Language Support

Kamikaze17
Noob

Language Support

Post by Kamikaze17 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:59 pm

Is it possible to have multi lingual support for HW Jonas?? While i understand the difficulty in catering for some languages, maybe the ability to converse in some of the more used languages would encourage a larger membership. French German and Spanish are very commonly used elsewhere online and may very well be beneficial here. Just throwing the idea out there, hoping to find some support. If it is beyond the realms of possibility i understand completely.

Thanks for the chance to throw some ideas out there.

Warm Regards

Kamikaze
War not determine who is right... War determine who is left!

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:48 am

I dont believe you will get an affirmative answer, since from a month ago or something like that they told me I am not allowed to talk in my own language in the lobby (which is Croatian). But I could talk in croatian if I didnt know english. Lol I found it rather ironic.
As for to encourage more memberships I think they are making it quite obvious they do not want multi-cultured or multi-linguistic people on here.

In any case I totally support you in your wish :)

Amal
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:56 am

Armageddon

Yes you can speak in your language in the lobby....they prefer that you speak in english while in a game with other english only speaking players...for obvious reasons....however there is an International room set up for players that speak a language other than english....and wish to converse in their language while playing a game...

Silvercreek encourages and welcomes all nationalities to join and enjoy the site...thats why its an international game site....
8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Even though we do allow other languages to be spoken in the lobbys, if it appears to a guide that you are doing it so you can put down someone (player or guide) or in any way using it to break the rules, you WILL be asked to stop, and one of the rules does say if a guide asks you to stop you need to comply.

We do encourage players from all over the world to join us here, however everyone must comply with the rules of the site, bashing and cussing in any language is not allowed.

We do also ask if someone is wanting to hold a long conversation they take it out of the main lobbys, so as not to disrupt players asking for people to join them in their games and so forth. On all our games you will be able to find a quiet room to do this :)

Thank you

I am woman I am strong

Sweetness n Light
Noob

Post by Sweetness n Light » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:18 pm

Interesting ... so .. if

[We do also ask if someone is wanting to hold a long conversation they take it out of the main lobbys, so as not to disrupt players asking for people to join them in their games and so forth. On all our games you will be able to find a quiet room to do this Smile]

Does that apply only to people who are not speaking in English ???

I am wondering if it should also apply to those speaking in 'broken' phonetic English' -ie those deliberately making a parody of English in an attempt at humor ??

I would have liked to think that an international site welcomes players from all countries including those fortunate to speak other languages without the need to segregate them into separate rooms or place limitations about what language they can use in a lobby !! But hey I am a dreamer i guess !!

SweetnessnLight

[/quote]

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 pm

Yes it does include those who speak english, good, broken or otherwise.

English speaking customers who are wanting to carry on long conversations are asked to take it to another room or to private messengers, so are people of other dialects. We try to keep the lobby FUN for all and flowing where everyone can enjoy using it. And everyone must go by the rules. no matter what language they choose to speak.
I would have liked to think that an international site welcomes players from all countries including those fortunate to speak other languages without the need to segregate them into separate rooms or place limitations about what language they can use in a lobby !! But hey I am a dreamer i guess !!
Its not really about segragation although I am sure some would like to see it that way, its more we are an American site which welcomes players from all over the world and do our best to accomadate everyone as best we can.

I am woman I am strong

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:47 am

I just love the assumption that anyone using a language other than English must be cussing, bullying or otherwise trying to cause a disruption. How exactly does a guide ascertain that this is happening when they don't understand the language? I'm assuming that they just take the word of whoever makes the accusation. Now that's fair. :?
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 am

Very good point Sweetness and light, exactly the point.

And yes Grandmas it is common sense that one should follow the site rules on english or any other language I dont fight that.
But what I want to know is: is this an american site that "welcomes" international players by not letting them use their own language in the main lobby but secluding them in other room, or is this an international site?
Cause just the fact most people talk english doesnt mean it could not be an international site. Its in the approach of how you treat people.
I know that I treat people, culture and languages all the same. And I know I would never ever ever ever make someone not use their language or go somewhere else to talk just because they talk in another language, or are different color or nationality. It just smells bad.

