Loners and Defend Loners

parson1

Loners and Defend Loners

Post by parson1 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Alright, so when I played with friends in real life, we had something called "defned alone." I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with it, but I'll explain it since it's quite a simple concept. If someone on the other team goes alone, then you can defend alone, making it a 1v1. When one first reads this, they could easily (and mistakenly) dismiss it because they figure that "it would never happen." Well, it happened to me. someone called alone, and I happened to have 3 trump and two outside aces (or something close to it), I can't remember the exact situation as it was some time ago, but I remember that I could have gotten the euchre alone. Of course, all we did was get the euchre and 2 points. I think defend alone should be an option because if the other team goes alone, and you can euchre them by yourself, there should be more of a reward than 2 points.

On to loners themselves. I'm sick of people blocking with no trump. If I flip up the jack of diamonds or whatever, and I have a dutchman (all trump) in my hand or just a really good hand, it's lame to lose out on my 4 points because the other team decides to order me up with absolutely no trump. Personally, even when I want to block, I don't order unless I have at least one trump. My friends and I played this way as well, and while I understand that people play different ways in different areas (such as british rules, 15 points, etc.), I think to let people order something up with no trump is a violation of fundamental euchre rules.

So, what do you think?

the count24
Active Poster

Post by the count24 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:25 pm

The rules on hardwood euchre are the same as rules set by Grand Prix World Series Of Euchre Tournament. No defending alone, and making on 0 trump is allowed. Seems defence against loners was a common practice there too.
always play your best, and keep counting.....

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Euchre Rules

Post by Joe Andrews » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:57 am

Euchre is one of those games, which is replete with variations. Although the game is very popular in the Mid West region of the U.S. and most of eastern Canada, the rules are interperted differently.

When the Grand Prix added Euchre in 2002, it was necessary to standardize the rules in order to have a more uniform game. Otherwise, there would have been mass confusion. The old Progresive method of scoring (a total points game) was replaced with the classic "Tens" game. As for the restriction of ordering or picking up without a "natural" trump in your hand (very popular in Canada), I was unable to find this rule in any book. The Left was not considered a 'natural' trump! And most of the events in the U.S. did not apply this variation. Quite frankly, I found it rather frustrating when I did play in circles where the restriction was applied.

"Donating" or intentionally sacrificing two points to avoid losing to a late game Loner is part of the "Tens" game. This is especially true when you are leading 9-6 or 9-7, ( "at the Bridge") and the opponents have the deal. The "Natural" trump Rule removes this donating option in many cases.

I have no objection to Local rules or House rules when I play Euchre with friends or at someone else's tournament. Because the Grand Prix is a major "live" event with large Prizes, and an extended format, we must have standardized rules.

Doc
Active Poster

Post by Doc » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:26 pm

If you don't like being blocked that means it's working.

Euchre is already a game where your hands are effectively tired behind your back alot. And for a skilled player blocking is part of the game that requires skill and intuition; an ill-timed block can make the difference between winning and losing just as easily.

As for the defending alone, it would be an interesting option. But if I was sitting on a good euchre hand I wouldn't want to let the person know who's attemption the loner since they may then play it differently to avoid the euchre.