Q for Sandbar?

Stuff that isn't specific to the other categories
Tater
Active Poster

Q for Sandbar?

Post by Tater » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:19 am

Can you please translate this into American?

Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"

Down come a jumbuck to drink at the water hole
Up jumped a swagman and grabbed him in glee
And he sang as he stowed him away in his tucker bag
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'".

Up rode the Squatter a riding his thoroughbred
Up rode the Trooper - one, two, three
"Where's that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me".

But the swagman he up and jumped in the water hole
Drowning himself by the Coolabah tree,
And his ghost may be heard as it sings in the Billabong,
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Hmmmmmm I shall try lololol :wink:

There once was this swagman (an australian tramp, called swagman because of the chaff (wheat) bag containing his billy, provisions and blanket who went walkabout (walking a loooong way) looking for a job, he put his swag on his back, (swag= blanket, billycan (for tea of course)and a change of undies, cause he was a clean swagman) :wink:
He trudged for miles along that dirt road and was hungry and thirsty, so, when he came upon a billabong (branch of a river that comes to dead end, but with some water in it), he made a fire under the shade of the Coolabah tree, (just another aussie gum or eucalyptus tree)
To take his mind off his hunger he sang while waiting for the billy to boil, (billycan= open top tin can to hold water with handle made of wire into which tea was thrown) "who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me" - a man's swag was regarded as kind of a de facto wife who accompanied the wanderer.
HeHeHe! Down came a jumbuck (a sheep) to drink at the waterhole, sooooo the swagman grabbed him to take on his journey and stuffed him
into his tucker (food) bag.
Up rode the Squatter (grazier or station owner)( but in later years squatter meant a person who occupied a property illegally.)
So the poor old sod of a swagman didn't want to be caught so he jumped into the waterhole and drowned, and his ghost still calls "Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:17 pm

So if I get this, A tramp, Hobo, homeless guy, stops by a stream, boiling tea, a lamb comes by, the guy is thinking Leg of lamb. ( has to be a lamb or he would need a lawn and leaf bag for a tucker) And he gets caught so he jumps in a dead end stream, and dies, rather than return the Lamb to the land owner? I would ask why but wrong topic. :lol:

Last edited by Tater on Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Oh OH OH forgot, who is Matilda?

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:51 pm

In some places, not sure about Austrailia, but I know in Iceland, if you stole or killed in some way (ran over with your car while they were crossing the road etc.) you had to pay for the sheep, lamb etc. plus all the off spring it would have produced and all the offspring they would have produced. all the wool they would have produced. And or go to jail for life :), so to this hobo escape might have seemed the better choice, drowning was most likely an accident in the attempt to escape :)

I live in the USA always have but this was a popular song for grade school kids to learn and sing, at school. Thankfully most of us didnt know how sad a story it was.

Like Ring around the Rosey that most children learn and sing the meaning of the words to that song are very sad. But kids don't know it and it just seems like a cute little game.

I am woman I am strong

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:43 pm

WALTZING MATILDA The act of carrying the ‘swag’ (an alternate colloquial term is ‘humping the bluey’).

Matilda is an old Teutonic female name meaning ‘mighty battle maid’. This may have informed the use of ‘Matilda’ as a slang term to mean a de facto wife who accompanied a wanderer. In the Australian bush a man’s swag was regarded as a kind of de facto wife, hence his ‘Matilda’

In those days it was considered a real crime so instead of being hanged for stealing a sheep, the swagman took the alternative route. :(

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:09 pm

I think it's funny how some things get crossed in translation

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:10 am

Got to love it, look at some of the old stories we hear with strange verses and how they reference a time before. Even common ones like "London Bridge" or the "Jack be Nimble" and how there creation differs from our perception. I also like to read how different countries celebrate or traditionalize Christmas and other holidays that they may have in comparision to ours. Very interesting how some common things like a handshake is perceived also and laws that are inforced.

One thing we always had to do when overseas was to go to a class to learn about cultural differences when we were on shoreleave so we didn't end out in a situation where they had to get us out of the pokey/jail. I did learn a lot about many countries I had the opportunity to visit even though it was on offical bus. in the military.

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:15 pm

I agree Duster, I just moved to upstate NY and being from the south I have to consider the cultrel differences, for example, I went to a local eatery and needed to use the restroom, there was a large sign stating "EMPLOYEES MUST WASH HANDS", So I waited 20-25 minutes, and when no employee came I did it myself. But the point is I tried.

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:59 pm

:D :D :D Awww Tater, I love you to death, you always bring a smile to my dial, huggs Sandy

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:54 pm

Your supposed to push the "call button" to get them to wash your hands......

LOL

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Candy911
Guide

Post by Candy911 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:51 pm

I AM JUST GLAD I HAVE MY BOOTS ON! So, I don't drown :lol:

WIST
Grand Master

Post by WIST » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:03 am

Tater wrote: "EMPLOYEES MUST WASH HANDS
Does this mean, in a round about way Tater, that employees in the south aren't required to perform this type of hygiene? I would appreciate a timely response as a move to the south may be in my future and this could certainly impact my decision. Also, are you able to tell me at what point/area/state this might come into effect? for instance, how far south can i go before handwashing is no longer mandatory? :lol:

BTW, i've heard that Matilda song all my life (manyyyyyy years) and never had a clue what it meant so thx Sandy !
for what it's worth

Tater
Active Poster

Post by Tater » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:38 am

In the south we are taught not to ___ on our hands. :wink:

sandbar
Guide

Post by sandbar » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Ummmmmmmm, nooooooooooooo, i better not reply to this one, tater :D