Don't Freak Out

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
SLAMM
Noob

Don't Freak Out

Post by SLAMM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Howdy Yall,

Was just reading a post from Sandy aka Sandbar from July 4, 2006. The main subject was something to the nature of speaking foreign languages during games. What I understood from Unicron aka Jason, " Foreign languages may be spoken if ALL players agree upon this prior to game, otherwise it is an offense and is reportable".

I would have to say I agree with this totally and I'm sure at least 99% of the players here would also agree with admin.

Before I continue, please hear me out before any judgement is passed unto me because of my newly discovered reputation with admin. The inquiry I'm about to make is an honest one with no pun intended.

Please allow me to paint a picture. Four players join a game, may it be hearts, spades, backgammon....whatever. Prior to the game commensing, the host or one of the players ask if adult language or profanity will offend anyone. All players agree that they will not be offended at all. Even the players watching game from balcony answered they were fine with this.

My question is this, does it matter what is being said in a game where everyone consents? Whether it was speaking a foreign language, a new movie, profanity, or life in general??

I think its safe to say that everyone has purchased these games for entertainment and most importantly.....to have fun!!

Peace,

Orlando aka SLAMM

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi Slamm,

I did have a thought about this.

there are very few people i trust in this world and even fewer i trust online. couple that with the tremendous bad luck i have and sure enough
being in a room playing with 4 people and some watchers all of which i considered friends and "letting loose" with (consented) speech one of them is bound to back stab me and report it.

I always say to myself:

1) avoid predicaments
2) never hand out weapons to others who can use them to injure you with.

What im getting at is, even if the guys in the know say "yes, that would be alright" (and i dont know what they'd say, btw) but if one of your backstabbing friends reports it... youre doomed. Even having had your friend's supposed consent first.

Why leave yourself open like that just for the chance to say the word *&^%$# among friends? when all you have to say is CheeseNRice!!!! (ever seen the movie with brittany murphy? Just Married? nevermind!)

xox
Hexa
Last edited by HEXA on Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:38 pm

Well you still need to stay with in the guidelines, as a watcher could pop in the window of your game and see you saying things that aren't allowed. That watcher just might be a 13 year old kid watching to try to see how its played here or to see the fooms because they are new.

So if your using Profanity that isn't allowed here and they report you, your chat is checked and your in trouble. Sorry but if you feel the need to talk sex or profanity then you and your friends need to get messengers and use them.

As for non english I have been in games where we agreed Dutch was ok. At the time my partner was Dutch and knew what they were saying so there was no chance of table talk etc. A watcher popping in unless they were Dutch speaking wouldn't have had a clue what was being said and with this group sex and profanity was not an issue.

Its like when you come to my house, if we say we have kids and don't cuss in our house then you show us the curtosy of not cussing, even if you have been with us some where and heard us cussing it would be a place like a cassino where are kids aren't and neither are anyone elses.

This is SCE's home, you can come and play as long as you go by the rules :)

Hugs and Smiles
Linda/grandmaS

I am woman I am strong

RiverBelle
Active Poster

Post by RiverBelle » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:40 pm

I agree Hexa! To add,,, unless I know the person in real life, face-to-face and are living with them, I would not agree to anything online that could get me in trouble. We make some nice "acquaintenances (sp?" here, but you have to keep it in perspective. Just enjoy yourself here and watch your backside :)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Trying to figure how cussing can say anything more than other adjectives and adverbs and get the point across.... yes there may be a time and place for letting loose, but when a child may over hear them it certainly is not necessary.

Yes being a Sailor (didn't need training, to learn how to cuss) sort of says I can cuss like one, but I never brought it home.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

SLAMM
Noob

Post by SLAMM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Hiya Hexa, GrandmaS, Riverbelle, Dusty,

All of you have made very excellent points, I have to admit, I didn't see things that way. I don't want to sound as if profanity is a must, and I am not encouraging anybody to do so. Perhaps I was too vague with my query.

