Stunning Senior Moment

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
SybiL
Grand Master

Stunning Senior Moment

Post by SybiL » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Stunning Senior Moment

A self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

'You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one', the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear.

'The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon.

Our space probes have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, ships and electric and hydrogen cars, cell phones, computers with light-speed processing...and more.'

After a brief silence, the senior citizen responded as follows:

'You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young........so we invented them.

Now, you arrogant little poo, what are you doing for the next generation?'

The applause was amazing.......

grandmaS
Grand Master

Re: Stunning Senior Moment

Post by grandmaS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:24 pm

HEHE love it Sybil and oh how true it is

I am woman I am strong

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 am

lol poignant to the younger generation, but true, i like it.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Being an inventor myself of several things used in different jobs I never hesitate to show my children and anyone else that may be interested in how to use your imagination to make what couldn't be done.... done! Solve the problem, find a solution, picture it in your mind, and then create but be aware your first impression may not work and this is where persistance, going back to the drawing board and recreation comes to play.

One of my first really big inventions took over a year to work out all the bugs and I will tell you today that what I envisioned the first day to resolve the problem (something the manufacturer of the equipment said they couldn't do) was completely different in the end, it wasn't anywhere even close to the original drawing I had drawn on the board that first day of a simple circuit and figured I'd have it done in a week. I won't bore you with the day-to-day trials and errors but it came down to one day... It had worked flawlessly in the lab conditions, signal generators, power supplies, everything was correct only missing the "real environment"... spent 21 hours in production and I could get it to work consistanly for 19 of those hours and then it hit me what was going on... made an adjustment for a time delay for data load and it worked just like it did in the lab........... The maufacturer of the equipment was asked after we put this online "how come they can get your equipment to this and you can't?" It was several more years until they figured it out meanwhile we became the only ones with the capability to perform this interface. It was really what launched my career.

Be inventive, don't give up, be prepared for failure but know that you tried and it doesn't matter if your young or old smart or not smart just give it a try and try to find a way... if that doesn't work... go buy one at the store... LOL.

JUST DUST

PS - You would be amazed at how many things in your daily life you could pick up and say.... wow if only they could do this and someone over in the corner overhears you say that and they go ahead and make it happen and get the money for YOUR idea. Just look at the Swiss Army knife for one... it started out being a knife....... when you lose that imagination you realize... wow I'm getting old...

PS - Your never too old not to think.... try not doing it.....
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:21 pm

Yep! Look at me for instance, never too old to learn new tricks :P
Glad your project is up and running there, Dusty one, hugs Sandy

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:20 am

I am thinking this is an allegory rather than an actual verbal exchange. Interesting story, though, as seen through the eyes of someone too young to be a baby boomer, too old to be a Gen-Xer.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

patchlove
Noob

Post by patchlove » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:02 am

"Being an inventor myself of several things used in different jobs I never hesitate to show my children and anyone else that may be interested in how to use your imagination to make what couldn't be done.... done! Solve the problem, find a solution, picture it in your mind, and then create but be aware your first impression may not work and this is where persistance, going back to the drawing board and recreation comes to play." DUST

Thank you for those words of encouragement- it applies to the creative works of any endeavor, and I will remember it.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Your very welcome Patch... to me nothing is impossible... I just haven't found the answer yet if it still is...

Never say die, find a way... This is a special and very hard time for many people in the world today with the economy, war, and what else ails the world. This is the time when things look bad to show your reserve and get through it, don't give up. History has shown many times that it can be a lot worse than it is now and I can think of many of them "The Black Death", each and every war, The ice age, droughts, floods, crop failures, be one that says you can't get me down, because I'm getting up now and if you knock me down again beware because I will keep getting back up.

JUST DUST

PS - Hang in there ALL!!!
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

patchlove
Noob

Post by patchlove » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 am

Dust,
Keeping the mind open to possibilities is the first and foremost step, one which you have embraced wholeheartedly. Change of a porportion and magnititude of those you've mentioned is,I believe,very near in the future.
We've just learned how to regenerate cell tissue and and organs; and conversely,have entered the cosmos with a perspective previously only dreamed about. We will need the superspeed influx of technology to deal with the changes we will face. Minds thirsty for knowledge like your own are paving the way.
The only process that seems to deny growth in isolated instances of the whole is the unwillingness to change personal perspective.

Now..if I could just get the spades game down pat...lol. :lol:

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:27 pm

You will get it Patch and GL... There are a couple of spades books publishers here that I feel their books are worth the money if you are really into spades enough to justify the expense. Both Joe and Galt have good books for reasonable costs. There are also many posts on the subject of play in the spades forum and those are free and and you can always pose questions of your own and you will find many good responses.

JUST DUST