Long conversations are made also in english in the main lobby, but they are not allowed in other languages?
Please tell me it is not so or I will really start to feel discriminated.

Just for the record, I use my language only when it is easier to explain to my sister or dad. I really try not to use it alot because of common courtasy. I really felt alienated when they told me not to talk in my own language in front of the whole lobby.
But there were a couple of folks who stood by me and supported me, which I dont even know, english speaking ppl, whoever you are guys, thank you. I would do the same for you.

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:06 am

Wow... kinda opened a can of worms here.

Let me start with this one.... lol my personal fave. Not every player on HW is American! I run 4 clocks on my desktop for no other reason than to be able to greet people, be they friends or newbies, based on their own time. My location is in my profile, and available for all to view. If i can see that you are from the UK, then expect to be greeted according to the time i see you! If it in the am, that's all you're going to get from me.... Good Morning... regardless of what time it is US EST. And i take no greater pleasure then replying to a Good Morning, with a Good Evening, and seeing the surprise come when they see that i am an Australian. There are 20 Million of us! Is it so hard to believe that a few of us may have stumbled upon this great site?? Odds are in our favour. There are even more Brits.

While you claim to be an international site, I am yet to stumble across a German advertisment, let alone a Croatian (these are merely examples, I'm about to back you to the hilt XAmaltheaX, you are clearly an inteligent person) Heres an idea.... rather than simply claim to be an "international" site, try actually backing that up! I know many eastern european's, and guess what?? A vast majority of them not only have internet access, but SHOCK HORROR, are actually familiar with Euchre, Spades and Hearts. It's been a while since i've looked at the price to purchase HW Euchre, but off the top of my head it was around the $25 mark. Now my math may not be the best, but $25 multiplied by a potential eastern european market...... Why has this not been done????

Ok XAmaltheaX I am right there with you. An international site that promotes an alternate room for non english speakers so that they do not disrupt the lobby?? Shame Shame Shame. And if you are refering to extended or lengthy conversations, then even more shame to you! Majority of the people i've met in here and now associate with outside of HW, are people that have offered a witty remark or displayed a common interest in a conversation that i have been having with somebody else. It is a public lobby. anybody who carries a conversation in there can not expect it to go on uninterupted. That is the beauty of it. That's exactly what makes this such a great place! Why should my exposure to more players be limited because of HW's predjudice against foreign languages in a "public" lobby? I said it before and i'll say it again, Shame Shame Shame

One last thing to address and i'll leave this for now.

GrandmaS, I am unable to say the "f" word in HW (as well as many others), as this is against the rules of the site. I am extremely happy to find a site that does not allow that kind of language, and HW is to be commended for that. However, if i chose to break the rules and type in the "f" word, the second i hit enter, i would be "boxed". The actual HW program will not allow it! The program recognises foul text, because it has been told to. If it can be told to recognise english words, then one can only assume that it can be told to recognise any word of any language. So i apologise in advance for what is going to seem rude grandmaS, but i find that comment absolutely ridiculous.

Well i've said my piece now, and i'm very grateful for the oppurtunity to do so. thank you very much for your support XAmaltheaX. There's a whole world of experiences out there. Would be a great shame to miss a single one on account of the spoken language.

Take care everyone, and best of luck on your games!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 am

Ok your right you can't type the F word in the lobby, but people do get around it and do get sielenced for it, we dont' have everyword and every way to get around the word filter in the auto censor's because if we did you would wind up not being able to talk at all.

Example, say we put FU is in the filter, then any word containing the letters fu in a row couldn't be said. The filter doesn't recognize the rest of the word or sentance so FUN would be gone and many other words, with just that one example.

And no Jules we don't just take their word for it, we use translators which is time consuming and not always accurate, but it is the best way we can check it for now. Most chat (non English) I never even put though the filter nor comment on, however there are times when there are either complaints or cause to check it that a guide any guide has too.

Also if you scroll up I did say that English spoken long conversations are also asked to take it out of the lobby, not just non English ones.

xAmaltheaX said
Just for the record, I use my language only when it is easier to explain to my sister or dad. I really try not to use it alot because of common courtasy
Its that way because most people do speak English and its common curtosy to speak English in common places IF you can, within a mostly English speaking site.

