Spammers

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
PurplePeril
Active Poster

Spammers

Post by PurplePeril » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:52 am

What is it with this sudden and extremely annoying influx of spammers??? I'm a member on about six forums and they've all been hit by them. One of the Admins on one site was telling me that she has to block about half a dozen IP addresses a day. :shock:

I guess some people have nothing better to do. :roll:
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Don't know where they are coming from but I try to notify ASAP one of the ones on the list using PM or other.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Yep, me too, I usually pm grandma with those pesky darn people. :wink: :wink:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:19 pm

I am removing them as fast as I can, I am off visiting family for the Thanksgiving Holiday but am popping onto their computer and removing them 2 and 3 times a day.

Have Patience please I will be home by Monday if the snow clears for me to go over the mountain...............

Ty for the PM's all

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

Nana3
Grand Master

Post by Nana3 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:33 pm

yep I wonder where they come from too. and would be good when they post if grandmas could ban them from the forum.

i send her at 2 every morning..

"When nothing is sure, everything is possible."
- Margaret Drabble

abcba123
Active Poster

Re: Spammers

Post by abcba123 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:46 pm

Does GrandmaS have the authority to block their ISP or is she just deleting the posts ?

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Only the office can remove them, but she is getting help notifying her when they appear, brb notifying again......

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:24 pm

I can remove the post but can not ban them from the discussion board, however when the office gets my reports then admin can ban them. Thats really all I can tell you, I get them off as fast as I can which makes it so you can have a cleaner board to look at and notify the office, but banning still waits until an admin comes in to do that.

I have worn out several wooden spoons on these boards this weekend :) and will continue to help keep the boards clean for all of us.

One last note here before I move on to the other threads, for anyone wondering I am home, it snowed in Everett today where my son lives and where we spent the Thanksgiving weekend, we left there and drove in snow over the mountain and to the house, yes we have snow here too :)
I am home safe and sound with my hubby and my two youngest boys, also had in tow with me my two Cavaliers and my VERY pregnant Shih Tzu who kind has waited for us to get home with out having puppies. We expect them around the 1st but since we are positive we were taking no chances :)

Hugs and Smiles

I am woman I am strong

spotthedog

Post by spotthedog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:44 am

The problem with banning a certain IP Address is that you ban the whole of the IP address, not just the person spamming, which will include all the innocents using the same IP.

For example, if my IP was banned it would take out a very large chunk of the UK.

Also, large commercial Spam Bots will change their IPs as often as I change my mind :wink:

XtesterX
Active Poster

Post by XtesterX » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:20 am

spamming...
even Hardwood does it...
recently I've been getting unwanted solicitations from SCE regarding the backgammon game in several of my email accounts...

I have never signed on to recieve 'newsletters' or 'offers'

I hope this does not happen again

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:49 am

Those normally only go to people who signed up for the news letters when they downloaded or bought one of the games.

Backgammon did go on sale for Thanksgiving weekend and a notice was sent out but you shouldn't have gotten too many.

If you were really that bothered by it you could email support@sivercrk.com and asked to be removed from any and all news letters :)

I am woman I am strong

PurplePeril
Active Poster

Post by PurplePeril » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:00 am

XtesterX wrote:spamming...
even Hardwood does it...
recently I've been getting unwanted solicitations from SCE regarding the backgammon game in several of my email accounts...

I have never signed on to recieve 'newsletters' or 'offers'

I hope this does not happen again
Now this isn't, strictly speaking, spam as you must have bought something from Silver Creek in order to have received it. It is, however, unsolicited mail ... a subtle difference.

I doubt that Silver Creek would have the time nor the inclination to send out thousands of spam e-mails and/or links in the same way that die-hard spammers do.

But that's just my opinion, of course. ;)
Jules aka Lady Jules in Hearts, TheWeakestLink in Spades, Mistress Gobalot in Euchre (how apt, I hear you cry! :lol: ) and JacquetJules in Backgammon)

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:41 am

I can switch IP addys like you change socks, so it hard to ban by address

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:51 pm

If your behind a NAT or Proxy your IP isn't your IP and yes you can make yourself appear to be coming from anywhere, lots of stuff out there. User ID, product keys, PC fingerprint to name a few are someone ways to ID but those can also be defeated. So in a real since it is difficult to eliminate spam or unwanted users in an open forum.

JUST DUST

got_bannned

Post by got_bannned » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:43 am

On the msn groups I belong to most have the forum locked and the user requesting permission to post must be accepted. Would this be an option here and Im sure it would save alot of time