Share your past 4th of July disasters..

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
HEXA
Grand Master

Share your past 4th of July disasters..

Post by HEXA » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:02 pm

My dad was always creating things.. Tinkering with stuff to make it "better"
lol He made what he thought was an awesome bottle rocket holder when i was 5.

After igniting the fuse.. The rocket took off and went right under my lawn-chair where i was sitting on the deck, it exploded beneath me. lol Besides a few small burns i was ok.. but scared to death of those rockets since.

That was the same year (1977) Omaha Nebraska had some terrible tornados on july 4th, and we were stuck in a closet with mattresses over us until 3 AM. With Dad Determined to set his fireworks off, we were celebrating and getting to see them finally at 3 am.

Unfortunately, I married a man with an urge to tinker as well.. I cannot count how many times he has caught the barn or pastures a blaze.. Good thing he is a fireman and has a truck handy every year.

Anytime he is in the garage building "something" The kids warn me.. MOM!! Dad is in the garage again and he has power tools going!!!! lol

(that didnt save my xmas tree from going through my roof 6 years ago when he decided to "build" a dimmer switch for 900 xmas lights on my tree. grrrrrrrrr)
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:50 am

Well the 4th of July has always been eventful for me, my dad was born on the 4th of July and 25 years later, so was I :)

I remember one year we were at my father in laws for the 4th, now my husband has 3 brothers and one sister, and they go all out for the 4th. They had tons of fireworks bought at the indian reservation and had them in a box under a card table in the driveway (he lived out in the country on 20 acres. Any way the men were all setting off fireworks and that and the kids were running around whooping and hollaring while us women stood and watched. Wellllllllllll a bottle rocket went astray and flew under the card table straight into the box of fireworks. Bottle rockets, and firecrackers and things that were supposed to go off way up in the sky were flying at ground level in every direction, there was so much smoke you could'nt see anyone or anything but smoke and colors from the fireworks. Women were yelling for thier kids and diving for cover at the same time.

Luckily no one got hurt and the show ended in a hurry later US women decided where the fireworks would be kept lol and this was about 20 years ago but is still the most told and most loved story of a 4th at dad's house lol.

Hope all had a FUN and SAFE 4th, I did spending it with family and friends this year :) I know my father in law is looking down from heaven watching one of his favorite holidays. :)

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:35 am

Let me say.. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

What a funny story! I bet it was scarey at the moment it happened, Im glad no one was hurt.

heheh thanks for sharing!

xox
Hexa

FrshVaBreeze
Big Poster

Post by FrshVaBreeze » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:54 am

My husband grew up in the projects in Goldsboro NC. Back in the late 60's early 70's when he would be 11-12 years old he had a friend who came across some type of bottle rocket. They were outside playing around and see this black guy walking away from them down the opposite side of the street and have this brilliant idea that it would be funny to try to shoot this bottle rocket at the poor fellow. Well... really? What are the odds that they could even hit him?

Sooo.. Keith aims this rocket at this guy walking on the opposite side of the street and it shoots off and makes this crazy beeline towards the guy. (I apologize, this story is 100% better if you could hear my husbands sound effects, not to mention the big grin he gets telling this story). So, it goes shooting across the street and much to the total amazment of the two boys goes directly into the guys big 70's style fro! The poor man is running all around and screaming (no serious harm done) with fireworks in his hair and of course you can just imagine these two boys who are totally stunned and beside themselves not knowing whether to watch, run or what the hell to do. The man escaped with some minor hair issues (you can only imagine his thoughts, poor guy walking down the street minding his own business) and the two boys lived to tell the story, laughing hysterically every time of course.

I always kid my husband that he was the Tom Sawyer of the 70's. He can tell the most incredible stories. Growing up poor in NC apparently leads to tremendous adventures!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:25 am

OMG roflmao! a flaming fro!!

gahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!

How funny.. gawd i hate to laugh cause the poor guy, But dang that is funny hon!

