Never seen anything like this before

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
sandbar
Guide

Never seen anything like this before

Post by sandbar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi, all, this was sent to me, we had never seen anything like it before, we have whale migration but never stingrays, thought those of you who hadn't seen it might like a squiz.

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Re: Never seen anything like this before

Post by Primal Instincts » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Wow.......awesome Sandy....at first I thot it was sheets of paper floatin in the water lol 8)
The Wilderness has answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask.

grumpie
Grand Master

Post by grumpie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 pm

iam soooooooo glad i wasnt the only one boosh :lol: cool pictures sandy ;-)

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Wow that is amazing, I had no idea they migrated or clustered up like that. Great pictures Sandy ty

I am woman I am strong

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:32 pm

They do look like scraps of paper floating don't they.... but this picture came from over your way....

Looking like giant leaves floating in the sea, thousands of Golden Rays are seen here gathering off the coast of Mexico . The spectacular scene was captured as the magnificent creatures made one of their biannual mass migrations to more agreeable waters.

Gliding silently beneath the waves, they turned vast areas of blue water to gold off the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula . Sandra Critelli, an amateur photographer, stumbled across the phenomenon while looking for whale sharks

Senality Rains
Guide

Post by Senality Rains » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:43 am

wow what an amazing sight, thx sand

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:21 pm

I've never seen that many Rays together... anywhere and have been in a few oceans, most I think I have seen is maybe a dozen or so. Seen many times hugh schools of fish, so many so it was like you could walk across them in the water.

Truely a cool picture. Nature can really amaze ya.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Just incredible....I remember one time at Kingston Canyon in Nevada sitting on a dirt road for hours while a massive Mule Deer herd in migration crossed the road.....and watching a herd of Rocky Mountain Elk migrate thru a canyon.....I just sat and watched in awe.......below are some pics I took today with my new digital with a fantastic zoom of what had to be at least 20,000 Snow Geese and a Golden Eagle perched on a branch watching them in anticipation of dinner......... 8)

tanda906
Active Poster

Post by tanda906 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Wow i had to look twices :shock: !!! Nice pics Sandy :D :D :D

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Oh Boosh I know where that is Skagit flats, every year they come in and its a beautiful site :)

I am woman I am strong

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 pm

You are absolutely right GrandmaS......I knew you would recognize these.......love watchin the Eagles and Redtail Hawks on these flats.....but the Geese steal the show....just beautiful when the sky is filled with them as far as you can see on a windy day.... 8)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Yellowstone was one of the best experiences of my life and not only for the "sitting on a volcano" but the tremendous number and diversity of wildlife there. We also went off the path to experience much more than you see from the road. The elk like you said Primal are something else in the hugh herds numbering in the 1000's and now with the buffalo with get just a glimpse of what it WAS like. The wolves that have been reintroduced into the wild has proven to be a success story too.

If the is one place in the US that one should go it is to that area with the mountains, wildlife, scenery and just awe of the "Big Sky Country". I loved going in the winter time but better dress for it if you so choose to go then, but do go, you will never forget it. To me it is one of the "Great Wonders of The World". I plan on going back again soon.

JUST DUST

PS - Your still not supposed to feed Yogi...
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Primal Instincts
Grand Master

Post by Primal Instincts » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:33 pm

We built the first BK in West Yellowstone Montana and kept it a few years before we sold it and during that time I got to spend part of a winter there......buffalo and elk and moose would just wander thru the streets sometimes lol......not much traffic during the winter there except for snowmobilers....part of the reason we sold it......but talk about a winter wonderland good grief......beautiful....... we then proceeded to build one in Jackson Hole Wyoming and I got to see the massive elk herds there winter up......they would take people out to see em on huge hay wagons and provide lunch.......

You are right Dust.....there is nothing like Yellowstone......been there many times and the last was when I went to the Badlands and the Wind Caves.....Devils Tower....Crazy Horse etc.........saw a rare black footed Ferret on the buffalo prairie just west of the Badlands.....not too many people see em in the wild so that was a bonus for me on that trip......btw Yellowstone used to be called Colters Hell for John Colter who discovered it back in 1807.....can only imagine what the natives thot of the area at that time but I would of loved to have seen it.......
8)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:35 pm

FYI... Yellowstone was actually the Indian name for the area because of course for the yellow stone there from the sulfers and such. I can imagine it being called a "Devil" something or other because your talking volcano but much more to see than that and it adds to the wonder. I took so many pictures there and some of the you would say it was another planet.

We when went, we stayed at Jackson Hole on a ranch just a few miles outside the main town. We did mostly snowmoblie tours (great fun but cold until the sun was out for a while), but also did a couple of sleigh rides where they bundle you up in nice warm blankets and take you for a ride in the snow. A meal or 2 where always included (Breakfast and Brunch) which included a nice steak cooked by our guide. We sat on top of the benches since they were covered by snow. Went swimming at a mountain on one of the trips to a backwoods (snowmobile) site in a hot springs... it was cold until you got into the water and then you got out and jumped into the snowbank and jumped back into the pool.... can ya say YEEHAW!!! On that trip we had snowmobiles that would hit 70mph and had some time to do just that. The only ones allowed in Yellowstone are 4 stroke "cadilacs"... heated seats, heated foot runners and hand grips, windshield the works, might get 45 on those LOL.

But if your looking for an adventure to go on for a vacation be it in the warm of summer of cold of winter that is a place to go at least once in your lifetime and bet you want to go back.

JUST DUST

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm

OMG I had false labor in Jackson Hole and told my hubby if I have a baby in a place named Jackson Hole I will not be happy. Fortunately the labor stopped and we made the rest of the trip to White Water Wisconson, and she was born in Fort Atkinson Wisconson (nearest hospital to where we lived)

We have been to Yellowstone with the kids as well and it is truely beautiful.

There is a place here in Washington that is a game reserve park, where you can drive through and see the animals, they come right up to the car/van and eat bread out of your hand. I have been licked by a buffalo and had a Moose put his head right in the van window and nuzzle me. My daughter in law who was driving was totally freaking out while I was simply enjoying what would most likely be a once in a life time experience. She said MOM I think that damn moose is in love with you and that might not be a good thing, LOL

Nature is truely wonderful and everyone should try to get out and enjoy it!!

I am woman I am strong