New Playas~ Newbies..

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
Mompsu
Big Poster

New Playas~ Newbies..

Post by Mompsu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:10 pm

Dont remember, where~

it was already discussed about.. Me personally disturbs this greeting to the new Players. Is there any way, to make it on their own Screen? Also I guess, not many of them are THAT amused of, to be announced to everyone a`la *hey this guy is a newbie... :roll: .. Some other players might get mean to Newibes, to tell them a wrong Info, play nasty against them etc.
Maybe also.. What about to make a special Server Greeting on Newbie`s screen.. Your`e very welcome to Hardwood. If u have a Questions, dont be hesitate to ask.
There could be a link to Hardwood Forums, to the topic* Helpful links* ... And Greeters shall get a special color, like a lightgreen or something, and to mention them in a Server greeting as well, that they are willing to help by any questions. The best if there is also a script, to question Greeters on their own screen, out of lobby.

After 30 Days this special Newbie Hardwood could be automatically updated to the normal Lobby..

Ok Ok I know, Hardwood Crew has lotsa stuff to do, but. It could be very Userfriendly :)*
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Re: New Playas~ Newbies..

Post by Primal Instincts » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Naaaaaa I like the old fashioned way.....Hi welcome to HW....its more personal and lets them know we are offering them help if they need it....HW is a real site with real players.....why not give them a REAL greeting and welcome......... 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:38 am

Also although we may have some onery players that would give the newby a hard time, we have many more nice players who will invite a newby to play a game and show them the ropes.

With all the resetting that goes on, its often hard for players to tell newbys from regular players who have reset. I know lots that would gladly help a new player get started if they know they are in fact new players.

I am woman I am strong

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:27 pm

I think our greeters do a fantastic job, welcoming newbies into whichever game, whether it be Hearts, Spades, etc. I know I have been thanked many times when I was greeting, for all the help and assistance we have given them.
Also when they greet a new player it tells the other players....Hey, this person is new, and most of our players will take that into consideration when playing against them.
I know some forget they used to be new, but in the majority, we all like to help with the rules, colours, what shoot and no shoot means in Hearts, etc.
It doesn't help our greeters if some players tell them not to welcome any newcomers just because it takes up some lobby space amongst the chat, the cheery welcome tells them Hardwood is a friendly site.

Mompsu
Big Poster

Post by Mompsu » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm

I never ment ~
to stop greeting newbies !!
:roll:

I just only want this to happend on the screen of newbies themselves.. So as u get warnings from guides..

Thx for understanding :)*
Why the oldtime Players leave Hardwood.. Think about it, will ya !!!!

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:23 am

ok this is a very sensitve topic so i will try for once to be serious.
I was joint first greeter...Back then there was no rules on greeting , we just did what we did best and naturally, or at least that is how it was for me. I remember my welcome 8 years ago and while i am being sensible, i may as well be totally honest too, it was more like a baptism of fire, and that is an understatement.
So by my becoming a greeter, i had gone full circle, for me hw is an amazing place almost magical, the people are all unique each and every one.
And these people had to have come from somewhere and WE ALL was once new, so if anyone appears new it makes me feel good to help them if i see they need it. which brings me to my style of greeting.

I will say welcome to a new player then await their response , if within seconds they jump straight into a game, then it is obvious to me they do not need any and help i will end it there UNLESS they come back onto the lobby and appear lost.
If there is no response to my welcome i will then tell them in binds that if they have ANY questions at all do not hesitate to ask myself or a guide whos name will appear in the name list in blue.
So that, Leelo blows ur claim clean out of the water of possible unwanted attention by any possible new member.

That is me, everyone else is different and we have to respect the fact that the greeters are freely giving their experience and trying to help new members feel welcome and comfortable.

I love hardwood and i would like to help and encourage as many new players as possible, growth is good.
There are basic rules for greeters set down by Jonas, and those basic rules will be followed...but every individual greeter will have their own individual style.

Greeters are giving a lifeline to perhaps somewhat otherwise possibly bemused new players.....the least they deserve is a little respect from the other players...PLEASE SHOW IT TO THEM...ALL OF THEM.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 pm

I for one appreciate what the Greeters do and are good for the site, but kind of nice if I have a question I have someone right at the front door willing to help me, will find the answer I seek if they don't know whether it be Hardwood or Walmart or any other place that uses Greeters.

Thank You Greeters in Hardwood

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

WIST
Grand Master

Post by WIST » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Senality Rains wrote: it was more like a baptism of fire, and that is an understatement.
Oh my gosh.. this statement made me snicker out loud. It reminded me of my first couple HW experiences.. i sure could have used a greeter !! but i think i would have been too shy to ask for help. I remember being sooooooooooo lost, overwhelmed would be my understatement LOL. At that time, i think there were only 2 lobbies in spades.. partners (Smoots) and singles (Gnomes). But once i found my way into a lobby (and trust me, even that took me some time hahaha), the tables settings were all over the place with the alt versions of the game.

I was lucky in that, the online players who had recommended HW to me, met up with me and taught me the basics of how to maneuver around the site ..whew. Amazes me to think, that was 7 years ago and there were no such things as greeters. I'm thankful that now our newbies have a soft spot to land :D .
for what it's worth

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Me too WIST I came to Hardwood before there even was a spades, euchre or backgammon lol. I landed in hearts and no there were no greeters back then. Forunately or unfortunately I had played at other sites and was looking for a place I could play a WHOLE game without being asked for a date or to get married or for ......... well you know, I was fed up with sites that weren't about the games they advertised.

Luckily for me some nice players made friends with me and helped me get started. When Spades was created I went there and loved it, some nice players again finding out I was new to spades helped me get my rating going and I thought WOW this is great. I volenteered as a guide and Jonas accepted me so I became a kind of greeter guide :), we didn't have "greeters" but as guides we greeted people and helped them find tables where they could get started.

I could say in the lobby "hey all we have a new player that would like to learn the ropes, who would like to help out today" and always get them into a game with in minutes. Back then guide had time to play in blue as well and many times I would pard them and ask for a couple to come help me teach them how hardwood worked and again it was only minutes before we had a game going.

I like MOD's style, lets them know we know their here and who to ask for help. I would love to see more players invite them into a game to help them learn the ropes like we used to do. Many oldtimers have unrated nicks just for goofing around and could use them to get someone off to a great start. Trust me it is very much appreciated. :)

I appreciate all the greeters they make being a newby here easier. And the guides that still greet when there are no greeters available too.

Thank you all

I am woman I am strong

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:09 pm

How many of us have been invited to a party where we didn't know most of the people...or go back to your childhood and remember when you had to walk into that new school and were scared to death you would fit in? It's so nice to have a stranger with a friendly face, a warm hello and person to make you feel comfortable in an unfamiliar place.

Hardwood can be a scary place at first with all the options some have never even heard of, a ton of rooms, colors, different games. The greeters perform an excellent job of making a new player just feel at home.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:30 pm

We also have a lot of players who do just that too and we don't want to forget them either.

Thank you to everyone that helps make new players feel welcome and helps lhem learn how to do all the cool stuff you can do here.

I am woman I am strong

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:42 pm

grandmaS wrote:Thank you to everyone that helps make new players feel welcome and helps lhem learn how to do all the cool stuff you can do here.

And thanks to each and every one of you guides for all you do as well..........now hand over the cookies Grandma.........
:P
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Yeah...... I heard there are Ogre's that lurk the deep dark alleyways of Hardwood......

JUST DUST

PS - Sorry false alarm.... someone put a mirror at the end of this alley
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:20 pm

lol