Slow responses!

elusiveconcordance
Noob

Slow responses!

Post by elusiveconcordance » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:14 am

I've been collecting a number of experiences that I'd like to share with you for possible remediation in a future release. They stem mostly from use of the mouse. I've experienced these issues on multiple machines of varying clock speeds and mouse devices. It seems to be a consistent experience.

In summary:

Lost mouse clicks - a click with no response from Dangerous Mines
Slow mouse response - clicks that burn time with a delayed response
Delayed sound - goes with above
Highlighted blocks - when you click on an adjacent number where you KNOW there is a jewel, it highlights the block only AND when you repeat the mouse click, the block disappears and reveals a jewel.

My systems are all Macintosh G4 computers with Apple mice, Kensington Mice, Wacom Mice, and the laptops have trackpads too.

In each case I've set the mouse click control to faster and slower settings trying to find a happy medium. I leave it on the fastest setting.

When playing I also disable the sound in hopes of speeding up the program. That doesn't help and I miss the sound!

Also, I make sure that there aren't other programs running so the CPU is clear to run full blast.

None of this helps.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jonas
Illuminated One
Illuminated One

Post by Jonas » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:49 am

hrmm that does sound like it's running a bit pokey on those machines. It SHOULD work fine. Sounds like we need to take a peek at that.

In the mean time, one thing that can have a spustanial impact on preformance is wether or not the game is in "enhanced mode" or not. If you go to the options box, try toggleing that mode off or on and see how that inpacts the play.

Let me know if either mode speeds the game up.

elusiveconcordance
Noob

responsiveness....

Post by elusiveconcordance » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:20 pm

Well.....it seems a wee bit faster but not significantly so.

Maybe another hint would be that when the game is over and you want to start a new game by clicking the button on the top left of the window, sometimes it displays the "select game by number" option when indeed all I want to do is just start another game. It's is as if I right-clicked the button when I did not. This is very repeatable.

Another behavior that I've seen is that when playing as fast as I can, I get flags appearing on squares that I know I didn't want. I attribute that to the mouse acceleration setting and you can keep it under control by reducing acceleration....but when you are flying fast, there are many flags being set in the wrong place!
The software box said "Intel Pentium 4 or better required" so I bought a Mac.

Manny
Active Poster

Post by Manny » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:09 pm

Lost mouse clicks May be from lifting the mouse in a different square, particularly on the larger layouts.

Slow mouse response It's possible this could happen with the 1st flag, clear or crystal after loading. The sound effects are demand loaded on 1st use.

Highlighted blocks Not sure exactly what you mean here, a more specific example might help.

Mouse click speed control This shouldn't affect the game since it doesn't respond to double clicks.

New Game button When the mouse is over the button, a small secondary button with a down arrow appears on the lower left of the larger button. Clicking on the small button has the same effect as a right click on the larger button.

Mystery flags playing fast The flags might come from the "drag to flag" option. With "drag to flag" enabled, when you click on a square, drag the mouse out of the square, then release, it makes a flag.

The main suggestion I have right now is that it sounds like you'll want to turn off the "drag to flag" option (It's on by default).

elusiveconcordance
Noob

Post by elusiveconcordance » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:33 am

Lost mouse clicks <May be from lifting the mouse in a different square, particularly on the larger layouts.>
Perhaps true. By slowing down mouse movement, and coordinating the mouse release better this seems to have diminished. (Probable spastic user :wink:)

Slow mouse response
<It's possible this could happen with the 1st flag, clear or crystal after loading. The sound effects are demand loaded on 1st use. >
Why not load everything at once upon the changing of game options?

Highlighted blocks
<Not sure exactly what you mean here, a more specific example might help.>
OK. I can right-click right on a square that I know has a mine and it will just flash (highlight briefly) and NOT expose the jewel. This is highly repeatable.

Mouse click speed control
This shouldn't affect the game since it doesn't respond to double clicks.
I wasn't referring to double clicking, rather, clicking so fast that the game can't keep up.

New Game button
<When the mouse is over the button, a small secondary button with a down arrow appears on the lower left of the larger button. Clicking on the small button has the same effect as a right click on the larger button. >

Ah hah! You are right! Thanks

Mystery flags playing fast
<The flags might come from the "drag to flag" option. With "drag to flag" enabled, when you click on a square, drag the mouse out of the square, then release, it makes a flag.>
This option appears to highlight a row/column of squares and when you right-click-drag-release the mouse, it puts a flag in the first square. Am I missing something? What is the purpose of this? I disabled this option and there seems to be a speedier mouse as a result.