Two of clubs

Siemens Sl45
Active Poster

Two of clubs

Post by Siemens Sl45 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Why is it that the 2 of clubs is the card that has to be playeed 1st ? Has this always been the rule or not ? I think it would be better if we could lead a high card to dispose of them when we want.

And also why cant we give someone a point card on the first lead anyway ? After all this is OUR game lol. (We pay for it) :lol:
Men are superior to all, no exceptions

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Re: Two of clubs

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 pm

It part of the HEARTS rules or the game and nothing to do with the site.

2 of Clubs starts the hand
point card CANNOT be played on first trick

Yep rules can be changed but then it's NOT Hearts anymore.... maybe Straeh

JUST DUST

PS - sorry Straeh would be reserved already for REVERSE HEARTS
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Joe Andrews
Active Poster

Post by Joe Andrews » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Here is the answer to your question.

The deuce of clubs (first lead) was added to the game in the mid 1930's. "No dumping on the first trick" also came in at the same time, in order to prevent a player from receiving high clubs, and then getting blasted!

The original opening lead was to the left of the dealer, and this is still is popular with some groups to this day.

Other variations include the leading of hearts before that suit is "broken", and the spade Queen not counting as a point card.

One change I have always campaigned for is the elimination of the "Hold" or "Keeper" hand (every 4th deal.) Passing is part of Hearts. The "Hold" hand often screws a player who is dealt bad hearts or a shorthanded spade Queen!

Carry on!

- Joe Andrews

Author of "The Complete Win At Hearts"
(originally published in 1983, and has sold more than 100,000 copies!) :)

HydraMax

Post by HydraMax » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Dust In The Wind wrote:It part of the HEARTS rules or the game and nothing to do with the site.
Starting off with the 2 of clubs has everything to do with this site. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Surprising then since even the Hearts version you have on MS is also "Start with 2 of clubs". Hvaen't seen the games start any other way and wasn't around in the "mid 1930's" when there may have been a different version. As a matter of fact have never played a game at ANY site that didn't start that way for hearts.

JUST DUST

PS - So not sure what the implication is there, since it doesn't make sense, maybe you could explain???
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 pm

EVEN I wasn't around in the 1930's .......................

I am woman I am strong

U.S. Marshall
Active Poster

Post by U.S. Marshall » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:53 pm

LOL