Changes?...

omni_555
Grand Master

Changes?...

Post by omni_555 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:13 am

I have been away from the forums for a while now, and so I may have missed some discussion on this topic, if any has taken place...

Just logged in tonite to play a few games of Hearts, and noticed that in Smoots I could no longer set a no-shoot game. Seems that THAT option has been shipped off to another room. :cry:

Maybe this is not a high priority for many other players, but I generally like playing no-shoot games (usually a little more relaxing, not requiring quite so much of my declining mental prowess...). Sure, I can go to Wizards (I think that is where the no-shoot games are now), but there are relatively few players there, and it is rather difficult and takes a long time to get a game going, especially late at nite. In Smoots, if I wanted a no-shoot game and there wasn't one readily available, I would MAKE one. Rarely did it take more than a few minutes for the table to fill and the game to start.

I dunno if this is a permanent change by HW or just something experimental being tried, or even if most players have a preference different from mine. It would be nice to hear what other people's feelings on this topic are, tho. 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Re: Changes?...

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 am

It was one of those things that was going to have to happen because of the room capacity and the number of players now playing. So how do you make a split? Do you split pards from singles? Do you split Reg. hearts from spot? Do you split No shoot from Shoot?

1) If you split pards from singles - lot of players have a reg pard and if they are not there or waiting on them they play singles
2) If you split reg. hearts from spot, you don't have as many playing reg as spot and probally not enough of a split to avoid having to split again later
3) If you split No Shoot from shoot and if you look at the history of the 2 together it creates conflict all the time by one saying the other isn't hearts. You also find most players that play No shoot, play just no shoot and most players that play shoot play shoot.

Yes there are many that like to play all variations of the game, I for one and will play any of them depending on my mood that day. BUT what better way to more or less split the room in half than splitting No shoot with Shoot??? It will be a long time before another split will be needed, because it will just about divide the game rooms into 2.

That is how I see it and it makes sense. You also take two diverse groups and ways of thinking to the game and put them in seperate rooms..... aaaaahhhh Harmony, LOL. I'll spend time in both rooms, some days I don't feel like getting the gun out.

JUST DUST

PS - I think it will work fine, yes it will be a pain for some, but pain in some form or another was going to happen. lets see how this works out. Look at spades and how many different rooms they have and they are almost sane over there..... not saying that hearts players are ANY saner.
Last edited by Dust In The Wind on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

omni_555
Grand Master

Post by omni_555 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:51 am

'K Dust... I'll wait and see what happens. But from what I have seen SO far, a very SMALL group of players are utilizing the "no shoot room". My guess is that while there is a small group of people who play no-shoot almost exclusively, most no-shoot players play BOTH variations, and given the choice will likely stay in the more familiar Smoots... 8)
Playing games should be FUN - seek out your own level! Don't frustrate others unnecessarily. 8)

Lace
Grand Master

Post by Lace » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:05 am

It's been less than 24 hours since the change. Give it time for everyone to get use to it. It already seems to be working out well for most. Everyone can now get into the lobby of their choice and the server can now take a break from constantly having to repeat "This room has reached the maximum number of games, please try another room"........

(the only ones who enjoy the word "change" is an infant)
Image Remember those you step on while trying to climb that ladder are those you will need to pass again when you fall back down!

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:36 pm

/me OGRE leaves for another room.........

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 pm

The hearts players ROCK!!!

I have been guiding in Wizards with the no shoot players, and they still have the option of setting shoot in there too, this takes care of players that want to come in and play with friends, or players that play both like myself ( I am also a no shoot player for the most part when I play singles) . Most are really trying to give this a fair shake. The majority of the complaints I've heard have been from the same 4/5 people. You are 2 clicks away from Smoots. I know it's gonna take some getting used to, but I do think that this can be a wonderful little community for us as no shoot players. You have the same people playing no shoot as there always was, there is just not the congestion in there that there was in Smoots. Each room can only set 65 games without players having to wait to set...they get the server message basically saying that the games are maxed out. We can also hold in smoots only 300 people. We had 18 in gnomes the other night that couldnt' get into Smoots Cavern. We have been getting the "game" message regularly for about 2/3 weeks.