Thanks for sharing!

xox
Hexa

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:06 am

One year we were all down at my Aunt and Uncles for the 4th. They live on a huge farm and decided to set off some fireworks. Now my cousin thought bottle rockets were wimpy and was making his own with what I assume now were 1/4 sticks of dynamine LOL. So nothing would catch fire, they were firing them off in the direction over the pond. It was finally my cousins turn. He set up his bottle "rocket", lit the fuse and ran! It seemed to shoot straight up in the sky and was coming back down right into the pond...no big boom? well not for a few seconds then KABOOOM!!!!!. The thing had gone off just as it entered the pond.

Within minutes, all the fish began floating to the top of the pond. My cousin then ran again because my Uncle had just spent a ton of money stocking the pond to fish in...heheh.
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:42 am

omg! Ive seen fish float up to the top in movies and cartoons and died laughing.. But to have seen it happen in real life omg lol how funny!! roflmao!

Thank you for sharing!

xox
Hexa

Unicron
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Unicron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:44 am

Well....

Most every year Jonas has a BBQ at his house. This year was no differant. Good food, good fun, as always. Well last week Jonas had started experimenting with the whole diet coke/mentos phenomonan. We had a failing test run and had planned to refine the art at the BBQ.

The plan was to deposit all the mentos in 2 tinfoil pouches one after the other so we could get the top closed before it exploded. Well I was the bottle holder, and Jonas the depositer.

Needless to say Jonas was not fast enough with the cap and the soda exploded like a watergun on dynamite. I don't think he really intended to, but he inadvertatly aimed the bottle a little twords me as it was going off. I was sprayed at an incredible speed for about 5 seconds in the face. I stayed at my post though! Surely he was gonna get that cap on any minute.

Anywho the cap never came and I wore all the soda. All I can say is thank god it was diet!

Jason

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 pm

roflmao!!! Omg How funny!!! gahahahhahahhahhahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!

You know what, I have mentioned several times i wanted to try that diet coke-mentos thing (since lettermen) But you have kinda scared me into not trying it LOL!! I wondered how much time one had from the point it was dropped in.. and wondered how i could cap it or run really fast! LMAO! Thanks for the info!! I will definetly put one of the kids in charge of the duty!!

I bet that was a hoot to watch!!!! And you didnt give up and drop it!! lmao!!

roflmao!

xox
Hexa

Unicron
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Unicron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:10 pm

To answer your timing question, less than a second. You have to be FAST!

Jason

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:15 pm

lmao.. OH! My side hurts! I am still laughing.. Picturing you holding it as it spews and Jonas probably laughing to hard to cap it! OMG.. Ow.My side hurts!! gahahaha!

ROFL!

Thanks for the info!! I wont be holding it LOL!!

xox
Hexa

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:26 pm

These stories are wonderful, and I am laughing my butt off everytime I read another one. Educational too I didn't know about the diet coke and mento's thing so if one of my boys asks for mento's guess what the answer is gonna be lol.

I am woman I am strong

EzRider
Active Poster

Post by EzRider » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:23 am

put the 2 mentos in the cap, then put the cap on the bottle ;-)

if ya wanna know the caramilk secret, it'll cost extra.

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:25 am

Hark!!!! lol now why didnt we think of that LMAO!

ok..im feelin froggy.. what's caramilk?????

xox
Hexa

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:16 am

You know the fireworks that your supposed to put on the ground to light and never supposed to launch them in the air after lighting them............ ???

They are cool BUT they go where they want to after igniting, we thought we were safe being on the beach and could of course throw them way out over the water and MOST of them went the direction we hoped they would except when a few came right back at us.... the LADIES then took charge and told us adult males we couldn't do it anymore.... LOL

This 4th was extra special for me because I spent it where I grew up in the Niagara Falls and I wore my Navy cruise jacket, American Flag T-shirt, USA hat fore I have always been proud to be an American and to spend it with my family in a special place to me was a moment to remember. Remember those that died to make what we have here in the US what it is.

JUST DUST

PS - Happy 4th ALL
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!