Hearts J 9 7
Diamonds xx
Clubs A x x

What is your bid and why?

SSstar
Active Poster

Re: Last Hand Bid Puzzle

Post by SSstar » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 pm

3. Queen of spades, Ace of clubs and spank one diamond.

gtbanuh

Post by gtbanuh » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:15 pm

I do not agree with 3. Why 3?

Sailing_Away
Guide

Post by Sailing_Away » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:57 am

I can see three if you are bag-averse. Being short suited in diamonds and clubs I figure I could get one more without any trouble, so my answer is 4.

Of course, I've played people who told me I should bid nil always no matter what i have LOL.
-Brian

"Come Sail Away with me...."

gtbanuh

Post by gtbanuh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:07 am

The logic to your bid determines how you play the hand. So...what are the reasons for your bid?

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:48 pm

The bid is opp. 6, your pard 1 which leaves 6 outstanding. Both teams are bag tight 2 puts you and or them over -100

If they get their bid game over 538 to whatever, even if you bid 6 or 7 you cannot capture the win unless you set them so bagging them out
or setting them is the logic (they also know this and feel they bid their hands NOT to take bags)

if you say you have 4 and pard 1 that leaves 2 to make your bid and win at 508 if you can give them the 2 bags, considering my pards
bid I would think they are thinking the same

So I bid 4 knowing that I have at least 1 spade and most likely 2 spade tricks, I can make the A and figure they are going to try to give the
bags to us but can throw off my A if need be on a diamond trick. The object is going to be to give them 2 bags even at the expense of a set
If we get our 5 total (and no bags) we win at 508, if we don't we are at 408 (458 - 50) and they are at 441 (478 + 63 = 541 - 100).

It also depends on my pards bid if their intentions are the same (which I would expect) we are also in a position depending on card play to set
the opp. to 418 take 5 and bags of 3 to 401 and in an even better position to bag them out on the next hand for a win

Of course that is just my opinion...

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

babar
Noob

Post by babar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:26 am

3 is my bid...not easy to get 6 or 7 bid here and i don't think with these cards i can set good opp.. and my p bid 1 too.. bidding 4 will put us in very tight situation and still focus is on bagging opp....my 3 bid...no chance to get set..ill give opp lead and try to get my bid very late...only problem is in hrts...even if i get one in hrts....holding all these exit cards...why not i give my team some extra time to give opp 2 bags and win last hand n game with bonus...just my opinion

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi all. Been awhile.

From a technnical standpoint, the only bids to really consider here (independent of cards) are Nil, 4, and 7.

Nil and 7 clearly are out so, even though I hate having to play a perfect hand to win a game, it seems like the only choice here.

Considerations are:

What does my pard's 1 bid mean? Does he have a busted Nil, a true one bid, or a flexible 2 bid and is leaving room to bag or set depending upon my bid. A busted Nil doesn't seem too likely given the other bids.

A critical consideration not mentioned is where does the opps' strength lie? In this case it is to my right which increases the strength of my hand.

If I was to bid 3 here, chances are that we would take at least 1 bag even if we bagged the opps. That would leave us ahead 499 to 440, which is still a likely losing position.

I always say don't play scared, and bidding 4 here will win more games from this position than any other bid.

This is assuming, of course, that the opps don't really have -478... lol. If they do, I'd bid 3 or even 2.

Dust In The Wind
Guide

Post by Dust In The Wind » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Welcome back Galt, been a while indeed... same logic I had and yes I did read your book

JUST DUST
TO BE OR NOT TO BE..... NOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT??? TO BE OF COURSE!!!!!

Galt
Grand Master

Post by Galt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks Dust, and nice to see you.

Openshut
Active Poster

Post by Openshut » Sun May 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Only one bid here and it is 3. Problem is that you cannot depend on anyone for certain thus uncertainty is your only friend. Your partner bidding one implies they have little help to offer you while your hand does posses some strength. this mean tactically your hand can be dangerous if the opponents become over confident. This is why giving up on winning the situation is the best way to in fact get the best result.