Anytime you experience growth like that, you will never make everyone happy, but I do feel most of the players are adapting to the new room well and having a good time. Major complaint I've heard??? Having to wait a few minutes longer to have a game fill, but that could be solved by people joining instead of setting. My observations from the lobby are that while there are game sets available, some will set another game instead of joining one all ready set. I do understand that some want the advantages that go along with hosting. We all know that waiting 2 minutes seems like an eternity when you are waiting for a disconnected player to be kicked or return from that state. I have waited over 10 minutes in Smoots for a shoot pard game to get filled myself and longer than that for a no shoot pard game BEFORE THE SPLIT, so it's really not that different for me in that regard. Later hours or early for international players may take a little longer too, but as we grow more it will get better :)

I've had many mention they wished it had been a singles/pard split...the numbers for pards were not enough to have made the difference that the separation of shoot/no shoot has in availability of space and room sets, plus the fact that Wizards WAS a room intended for pards, said it on the room description and no one ever used it. We had this all along and it wasn't utilized, for at least 3 years that I know about.

I appreciate the patience of the players and their willingness to think positively and try to enjoy the new room. i have had very little conflict in there in the past 2 days and for that I thank our wonderful players. :D

traceyr
Active Poster

Post by traceyr » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:05 am

It was a surprise to find a No Shoot room but I really like it now. When I went in there an hour ago, there were actually more people in there than Smoots - 66 to 55 or something like that.

I always play Play To Win, no shoot games and always say so right at the start. Before, you'd still get people who whined about P&P (separate issue there) and the like, even though they'd been warned about the type of game it was - you know the type.

In the new room - ALL games so far have been really good, competitive and whiner free! Like we're on a similar wavelength from the start. I'm not suggesting shoot players are necessarily whiners :) but it's been a noticeable change, so I'm happy!

buck910721
Noob

Post by buck910721 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:14 pm

were getting bigger all the time go ask alice. and it seems to me that there's less but there is really more fun seems the playas are nicer now

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:08 pm

I can attest to the change in mood as well....I have done VERY few actions in that lobby. The games I have been called to have been for language or stalling primarily, not disagreements on playstyle.

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:05 am

LOL, The whiners are still out there. But now that people are getting used to 2 rooms it's working better. But I still want to see Calculated Risk play a game with her nick and 1704 rateing. :D

CalculatedRisk
Guide

Post by CalculatedRisk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:47 pm

LOL, you know I retired that nic!!! hehhehe took me 5 years to get there and I won't be turning loose of that one, I'll be glad to play on others, though. One reason I don't play on my guide nic is that it never fails that I have to leave the game so I just pretty much said ENUFF, since I show quits and adjustments when that happens just like any other player would if they left the game, there is no leeway because it's a blue nic, the server reads a quit or incomplete all the same.

I know it's no utopia but I also know what I have done and haven't done and I'm PROUDER of the actions I haven't had to do. If you get bad language etc...in a game call me and I'll come running! :D

traceyr
Active Poster

Post by traceyr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 pm

U.S. Marshall wrote:LOL, The whiners are still out there.
Yeah, I have had a couple now. But they were more clueless than offensive, so I guess that's an improvement. :lol: Definitely in the minority still, though.

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:23 pm

Geesh, i have to come to the Hearts forum just to see Omni, these days. It's good to see you.

and to stay on topic.. Question.. If the game is set for "no shoot", does that mean it only hinders the player who collects all the hearts & Q? And they shouldnt do that?

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:04 pm

It doesn't STOP you from taking them ALL but if you do it costs you all the points rather than in a SHOOT game where you up everyone else by those points or take a safety shoot to lower yours.

So in no shoot don't take all the points it WILL HURT!!!

On a side NOTE: you also do not have to worry about someone ELSE taking all the points by taking at least the 2 of Hearts to stop their shoot. It WON"T cost you.

JUST DUST

HEXA
Grand Master

Post by HEXA » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:41 am

Ahh! Okay, Thank you :wink:

xox
Hexa
The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.