Broken ranking system

Feel free to post about our xbox 360 games
ejfuller

Broken ranking system

Post by ejfuller » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:55 am

The ranking system on Hardwood Spades seems to have changed several times since the game was released. When it first came out, there was no penalty for quitting. Lots of people would play a game until the last hand and then quit if they were losing with no penalty. The people remaining in the game would not get credit for winning or losing, which obviously ruined the game for everyone else. Lots of people complained about this and eventually the ranking policy changed to penalize quitters. Once the policy changed, anyone that quit the game had their rating adjusted as if they lost and the remaining players had their ratings adjusted based on whether they won or lost. This was also around the same time that Hardwood Spades had some stability issues which caused the game to freeze sometimes. I personally was pleased that quitters were penalized, although I also had the misfortune of having my game freeze and having that count as a loss. I've just recently started playing Hardwood Spades online after an 18 month break, and noticed that there is no longer a penalty for quitting again. Needless to say, this is very annoying and will probably cause me to play Hardwood Spades only on my PC, since the PC version penalizes quitters, allows you to kick/ban losers, and allows you to rejoin a game if you accidentally get disconnected due to a crash or network problem. I prefer playing on Xbox Live since I can talk to people and because the game is more social there, but all of the quitters and the broken ranking system are driving me to the PC version.

Is there going to be a patch to fix these issues? If so, is the rating system going to be "fixed" so that it works the same way as the PC version? At the very least, quitters need to be penalized, people who remain in the game should be able to get credit for winning/losing, you should be able to vote/kick someone out of a game, and vote to abandon a game. It would be even better if other players, and specifically someone that was in the game but got disconnected, could join a ranked game that was already in progress that lost a player, since the PC version has offered this functionality for years.

Is there any chance that Hardwood Spades is going to be fixed or is Silver Creek done with updates for this game?
froinlaven15 on Xbox Live

Gromph
Site Admin

Re: Broken ranking system

Post by Gromph » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:29 am

Hi, quitters should still be getting penalized, it hasn't changed.

ejfuller

Post by ejfuller » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 am

What about the people who are left in the game after someone quits? Penalizing quitters is one thing, but if winning the game doesn't count for anything, everyone else, in particular the winning team, is being penalized too.

Gromph
Site Admin

Post by Gromph » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:37 pm

It will still count for everyone. Quitters are simply ranked as if they were in last place.

ejfuller

Post by ejfuller » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:29 pm

That's not true. I player in several games just yesterday and had someone from the opposing team quit in three games in a row. One quit during the second hand, one quit in the middle of the game and another quit halfway through the last hand. In all three cases, my rank remained unchanged. My partner's rank didn't change either, and her rank was low enough (about 35000) that any victory should have caused it to increase. We then beat two people who were ranked low (true skill ranks below 7) and both of our ratings went up. We definitely didn't get credit for the victory even though we were winning when the other player quit and we eventually won all three games where another player quit.

This doesn't happen on the PC version of the game, but it's definitely an issue on the Xbox 360 version.

THETRUECAMEL
Noob

Post by THETRUECAMEL » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:49 am

ejfuller wrote:That's not true. I player in several games just yesterday and had someone from the opposing team quit in three games in a row. One quit during the second hand, one quit in the middle of the game and another quit halfway through the last hand. In all three cases, my rank remained unchanged. My partner's rank didn't change either, and her rank was low enough (about 35000) that any victory should have caused it to increase. We then beat two people who were ranked low (true skill ranks below 7) and both of our ratings went up. We definitely didn't get credit for the victory even though we were winning when the other player quit and we eventually won all three games where another player quit.

This doesn't happen on the PC version of the game, but it's definitely an issue on the Xbox 360 version.
this is a known cheat in all of Silver's games on xbox..loser quits;the game settings change to a players match(not a ranked match anymore;for the winning team(player).the quitter loses nothing(as this would hurt someone if they lost conntion to the game server(without doing it themselves)
peeps who don't won't to lose their rank (on the last hand;use QUIT)and IF you do lose rank it's nothing compared to the rank you would lose by lossing the game itself.

THETRUECAMEL
Noob

Post by THETRUECAMEL » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:56 am

ejfuller wrote:The ranking system on Hardwood Spades seems to have changed several times since the game was released. When it first came out, there was no penalty for quitting. Lots of people would play a game until the last hand and then quit if they were losing with no penalty. The people remaining in the game would not get credit for winning or losing, which obviously ruined the game for everyone else. Lots of people complained about this and eventually the ranking policy changed to penalize quitters. Once the policy changed, anyone that quit the game had their rating adjusted as if they lost and the remaining players had their ratings adjusted based on whether they won or lost. This was also around the same time that Hardwood Spades had some stability issues which caused the game to freeze sometimes. I personally was pleased that quitters were penalized, although I also had the misfortune of having my game freeze and having that count as a loss. I've just recently started playing Hardwood Spades online after an 18 month break, and noticed that there is no longer a penalty for quitting again. Needless to say, this is very annoying and will probably cause me to play Hardwood Spades only on my PC, since the PC version penalizes quitters, allows you to kick/ban losers, and allows you to rejoin a game if you accidentally get disconnected due to a crash or network problem. I prefer playing on Xbox Live since I can talk to people and because the game is more social there, but all of the quitters and the broken ranking system are driving me to the PC version.

Is there going to be a patch to fix these issues? If so, is the rating system going to be "fixed" so that it works the same way as the PC version? At the very least, quitters need to be penalized, people who remain in the game should be able to get credit for winning/losing, you should be able to vote/kick someone out of a game, and vote to abandon a game. It would be even better if other players, and specifically someone that was in the game but got disconnected, could join a ranked game that was already in progress that lost a player, since the PC version has offered this functionality for years.

Is there any chance that Hardwood Spades is going to be fixed or is Silver Creek done with updates for this game?
you can believe all that if you want;if there is/was a quit penality then why are people still doing it TODAY(lets' say there really is it must be lower then losing to someone)there no need to vote someone out of a room;it should be up to the host to have this option being the host sets all the rules of play for that room(being able to pass cards on a nil bid;playing to 350-1500,etc.)

THETRUECAMEL
Noob

Post by THETRUECAMEL » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 am

gee;these forums are just dead.the MODS don't reply or anyone else for that matter.sept of 09 give or take since last posting.some issues dating back to 2006 with NO REPLY from Mods. :evil:

grandmaS
Grand Master

Post by grandmaS » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 am

Some things are being worked on but have no solid anwers yet. Sorry

I am woman I am strong

THETRUECAMEL
Noob

Post by THETRUECAMEL » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 am

grandmaS wrote:Some things are being worked on but have no solid anwers yet. Sorry
4 yrs. to work on something;we ain't trying to create a motor capable of light speed here.
5 yrs. or so this games been out;people complaining about the rank boosting;from day one...
now just a simple host option to be added allowing host to kick unwanted players from a game

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:01 pm

The way it works on the xbox is dictated by the nature of the ranking system of live. Its been a while, but the way I recall, we are just to say where or not a player is disconnected, and the TrueSkill rating system makes decisions on what do with that info.