Language Support

Kamikaze17
Noob

Post by Kamikaze17 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:07 pm

Please note the first sentence in my original posting. I directed this to Jonas from the outset. I am well aware the guides, who do such a marvelous job, are doing nothing but following instructions, and enforcing the rules that are set to them. So if Jonas has not read this yet, i'd encourage anyone that has read it, and who might perhaps have a better way to put this to him, to do just that. I have no problem whatsoever with a guide enforcing rules, regardless of whether i agree with their personal opinions.

War not determine who is right... War determine who is left!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:14 pm

I will always uphold the rules, whether I agree with them or not. I will always do my best to honor the wishes of administration. And I am also pleased that they have given us this forum to express our opinions. It's a good thing. :)

respectfully yours :)

~ Susan

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Well, I speak English, cobber, I occasionally lay in my swag and play euchre whilst on the dog and bone. I go to the dunny sometimes when I put the game on hold. I get a beer from my esky (chiily bin for our mates over the ditch) while i am lounging around in my underdaks and thongs (jandals for our mates over the ditch). When I'm pissed, I'm drunk, not angry. I have a mobile phone not a cell phone. I have Pay TV not Cable. I drink soft drink not Pop. I eat hot chips not fries.

YEP, I speak English. Buggered if I can figure out what them 50star types speak, but it aint English!!

I think I'll create an American to English dictionary, Australian to English, New Zealand to English, South African to English......Jeez, I'm getting confused now, what exactly is English?
Image I have the body of a god... Buddha!

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:20 pm

I just made the name, 50StarBeauty!

:)

you Rock, Terry! I honor you with this name. :)

The soul suffers when we make it live superficially and so seeks out things of beauty and the profound.

Grace finds beauty in everything.

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:29 am

Terry allows the forfeiture of any pending patents on the name '50star', and is so impressed with the dynasty, gives it his full accreditation.

The Matriarch of this new line of HW warriors will hereby be known as 50STARBEAUTY forwith, and all suitors must pass the 'English' test.

That most probably leaves only about one suitor...but.....

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

maggs_01
Active Poster

Post by maggs_01 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05 am

I'm Canadian! I speak ENGLISH eh! I wear muckalucks (winter boots) plop a touque on my head and I drive kmp not mph. I eat french fries not chips. So whatcha got to say to that eh?
Hugs
Maggs

Terry Brett
Active Poster

Post by Terry Brett » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:55 am

Apologies to my Canadian kin, whom I forgot to include in my dictionary publications. I will write a complete Mounties guide to the English language with Canuck references. I have banished myself to Prince of Wales Island with a ball of string and a nail for fishing, my carton of First Trax Brown Ale and no bottle opener (NO!!!!) and my trusty jockstrap as a defense to any amorous Polar Bear. This solitary confinement will ensure I don't do a diservice to any other creed in the future, it will also let me drink the ale in peace without the 'trouble and strife' telling me to stop drinking so much. Jeez, woman, its only 355mls, one belch and I have room for two at once. Sorry, I digress, where was I, oh thats right..Canadian English, lets see...hmmmm...Quebec....Parlez vous Anglais?
Cheers, all offense not intended, those afflicted please share a beer and take a pew.

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:49 pm

I love the different nuances on English from different speaking countries and some of them can be so funny if misunderstood. Imagine an American standing in a pub in London telling an attractive woman that she has a nice fanny ... he'd get a smack in the mouth! :lol:

I put my luggage in the boot of the car, not the trunk; I eat chips, not fries; I have a postcode, not a zipcode; I wear a bumbag, not a fanny-bag; and don't even get me started on Cockney rhyming slang 'cos I can't be bothered and I'll just remove me daisy-roots, me syrup-of-fig and me whistle-and-flute then trog on up the the apples-and-pears to bed! ;)
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 am

And what the heck is a rotter lol 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:34 pm

