Playing the lower die only

Because Hardwood Backgammon allows it, is it OK to play the lower of two numbers on your die if it results in your not being able to play the higher number?

No, never. that's cheating.
67%
Yes, but only in an unrated game.
No votes
Yes, against an opponent that has done it first.
No votes
Yes, all is fair in love and war and backgammon.
28%
Who cares! it's only a game.
No votes
I don't understand the rule.
6%

Total votes: 18

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Tue May 15, 2007 2:03 am

Someone else will undoubtedly clarify this but...

You need to click to the "CHECK VERSION" option. When you first open backgammon, I believe it's under "HELP" or "ABOUT". Whichever it is, I'm sure you'll find it with little delay.

Like you, I could have sworn I replied "yes" to a similar similar prompt. I don't know why you are on build 22 if it was only a few weeks ago. My advice for you is to go make a pot of coffee while you download it again.
Keith :-P
aka, Tavli Man

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Wed May 16, 2007 12:22 pm

go to the main menu of the game and do the following:

help->check for updates

spotthedog

Post by spotthedog » Tue May 22, 2007 12:23 am

^^^^^ Thank you ...I got it (Build 28 ) ..... it took about 3 seconds to download the patch
<help>
<Check Version>

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:31 am

Jonas wrote:@ wanderer

Could you give me the situation where the online game was still allowing an inappropriate play. It should already be fixed.
I have noticed another situation where the playing of the higher numbered dice is not enforced in build 28. If you need to bring a piece in off the bar, the game will allow you to bring the piece in with the lower die even when it results in the higher die becoming unplayable. It's rare but it does happen.
aka, Tavli Man

Wanderer
Active Poster

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:32 am

Manny wrote:This issue has been addressed by the recent update.
The programmers need to go back to the drawing board on this. There are still many situations where the die with the lower number may be played which result in the higher number becoming unplayable.
aka, Tavli Man

Becky2555
Guide

Guilt by Innocense

Post by Becky2555 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:55 pm

:roll:

If the game allows it, I'm a guilty party I'm sure. As a kid, I played versions of Backgammon but never the actual game itself.

I started playing here (some 25-30 years later), during the trial/testing times and have frequented games here ever since.

Today, in the BG lobby someone suggested that someone else needed to visit this thread. Being curious, I clicked on the link myself.

As many games as I have played here, this was the first anyone had mentioned this "rule", though I know I've broken it. Therefore, it's possible I'm on the "do not play list" of some, while not even knowing it.

Maybe a good idea would be:

Before you make your first click, to commit to finishing the game... mention your concern for this rule and make sure #1 that your opponent understands it and #2 that you both agree. I for one, would agree if I knew and it would put a new twist on the game for me (me who has never been officially trained and has never had desire to read the book).

Thanks SCE for the games, as I enjoy each of them. 8)

Becky2555

cutecub00

Re: Playing the lower die only

Post by cutecub00 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:59 am

Its amazing to me how many versions of varrious games there are, depending on how and where you learned to play, what part of the country or even what country your from etc.....
Gin rummy

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Re: Playing the lower die only

Post by Dust In The Wind » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:47 am

Goes by the rule... "MY House, MY rules"

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!