Someone is using my e-mail addy to send mass messages

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
mickodie
Big Poster

Someone is using my e-mail addy to send mass messages

Post by mickodie » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:50 pm

This is awful :( I am getting a mailbox full of couldn't send your message to peeps I never heard of. How can I stop it? Anyone had this problem before?
Have Fun, Play Fair, and Keep the Card Gods Happy!

Gray Goose
Grand Master

Post by Gray Goose » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:19 pm

New to me mick. Wow. Good luck, buddy.

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:08 am

Mic that is the newest virus out, go to http://www.mcafee.com or http://www.symantec.com for instructions on how to delete it.

Also, I would suggest you get a better virus protection software or update your dat files if you have one.

Good luck!!!
Last edited by wildfire_36 on Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my grandson, Cyan Stephon!!! His First B-day!!![img]

Nana3
Grand Master

Post by Nana3 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:09 am

Yes Mickodie I have got some of them too. not a mailbox full but more frequent some days than others and I do not know the ppl either that is says I am trying to send mail too.

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:12 am

Ladies check out this link:

http://tech.msn.com/ip/msnart1000.asp

May shed some light.

Nana3
Grand Master

Post by Nana3 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:18 am

I read it but I just had my computer redone and have got the email back 2 times in about 2 weeks now. but I don't have a virus, and I only have a very few ppl on my email now, and the ones I got back were to ppl in the UK and I don't know and have never heard of this person before.

I have Norton also and it runs every day, and updates every day, I have checked everything even run PC_Cilliam and it don't show anything,

wildfire_36
Grand Master

Post by wildfire_36 » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:25 am

Well unless you are running a mail server from your own computer and it is bouncing mail that people are trying to route thru you (they do this at my office all the time), then I have no clue.

I would think it is one of the two though. Mickodie's problem sounds more like the first one, and your's sounds like the second.

You can try locking down your firewall tighter (if you have one, if not get one) also.

That is about as far as my techie skills go. Just enough to be dangerous! LOL

LadyMo
Active Poster

Post by LadyMo » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:41 am

May I ask was it through MSN that you got those notices, mainly hotmail? I know that I have had people added to my list from e-mails that I recieved hasn't happened in a long time but was wondering if that maybe is what happened. Where you maybe replied to one?

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:19 pm

Thanks for all the input, it gives me a starting point. This is with my personal e-mail Lady Mo. I have been keeping up to date with my Norton anti-virus and windows updates. Will do some more checking. Sure is a pain in the tush.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:37 pm

I did a full scan of my system after downloading the latest updates and it didn't show anything, but I didn't get any returned mail today either. What do these people get out of doing this stuff? It must cost the economy millions. :cry:

Keellie
Active Poster

Post by Keellie » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:10 pm

Do you have an auto-reply on somewhere? That will generate a lot of emails back to you from unknown people. Because when you get an email, your auto reply sends them one back but of course those addys are always fake so you will an "unknown address" message back.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:23 pm

No auto reply keellie, but I do have a bounce back feature which is the suspect now that I have done all the updates and checks. Usually a undeliverable bounce back addy shows up right away. There might have been some in the system that showed up all at once giving me the scare. Cyber space is a wonderful thing, never know what ya gonna get. :?

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:56 pm

You may have some sort of spyware.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Try that software. It scans and eliminates spyware from your system.

mickodie
Big Poster

Post by mickodie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:55 pm

Thanks Justice, I downloaded the software and ran a system scan. The only thing I didn't recognize was neo planet. I didn't realize there is so much on a computer, 38 in all. Microsoft, intel, Norton, Hewlett Parkard and others. Do I want to delete their spyware?

Just_Ice
Grand Master

Post by Just_Ice » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:38 pm

Unless you're participating in a voluntary survey or your liscence to a particular software requires it, I wouldn't like it on my computer. But, large companies like HP, Intel, Norton are all looking for specific things and can usually be trusted. Microsoft? No comment ;) But, I don't think you'll get rid of MS no matter what you do.