As for now. I leave you to argue this amoungst yourselves as I have work to do, I have tried to explain to you the hows and whys things are the way they are, if you choose to take my words and make them appear bad and not as they were ment I am sure someone will find a way.

No matter who you are or where your from I hope on this day you have FUN and enjoy the games. In the way that works best for you and still keeps you within the rules of the site. :)

I am woman I am strong

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am

Primal,
Ill hold on to your reply cause ofcourse I like the sound of it the best :)
Ofcourse, I dont talk in croatian ever in games, as you said for obvious reasons.

But anyways, Ill ask once again to avoid any misunderstanding and to make it official. Am I allowed to freely talk in my own language in the lobby? (no cursing, spamming and similar ofcourse)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Any language can be and is spoken in the lobby, however, if (including English) you wish to discuss the history of the Aztec civilization (just using this as an example) you will be asked to take it to another room.

If on the other hand you wish to say: Hello Joe, Hi Susan, how are the wife and kids, doing good TY, would you like to pard in a game, Yes I would, you set or me, you set, ok cu there...... now this may seem like a long convo to some but completely acceptable IN ANY LANGUAGE.

BUT, if you are going to talk like out on the fence line while doing laundry (if anyone hangs laundry anymore) this may not be acceptable IN ANY LANGUAGE. Especially if your going to talk trash. Best way to do this is make arrangments to meet in IM or in a room and have a ball talking about whatever and you can have has many join you as you want. Yes there are only 4 chairs at the tables but there is standing room in the "WATCHERS BOX".

As GrandmaS pointed out is being reasonable with your convo's in the lobby both in what you say and how much you say. It does not matter what language you speak in. I use Martian!!!

JUST DUST

PS - And Ogreeses
Last edited by Dust In The Wind on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:30 pm

Personally, I have always loved seeing other languages spoken in our lobbys. In hearts, I learned to speak a little Macedonian, for when I was in Hearts, there was quite a few players from Macedonia there.

I loved it!! It made me feel like small parts of the worlds were colliding with each other -- mingling in a good way.

It created a freshness and excitment.

In Euchre we have a small population of Croatians, and I feel we have been blessed by them. I always enjoyed watching their conversations. I didn't mind that I couldn't understand what was being said. I knew it was good. Not just because of the hihihihi, but because you could just tell. Languages flow in a certain way, and it was never too hard to discern that these people were enjoying each other.

I hate that anyone would feel discriminated against because of something so elementary as a language. I want all to feel comfortable and welcome here with us. For we are blessed because of you.

With all due respect to the powers that be, I must offer my full support of other cultures and languages being allowed to be spoken in our lobbys.

That's my feelings on it, anyway.

BTW, do Aussies really speak English! (winks at Kam) ;)

~ Susan

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm

There really is only one thing i can say to that jibe AB..... PFFFFFFFFFFFFFT ROFL (for the record..... PFFFFFFFFFFFFT is Aussie for @#$#@$!@@#$#)

TY for your support AB. So great to see that i am not alone in this matter. Hopefully the powers that be will take note.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:32 pm

What we (GrandmaS and I) are trying to relay to you is what the "powers to be" have asked us to do when it comes to this topic. These are the guidlines setforth recently to the guides to follow and it is writen within the rules, sorry you can do a report and ask that it be changed if you wish........

JUST DUST

PS - Said all I can say on this one and as GS said done.

PS - I have been to many countries and have enjoyed many languages and learned from them. I have never had a problem with others speaking in their native tongue as we have many at my work and am frequently amoung people speaking many languages and sometimes at the same time from Viet. to Ger, to Span. to Belg. to Croat. (yep have some that I work with) to Jap. to cowboy...... np, but it always seems like I learn the cuss words first besides the Hello's and Goodday's... LOL

Buonas noches para ahora
Bonne nuit pour maintenant
Gute Nacht für jetzt
Buona notte per ora
Goodnight voor nu
Goodnight για Ï„ÏŽÏ
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!