If players within a game are using profanity, with or without anyones consent, and no reports are filed against them, should they still be subject to punishment? I'll give another example that may help you form a better opinion. Let's say a player told a joke during a game that included some foul language and noone reports it. A month, a week, or even a day later, someone from admin just happens to stumble upon the chat.
Should they take any action against the player? Mannn, I should hope not! I know of one player right now that would be in a bit of a pickle if this were so! :shock:

Ciao Yall

PS- Oh and Dust, no comment on who that player is ding dangit..LOL

PSS- For our english only friends, Ciao means Adios...no wait, Auf Weidersehn...uhhhh..... Ohhhh, Goodbye! :oops:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Well according to the way it works here there are rules to live by while you are using SCE online, so breaking the rules is breaking them.

There are only a few reasons why the admin of the site (who are the only ones that can) would go back into someone's chat. One a report filed so they check your previous chat to substantiate or not the report..........Two you apply to be a guide and they do a SCE background check on you for previous actions taken against you etc..............Three they are looking at one two many offenses by you and are checking to see if you need a ban.

If in any of these cases stuff pops up even when you thought you were alone (we are never truely alone within the "walls" of SCE) it can effect you.

In the end, people choose to be in the SCE games for many reasons, some because they don't want to be exposed to sex and cussing type chat, some love the fooms and fantastic graphic's, some love the variety of games, some like the way everyone seems to know everyone after a short time of being here.

Now for some, they like some of those things but would like to change others, but when you buy SCE games you buy the whole package, rules, guides, fooms, graphics, game variety and all.

You don't buy a membership to a workout gym and then go in and say hey you know the other gym I went to they let guys and girls run on the tredmill naked why can't we do that here, (when in the rules it said no nudity outside of the showers) or they had 15 weight benches and you have only 10 whats your problem? You buy it for what it is and what it has and if they have a suggestion box you can make suggestions and WOOHOO if they take some of them and if not well your still getting what you paid for.

So if you felt you couldn't resist cussing you bought the wrong game, if you felt you were looking for cyber sex you have come to the wrong place, but if you were looking for good cards, good friends and a mainly family friendly enviroment then your in the right place :)

I am woman I am strong

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:00 am

What GS says is absolutely right and they do check Guides on a regular basis... I would expect no less. Yes like most companies today they have drug tests that are random and as a person might feel that they wish to risk their employment by trying to best the odds by doing drugs knowing their number could come up at anytime is that taking a chance. Same goes for speeding, it's against the law whatever it may be in the area your driving in, yes you may get away with it, but when you don't you are the only one to blame.

So you may have a gentlemans/ladies agreement to allow this in a game but if caught feel free to blame yourself.

JUST DUST

PS - Not sure but in case you were... I am sure when I told any joke here it was sanitized for even the young to hear. I have said a lot of things to my monitor but as far as I know it has never repeated it to the keyboard in anyway.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 am

(when in the rules it said no nudity outside of the showers)
Move the treadmill to the shower area :wink:

A month, a week, or even a day later, someone from admin just happens to stumble upon the chat.
My dog/kids never learned anything being punished a month after the occurence. I did use it as a hint to pay closer attention though and catch em in the act so as to punish then, when it was fresh on their minds, and when it would actually teach them you cannot do whatever the occurence was.

(Now onto my thought about this, I dont know admin's answers I'm just overly opinionated and a tad nosey! :lol: ) I personally do not think admin is running around looking for oppurtunities to punish/ban people. They actually need bodies in game chairs to keep the site running! I think they look into things when a complaint (report) has been made. When someone is bothered/offended by someone else is when it is a problem. I think they have a few words/occurences which are on the "automatic bannable occurence" list and that probably may include stumbling upon it. I imagine it's all considered and investigated on a case by case basis and also depends upon who was present, what conspired etc.. If admin stumbled upon an unclean joke in a game room (not the lobby, thats a different topic) of 4 players where everyone laughed, said "good joke, i liked that", and it didnt appear to offend a single person and there were no complaints made about it, it probably wouldnt even be considered punishable. Heck, they'd probably write it down to share with their own buddies.

xox
Hexa

Ps.. Slamm i understood what ya meant by "stumbling" upon something.. Such as reviewing a game because a complaint made about a program error where an unclean joke (mentioned above) also took place but wasnt complained about.
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:10 pm

Dont think I have ever cussed in HW.....at my monitor like the Ogre maybe.....but never in a game or in the lobby......its just common courtesy not to....... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.