sloooooooow game problems

ladybug
Active Poster

sloooooooow game problems

Post by ladybug » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:13 pm

i bought backgammon a long time ago, but have changed computers and had forgotten about the game until just recently. i downloaded the newest version, got my unlock code resent to me and started it up. man something is terrible wrong. it is so slow it is unplayable. it is like moving at slower than a snails pace. i don't have vista, so that can't be the problem. please help. i never had these problems when i played it long ago. i have intel core duo processor, i am running virus program, but i have no problems with my other hardwood games with that, so that can't be the problem. any suggestions, welcome.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:30 am

Well the 1st thing that comes to mind is to make sure you have the latest video drivers for your computer.

Your video chip (GPU) is likely to be Nvidia, ATI, or Intel. Once you figure that out, go to their website, and download the latest video driver for your computer.

heres some links to those sites:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Alternatively, you can turn off the "enhanced mode" in the game, and it will not use advanced video features. to do so do the following:
Start Backgammon
Click on the "x" in the top right of blue box
Pick options in the menu
then pick graphics
Now check off "enhanced mode" and click "okay"

You can also see on that last screen the video type you have "nvidia" etc. So that would clue you in to what site above would be the one to get drivers from.

Also, if its a prebuilt system, you can probably call tech support and they should be able to guide you through the process for getting up to date drivers.

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 am

you can also try playing around with some of the other options in the graphics options box like going full screen at a lower resolution.

ladybug
Active Poster

Post by ladybug » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:49 pm

it is a brand new computer. newest technology, so latest driver is not the problem. i have no problems whatsoever with spades, solitaire or hearts. why would it be a problem with just backgammon.?? i am on cable modem, so connection is never a problem . fast as lightening. i play all the other games on internet with no problems at all. any other ideas? before i had this computer the game played beautifully, but then so did the other hardwood games. now they do, but this one doesn't. i am perplexed. anytime i start the game, nothing else is going but anti virus. i don't let anything run like instant messenger. i feel like i am hitting a brick wall and it is running down like molasses, soooooo sloooooow.
ladybug

ladybug
Active Poster

Post by ladybug » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 pm

just turning off the enhanced mode worked beautifully.
thanks
ladybug

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:02 pm

Great, glad its working.

Note: Historically for myself, new computers often have less that optimal video drivers. The reason being is that often times they have early release drivers, and its often a good idea to make sure you have the manufactures current drivers instead of the shipped ones. Anyhow, something to keep in mind :)

RiverBelle
Active Poster

Post by RiverBelle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:22 am

Thanks for the answer Jonas! I always wondered why BG was the only slow game. I forgot that I had it in enhanced mode - that must be why Spades & Hearts are so quick. :)

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

Yeah, enhanced mode is better, but only when the Video card supports it. Usually we can detect that its not going to work, but some things look like they should, but turn out real slow.

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 pm

I bought a brand new computer about 2 months ago and the video card was less than desirable for this kind of stuff although sufficient for other things....I just replaced it.