Update to the Dangerous Mines beta

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Update to the Dangerous Mines beta

Post by Jonas » Mon May 17, 2004 6:39 pm

We've done some updateing to Dangerous Mines Today.

Go and download the lasted at:

http://www.dangerousmines.com

We some visual changes, added in a new environment and added in music for the intro.

CheshireCat
Noob

bug?

Post by CheshireCat » Wed May 19, 2004 1:43 pm

In the Gauntlet round the "New Game" on the rt click drop down menu does not work.
ick

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed May 19, 2004 1:48 pm

Thanks, we'll get that fixed right up for the next version.

Run into any other problems?

CheshireCat
Noob

Post by CheshireCat » Wed May 19, 2004 5:44 pm

Good thank you.
I do have a question/suggestion. I understand that if you close the program in the middle of the game the last game you played is automaticaly saved. First of all it would be nice to save more than one game. What I am asking for though, is a save option on that right click menu, and/or an option to save while the game is paused. The nature of the game is to progress to high levels, and that is time consuming. I have found that it is difficult and wastes precious seconds if I need to pause or save my game for some reason. Easier access to save funtions would make the game more enjoyable.
Access to all options while in pause mode would be useful as well. For example the sound effects that at first are cool can turn annoying on level 17. As it is now the only way to access options to enable/disable or adjust sound options is before the game starts or while it is in play. I feel I should be able to pause the game and adjust what I want with out losing time.
Thanks!

*** I just got to level 9 of the easy gauntlet game, and the number graphics changed on me. I deffinetly do not like the new numbers versus the old ones. I understand there were some viewing issues, perhaps the numbers being too small, I do not like these graphics though. Can we have options?

duffer36
Big Poster

Post by duffer36 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:11 pm

As one of the earliest players to test the beta, I offered several suggestions for improvement, one of which was for different numbering to make it easier to see on the later levels when the blocks are smaller. I like the new font. For me it is easier to see, but I do agree with Cheshire that some might like the other way. Perhaps it could be an option to allow for both ways?

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed May 19, 2004 7:20 pm

I don't see a problem with getting both suggestions in :)

keep them comming .

CheshireCat
Noob

Post by CheshireCat » Wed May 19, 2004 10:34 pm

OK!
In the orriginal beta release, during the gauntlet game, in between rounds you were given a splash screen with some information. I would like to see this put back in. (As a matter of fact, it occurs to me I have no idea how much time is automaticaly given to me for each round!) The splash screen should tell us how much time I will have for this round, the bonus left over time from the prior round being added. It should also tell us how many gems we are facing for the round. At this time the only way to know how much time you have and how many gems is to glance up top real quick at the start of the round which wastes time and makes it difficult to focus on the board. At this time the level complete screen just tells you your score which is nice but is not all that usefull, and what round is next. The Round # complete message, blocks the time clock up top where you might be able to see how much time you had left.
As for the number graphic issue, while I do not like the new numbers, I think the abrupt change between the two graphics was really my issue. Maybe something inbetween the two is what is called for. The new numbers were just too... hard? I dunno not as silvercreekish as they should be? Just too plain? Maybe thats it you need a nice ambiant graphic and a sturdy solid no messing around easy to read graphic.
One thing I do not understand regarding the difficulty in reading the numbers, is why the board has to go so small at level 9. If the board filled up the window space better, or just did not shrink as much, the numbers would not have to become so much smaller.
Have I mentioned that I love this game???? I have been playing it non stop for 5 weeks now! lol

Thanks!
*** I just sent in an error report about my repeated improper shutdown messages.

swanky
Active Poster

Post by swanky » Thu May 20, 2004 12:30 pm

Dangerous Mines doesn't use the "H" key to hide the game board and see only the environment. :cry:

Saul, the new Cavern enviro is very cool. Creepy and drippy. Hold me, I'm scared. :shock:

Manny
Active Poster

Post by Manny » Thu May 20, 2004 1:24 pm

"New Game" menu fixed

Right Click no longer unpauses the game. This means you can pause then right click to get at the options. Note that if you paused by clicking out of the window rather than the "pause" key, right clicking will cause the window to come back into focus and unpause. There's also a right click menu checkbox that works like the pause key.

Added Time to the Summary Screen

We had left multiple save/load out because you could just save, scout out where ther mines were and reload.

Thanks! :)

Manny
Active Poster

Post by Manny » Thu May 20, 2004 1:25 pm

We made pause work kinda like the "H" key in Solitaire, except for the "paused" message in the corner

CheshireCat
Noob

Post by CheshireCat » Thu May 20, 2004 5:34 pm

Will the screen that displays the time also tell you how many gems you are searching? It would be nice if it did.
As for save game... lol this is not a competition, there is no cheating! So what If I get to level 22 and things do not go well and I want to play that level over! I do not see why that would be a problem. I think it would encourage more players if they felt that after spending all that time the game was just not a total loss at some point. I myself would love the opportunity sometimes to retry a level that i wasted time on. The best I have been able to achieve is level 25 and that was by a hair. On a game that I got going real well, I would love the opportunity to save and try to do better than have to start all over. I think new players are easily frustrated and anything that encourages them to keep playing is very benifical.
Hey how about save points!!! that would be really cool! every 5 levels or so? Again I have to reiterate the idea is to get people to buy/play the game, not for you designers to worry about how they go about playing it even if you might consider it cheating. :D

I take it you have not released this new beta version yet?

Thanks!

CheshireCat
Noob

Post by CheshireCat » Thu May 20, 2004 7:28 pm

It would also be nice if the running out of time ticking bomb was more efficent. I think it should start ticking at 30 seconds remaining, perhaps gaining in volume or frequency of beats. The way it is now it is not much of a warning. (I actualy have no idea when the timer starts sounding right now, whatever it is its not enough)
Thanks!