Public Beta Test for Dangerous Mines!

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:22 pm

A couple more suggestions for improving the game:

1) Perhaps add an additional timer to see how much time is available before the bonus time begins to be used. Unless you are really paying attention when the level info comes on the screen, you can miss how much time is allowed for that level.

2) The screens on later levels, such as 8,9 and above are too small. With this size it becomes dificult to differentiate between the 3 and the 5 because they are similar in color. It also becomes more difficult to click fast accurately. It is REALLY difficult when on levels 11 and 12. That's as far as I have gotten so far.

3) With the slowness of the reactions, the time limits on levels 11 and 12 are too short. Unless you have at least 20-30 seconds of bonus time remaining, you will not get past level 11. Really very, very difficult to find 83 gems in 66 seconds which is what is required on level 11.

I'll keep looking for more, this game is just so addicting!! Exactly what you wanted to hear too, isn't it?!?

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Updated version of Dangerous Mines! Download and test!

Post by Jonas » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:30 pm

allright, try this one, and see if it feels better:
http://www.dangerousmines.com

Things of interst:

Now much less clicking between round in gauntlet, with less uninteresting info.

More intutive flag -> gem chioces. This should put a gem when it's obviusly a gem .

Let me know if it seems better.
http://www.dangerousmines.com

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:34 am

OK, I finally got some time to play the updated version and simply put, I enjoyed it much more. Made it to level 13 this time, with over 400 seconds of time to carry over to level 14 but had to exit to go somewhere.
I must say I appreciate not having to view as much junk info between levels and the ability to play each level as well. Perhaps an option to play each level or allow warping through levels could be included? Also at upper levels, when the board becomes larger, it can be a bit dificult to view the screen. A suggestion might be to slightly increase the square size.

Overall, a great game though. I do believe a purchase could be forthcoming. Blows all other minesweeper games out of the water!

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Finally had a chance to play an uninterrupted fuul length game just now. Made it to level 23 where I lost with just 10 or so more mines to find.

Final score of 2,581,000 give or take a couple hundred.

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:51 am

gack!!!!

Duffer dear, you have TOOOO much time on your hands.......I will GLADLY give ya some of my work!
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:14 am

LOL, I wish I had too much time on my hands. Working six days a week, sometimes 10 hour days. Then most of my free time is taken up by the golf course. It is almost summer now ya know!! Hence my nic, duh!! Then there is always the yard work and the remodeling of rooms in the house, too. And oh yeah, the occasional sleep!!

cattani

Post by cattani » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:23 pm

This game is a BOMB.
I like it very much, is so fantastic.
It is possible to put more option in the future ?
Minesweepr is a limited game, but SilverCreek build a unique game.

Thak you !!!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:34 pm

What kind of options do you think would be cool?

St Stephen
Active Poster

couple ideas to improve

Post by St Stephen » Sat May 01, 2004 4:27 pm

WOW this is so dang cool! I am so excited that yall took a great game well beyond the next level. I wish I was aware of it sooner. I haven't been paying attention te the forum lately. :oops:

I have a couple suggestions:

1) I am noticing that the 3 & 5 look very similar. I noticed that Duffer mentioned this in a previous post when advancing to the further levels & when the boards are smaller. I having the oppopite problem & it puzzles me. But in the first 4-5 levels is where I am having a tough time with this. Yet not as much in the further rounds.

2) I have only had a chance to play 3 rounds of the gauntlet & love it, love it, love it. The main problem with it that I am having is that i have advanced to higher levels 15, 17 & 18. When I go to restart again my eyes are really thrown off going back to the bigger board & larger squares. Its a tough adjusment, mentally maybe. Could an option be established so that I use the same size board for each round? I know this may sound petty, but its just a thought, others might agree with me.

3) the 5 second count off clock. I think there could be some room for improvement. First of all maybe the board should be blacked out as to not allow you to make advanced moves in your head. Just a thought, not really a fan of the idea personally. But the clock mainly becomes a problem with its placement in the middle of the board. I drag it out of the way to get a "look ahead". Couldnt it remember where i put it last so that it doesnt come right back up in the middle of the board? Maybe keep it in a corner at all times out of the way & it turns on when necessary. Anyhow, thought i might start a brainstorm with this one.

4) As I am playing in the middle of a round there isn'y much way to tell what my current round & score is. Could yall add a scoreboard for this kind of info during game play, at least the round # we are playing on? This seems to be the bigger challenge myself than are the points.

Thanks so far for the great BETA, I look forward to any new updates.

Oh yeah, one more thing, now i got an icon of Duffer on my desktop :P
St Stephen with a rose, in & out of the garden he goes.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat May 01, 2004 8:00 pm

Hahahaha, I am very flattered, even though I know it is the default icon for the game. Seriously though, this game is the BOMB!! I never thought it possible to update such a classic in such a great way. Here's hoping more people try it, they will undoubtedly enjoy it.
Last edited by duffer36 on Sat May 01, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Sat May 01, 2004 8:59 pm

After another entertaining game of Gauntlet, I have a new high score of 3,497,552. Only 12 gems short of completing level 25. I will make it to level 30, I will!!

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Sat May 01, 2004 9:39 pm

I repeat! It must be a GUY thing!

St Stephen
Active Poster

high scores

Post by St Stephen » Sat May 01, 2004 10:24 pm

WOW duffer, even in the old versions you had me beat. I have 5 scores all between 1.1 & 1.6 million all levels 17 & 18. I will get past this little slump i am in. I have only 2 other scores on my list, kinda low as i am still getting used to this. soon we will have a new thread going again on high scores :lol: These are all started from the easy level.

When I tried from the normal level I have got to 1.3 million. Im addicted already.
St Stephen with a rose, in & out of the garden he goes.

SGTSnuggles
Active Poster

Any newer beta than Beta 4 available?

Post by SGTSnuggles » Tue May 04, 2004 11:29 am

Hi Jonas,

Is there a newer beta than Beta 4 available?

Also on my mom's machine when I play with Beta 4 the board re-draws are dog slow.
Her specs are as follows:-
Win 2000 + SP4.
1GHZ P3.
128 MB Ram.
32 MB GF2 MX 400 graphics card + Forceware 61.11 Drivers.

On my machine the re-draws are quick.
My specs are as follows:-
WIn XP + SP1.
1.2 GHZ AMD Thunderbird.
512 MB Ram
128 MB ATI Radeon 9100 + Cat 4.4's.

Surely my moms machine should be able to handle the game ok and be quite snappy?

Also I have noticed thart the Environment you choose does not get saved so that the next time you open up the game it is the 'default' one or is this a limitation of the beta?

Thanks.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Tue May 04, 2004 11:48 am

@environment question: I think thats a limit of the trial version not so much the beta. In the trial version envionments are limited to 5 mins of use. So it pops back to the default.

Dog slow redraws: You moms machine should be good to go. Check to see what happens if "enchanced mode" is checked off or on.

What might be happening if it's REALLY dead dog slow, is that the game might be thinking that it can run in Hardware accelertated mode when the hardware doesn't support it OR that the video card doesn't have enough ram to support this game in that mode. resulting it a slower draw that non enhanced mode.

However the stats LOOK okay. of course make sure she isn't running out of system RAM. If it starts swaping to the HD, thats would make things pokey.