The same as a cad, a bounder, a jolly nasty fellow ;)
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Even the different areas of the US have different English words common to an area.... remember many times when I moved from the North (NY) to the south and had to say "WHAT???"
and not only those differences ones from NY City compared to other parts of NY state.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

up a crk
Noob

Post by up a crk » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:32 am

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I decided to post on this primarily cause english is not my native language.
My whole family is on this site and we generally and most often speak english just cause of other players. In a game we never talk in croatian cause we wouldnt like someone talking spanish in the game and u will always be suspicios if they are cheating.
However sometimes when I see some of my family members in lobby we speak croatian cause its easier. Sometimes I just cant find a suitable word or a sentance to describe somehting in english so I use croatian. Same with my sis and dad (he speaks english but has troubles with spelling).
I must say most of the people are fine with that. But yes we had some problems with a few players on euchre saying stuff like: this is america speak english. I dont mind that cause I can ignore them. But a few times we had the same guide situation, when guide told us we must speak english. I asked if I am not allowed to speak in my native language? I just got a warning that if I proceed I will be silenced. I told them they if he/she thinks I am talking stuff that I shouldnt she is free to check it out with a translator or something, I dont mind at all. I even told her what I was talking about.
Later on another guide told me its ok. I dont mind Babel or any other translator to be used with us, but please if we dont talk croatian at the table cause of u guys, why do we bother u when we talk in lobby?

Unicron
Illuminated One

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amalthea,

If a guide is telling you that in the lobby, thats not cool and I need to know. This rule applies to games only. As long as your not spamming you can speak Klingon to everyone in the lobby for all we care.

The rule is just a basic, common sense politeness thing. You don't go into someones house and help yourself to the fridge. If you ask first thats fine, but you need to ask.

How does it get any clearer than that?

Keellie
Active Poster

Post by Keellie » Sun May 06, 2007 1:49 pm

The guide in hearts today said that Jonas changed that decision today, ONLY english could be spoke in lobby. Hopefully, I misunderstood that.
There was both english and another language chat going on, both respectful, nothing bad but the non-english players were told to STOP because it wasn't allowed anymore as of today.

JONAS - please confirm.

thanks.[/quote]

XAmaltheaX
Active Poster

Post by XAmaltheaX » Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Ya I heard something about that too, but I dont think we should worry, since I found out that it is strictly forbidden based on United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. Well, correct me if Im wrong:

Article 2
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 30
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

Im not sure if I understood this well, since my language limitations, but if I did you must have misunderstood Jonas. He was prolly just saying people shouldnt spam the lobby no matter what language is spoken, right?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

HW Angel
Active Poster

Post by HW Angel » Mon May 07, 2007 1:27 am

XAmaltheaX wrote:
....., but if I did you must have misunderstood Jonas. He was prolly just saying people shouldnt spam the lobby no matter what language is spoken, right?
I certainly can't speak for Jonas, but I think your last paragraph is probably correct. This is an international site with players from all over the world. The majority of the players do speak English (of some sort - I won't debate which is the correct English). The main lobbies are for everybody to interact.

If there are a couple of players who wish to have long conversations, Jonas made International rooms in spades and hearts to accomodate those players so they could go have lengthy coversations in the language of their choice freely in the lobby or at the tables. Euchre does not have an International room, but players who wish to have long conversations in another language are certainly free to go to Glenda's or Just for Fun and enjoy their conversation.

I have been present when foreign language is briefly spoken in all three of the games and there isn't a problem. I don't know the specific situation from the prior post and therefore can't comment on it, but I do think you captured the spirit of Jonas' wishes XAmaltheaX.

Foreign language is not prohibited, but as a courtesy to others, when in the main lobbies, do not carry on lengthy conversations in a foreign language that others cannot be participants. If it appears a lengthy conversation is going to ensure, request the other individual(s) to join you in one of the other public lobbies such as International, Glendas, or Just for Fun.

This also applies to lengthy English conversations that is specific to just a couple of players. I and other guides have requested individuals engaging in a conversation just between themselves to please move the conversation to a less populated public lobby.