Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Public Beta Test for Dangerous Mines!

Post by Jonas » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:34 pm

Okay folks, this is the 1st round of public beta for our new game:

Ruckus Buck: Dangerous Mines

Here is the beta download page for Dangerous Mines:
http://www.silvercrk.com/minesweeper.html

This is a totaly new and redone version of Minesweeper.

We thought long and hard comeing up with innovative new ways to make minesweeper fun without looseing the spirit of the game.

Classic mode:
This is pretty close to the Minesweeper you have grown to love.

FreeEdge: One of the problem with the basic version of minesweeper is that it can be a bit frustrateing geting a start on the game. Also, mines around the edge of the board are a lot more likely to be a guessing game not a game of skill. So what we did is made sort of a Moat or Freed up the edge so that there is an island of mines to solve. This enhances the fun of skill and reduces the guessing game.

Gauntlet: This is where things get diffrent. Still in the spirt of the game, but now ever more fun. What we have done is found a way to play up the SKILL fun. Gone are the painful 1 hit and your dead games.

Now you can play minesweeper in rounds! Each round you will be given so much time to solve the level. If you make it in time, you move to the next round. The goal is to see just how good you are as you make it up to the highest round you can!

IF you hit a mine, you don't die, but you will have to take a time out while the clock is ticking!.

Gauntlet is a blast.

We need feedback and lots of it. Some of the stuff we are doing here is pretty diffrent so we need to know how much fun the game is, and what you like and dislike.

We also need you to let us know when things are just plain broke, or we failed to be clear on explaining somthing.

Thanks for your help. and remember this is a TEST version. It may not be entierly stable, that is kinda the point of a beta test. To make it stable with feedback.

Here is the beta page for Dangerous Mines:
http://www.silvercrk.com/minesweeper.html
Last edited by Jonas on Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:03 pm

I gave it a good try. :? It must be a guy thing because I didn't get any enjoyment out of getting blown up. :roll: I didn't understand the rules no matter how many times I read them. :oops:
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:12 pm

Hrmm perhaps that could use some work.

The play:

The basic idea is that you want o find all the gems and clear out the rest of the squares.

The numbers next to the covered squares tell you how many Exploding gems there are next to it. You want to right click and flag the uncovered square you belive to have a gem.

I recommend trying the "Free Edge" mode to learn the basics. This opens up a lot of squares so you can start thinking your way to the center.

TIP: if you see a "1" and there is only 1 covered square, then that is a Gem. Right click on the covered square to flag it.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:18 pm

another tip:

If you get stuck, wait for 10 seconds, then the game will start giveing you hints by coloring a numbered square green.

What that means is that if say it colored a "2" square green, that there are only two uncovered squares, so them MUST be Gems. So flag them.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:38 pm

ok, Tell me what I did here. :? No bells or whistles and I didn't get blown up. Did I win something?
http://users.igl.net/mickodie/Ruckus.jpg

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:59 pm

Okay, yep, as soon as you remove those flags, you would win.

See you have ment the requireemnt for the numbers on the gems you have allready found, so the flaged squares aren't gems, and once cleared you win :)

TIP: See there is says "gems" at the top. That tells you how many games that are left to be found. In this case it says -3, which would mean that all the gems have been found, but then there are too many that have been flaged that mines. Exactly 3 too many :)

American Beauty
Grand Master

Post by American Beauty » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:23 pm

I never cared for the game, until I discovered FreeEdge and the little flags. The way I play is that I rush around real quick and put flags where I know there are gems, then I start clicking away. Plus, we removed the option for the question mark when you remove a flag. That ate up way too much time.

I cleared the board once in 7 seconds. Granted it was set at easy, but 7 seconds! 8)

Now, I'm hooked. :)

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:05 pm

When you click away in Solitare it automatically pauses the game, this one does not do that, nor did I see a "quick" way to pause it.

Next thing I notice is the timer, when you "refresh" (start a new game after playing one) the game the timer is running as soon as you hit the button but it may take a few seconds for the screen to actually apprear. I had several games "start" with 3-18 seconds already gone.
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:44 pm

I am more confused than ever. :shock: I right clicked on every square -- a flag or a gem showed up -- I then went back and cleared the flags and won five games in a row. Right click and win or left click and get blown up? This can't be all there is to it. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry:

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:37 pm

Well it will let you flag any square you want. the trick is to flag thr RIGHT squares.

So whats happening, is that the Flags you plant that are absolutely correct are turning into gems, the flags that are incorrect OR it's not absolutly clear if they are right, will remain flags.

Also.... keep any eye out for squares turning red... this is a helper feature to let you know that you have put more flags around a number than what the number said.

That means that you have said that there are more mines than there actully is.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:23 pm

In the gauntlet version, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to penalize for losing the Bonus time you have earned previously. As the levels increase in difficulty, why take away points when I complete a level and still have over 125 seconds left??

Because of this it is possible to complete a level, finding all gems, missing none, with no penalty timers or lost gems, have plenty of time left, and STILL LOSE POINTS ON THE LEVEL!!!!

Bonus time should be just that...a bonus for completing a level quickly.

Second complaint is about the warping. What if I do not want to warp? I am forced to play levels slowly on purpose just so I can see what other levels are like. I still haven't played levels 3,5 or 7 yet because I complete the others too quickly.

Finally, gameplay is too slow, too much delay between clicking on a square, and a flag being set.

So far, these are my only complaints. I do like the different versions though. It adds a new dimension to an old game.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:35 pm

ya Warping was highly debated here.

The IDEA was that it helps to match the skill level of the player with a approate challange as to not bore the player with less challangeing levels.

Perhaps we could have way to OPT out of the warping.

I'll have to put some thought into that score thing, I would't think youwould get negitve points. Are you sure you are just seeing the -Time for going over par?

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:20 am

Absolutely positive about the loss of points. When I am doing level 9, 10, etc. I have lots of bonus time built up, but if it takes longer to do the next level than the time alotted for that level, you start to lose points. If it takes long enough you lose points for that level, even though you complete it and still have time left, due to accumulated bonus time.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:44 am

oh thats interesting. I don't think I ever had that much acumulated time to run over with :)

we'll have to put some thought into that.

thanks

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:04 pm

My pleasure. This new variation on an old classic has become quite addicting to me. I can't believe I am actually thanking you for bringing another minesweeper game into the realm, but this one beats all the others hands down. Well done. Great forwards thinking by you and your staff.

Hopefully future games from SCE will be of the same caliber or better. I look forward to them eagerly. Keep us informed!