LOL :lol: Yay (And that's why Josh calls me the Loner Queen.) :)

Ooo One more suggestion. Play Loners Only tourneys. They teach how little it takes to make a loner with. ;)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.